Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings, Chili, Breakfast and Cake - Multiple DO Cooks w/ Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings, Chili, Breakfast and Cake - Multiple DO Cooks w/ Kettle

Had so much fun this weekend playing with my DOs. Are you all tired of seeing them yet? If so, please tell me!

I have been using the Kettle as a DO table and it works pretty well. I started with a pot of chili. Weather was going to be cool Saturday night and chili with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sounded like it would hit the spot. I also had been wanting to try Pioneer Woman's Mountain Dew Apple Dumplings...which is weird because I do NOT like her at all, but this recipe was shared on Facebook by a friend and it caught my interest since it used Mountain Dew.

After I had the chili simmering for a bit, I started the apple dumplings.

Original Pioneer Woman recipe:

2 whole Granny Smith Apples
    2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
    2 sticks Butter
    1-1/2 cup Sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    Cinnamon, To Taste
    1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.

Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

OMG...these dumplings are crazy good! The crescent rolls are a little crunchy on top and ooey gooey on the bottom like dumplings. I did cut the recipe above in half and even then cut back even more on the sugar. And I dropped an apple slice so I only got 7 dumplings but they were perfect!

Melted butter and sugar mix

Added the crescents and rolled them in the mix and a little more cinnamon on top.

Added the Mountain Dew

Ready for baking. I used 6 briquettes under and 16 on top.

About 35 minutes later...

Did I already say these dumplings are crazy good?!?!

Well, I couldn't wait until after supper to try one...I had to have it while it was hot and fresh from the DO. With a little of the juice spooned over top. Sure it would have been great with ice cream but I just don't have a way to keep ice cream frozen at the farm.

Then I just sliced it all up to make for easy eating.

Oh yeah, here is the chili done.

Beautiful morning and simple breakfast the next AM - bacon, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs and ribeye. I messed this one up a little...I knew the ribeye I brought was big enough to share between the two of us but I didn't realize it was so thick so it got on the grill late. We ended up eating it later.

Had to head to my parent's for Mother's Day late Sunday afternoon...my job is always to do Mom's favorite cake. Yellow cake with home made caramel frosting (not pictured). I baked the cake in my 10" shallow DO...first time I've tried this and it turned out very well. Mixed the cake mix up in a Ziplock and baked two 8" rounds one at a time.

Done

If you are not a baker and don't have any toothpicks to check your cake, you can always look at the pan. When the cake is done it will start to pull away from the pan. Not sure if you can tell in this pic or not.

Turned out great...just not as thick as normal. This is because I did not mix the cake mix up for the 2 minutes suggested on the package. No electric mixer and my arm got tired.

Hope all you all had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend and thanks for viewing!
    Last edited by sweet_magnolia; 05-14-2013, 09:14 AM.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Is there anything you can't make in a DO Becky?

I find your skills with them amazing! Love the sound of that chili. I'd add beans tho
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Great job Becky. You definitely are an ace with those DOs. Those dumplings look awesome!
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Can I come live with you?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
        Paul

Comment

Just beautiful Becky. Never get tired of good food and good cooking, no matter what you use. All the best...
          ---------------------------------------------------
          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
          ---------------------------------------------------
          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Dutch Oven man that some killer
            lookin grub
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Everything looks Awesome, as usual, Becky!!!

I guess the steak & eggs was for me??? Sorry I didn't get there!!!

Did you ever try using the other Mountain Dew, made deep in the heart of CainTuck???

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

what size DO did you use for the dumplings?

Comment

Rock on Becky!!! Everything looks really good! Love your DO posts
                  Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Wowza! That is all just amazing. You are definitely the queen of the DO! Love the chili, LOVE the apple dumplings, and I agree, I don't really care for Ree either, but this recipe sounds amazing! Good on ya pioneer Becky. I tried to give you points, but you must have been the last person I gave them to cuz the points police said no. no. no.

Your farm is just beautiful. I know you guys can't wait to build a house there.

Comment

Beautiful!
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Great looking food!!

My wife and I was in the backyard (Richmond) and she asked me "what's that wonderful smell"?
                        I said, that lady in Lexington has her DO out again. .
                        I'm no Gynecologist
                        But I'll take a look at it

Comment

....... You Rock!
                          sigpic

Comment

Becky was rockin that Black Iron again! NIcely done Becky! It all looks so good too.
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Is there anything you can't make in a DO Becky?

I find your skills with them amazing! Love the sound of that chili. I'd add beans tho
                              I don't know, Rich. I think you can do just about anything in them. I'm going to try any way. And believe me...I ain't from Texas...there is beans in that there chili!

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                              Those dumplings look awesome!
                              They were off the hook! Give them a try some time.

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                              Can I come live with you?
                              We might be able to find an acre for you.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              I guess the steak & eggs was for me??? Sorry I didn't get there!!!
                              Next time, Bear, maybe you'll make it.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Did you ever try using the other Mountain Dew, made deep in the heart of CainTuck???
                              Plenty of it around but I try to stay away from it. One sip will do you in...

Originally posted by kave View Post
                              what size DO did you use for the dumplings?
                              I used a 10" shallow (4 quart). My parents gave it to me several years ago and it's become my favorite DO.

Originally posted by CoffeeCreek View Post
                              My wife and I was in the backyard (Richmond) and she asked me "what's that wonderful smell"?
                              I said, that lady in Lexington has her DO out again. .
                              This is actually at our little weekend get away place down in Lee County about 20 minutes from Irvine. But yeah, I think the wind was blowing towards Richmond.
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X