2 Packet Dutch Oven Pot Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Packet Dutch Oven Pot Roast

Here's another recipe a friend shared on Facebook and I thought it sounded tasty. I used a chuck roast that was about 2.5 lbs. Gave it a sear in a hot 10" deep DO and added 1 packet of onion soup mix, 1 packet of as jus mix and 1 can of beef broth. And to be honest, lots of activity was going on at the farm on this day and I didn't pay any attention to how many coals I used or how long it cooked. Found a nice semi-flat spot in the drive in front of the barn for my DO...couldn't cook where I normally do and couldn't even get the Kettle out of the barn.

When the roast started getting tender, I added some new potatoes, a can of WARNING - green beans, and some portabellas.

Here it is all done. I would have rather had carrots instead of the beans, but I left them at home.

And a neighbor gave me some nice garlic chives that she needed to thin out.

I put those out in my herb garden I started.

Tire on the left has the garlic chives. Tire on the right has basil, rosemary, sweet mint and parsley. But in the picture, it all just looks like weeds. Thanks for viewing!

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Give me a nice few slices of sourdough bread and I would be good to go. Looks delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
      Give me a nice few slices of sourdough bread and I would be good to go. Looks delicious.
      Add a glass of nice red wine and you've got the perfect meal. Nice work Becky!
      JT

Comment

That looks fantastic. Would have preferred the carrots too, but bet it was tasty.

Nice start to the herb garden. I like the garlic chives for certain things.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Looks great Becky!!!
          Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Becky that DO cook looks outstanding even with the Green beans. Yum! Thanks foe sharing.
            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita
            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Becky I love the addition of the shrooms...I woulda chopped them up a bit and cooked them longer but that's just me...
              And hey...I am NOT the master of the DO...You are
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Re:

Great work there Becky

Love the emphasis on the Herbs there. We all need a fresh Herb garden
                for our cooking and pickling.

Here in the east we're having a fairly cool wet summer that is a bit late.
                We'll help make up for the losses last summer in the west if all goes well
                through the rest of the year.

I've noticed ALDI's is carrying those Portabella Mushrooms lately. Their baby carrots this week are .59 cent and they have some other veggies
                affordable this week. Those big slicing cuke's are .25 cent each too.
                (with some apple cider vinegar, sliced cukes, and onions....it could feel like summer with those victuals ya got there. ;)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Man, a big bowl of that and two of my homebrewed vienna largers and I'd be out like a light
                  I'm no Gynecologist
                  But I'll take a look at it

Comment

You sure do now how to make a fella homesick. That looks like a beautiful piece of property.

I have a little over a 100 acres west of Louisville and my house is about 15 miles from there. 20 miles to the closest McDonald's....... Dry county but I love it.

Sure hope to be able to stop by your place in the future.

Comment

Looks fabulous as usual Becky, and LOVE the herb garden.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks y'all!

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        Becky I love the addition of the shrooms...I woulda chopped them up a bit and cooked them longer but that's just me...
                        I did throw them in kinda late and was too lazy at that point to chop them so I just cut them in half.

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                        I like the garlic chives for certain things.
                        I'm open to suggestions and ideas, Ray!

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                        Great work there Becky

Love the emphasis on the Herbs there. We all need a fresh Herb garden
                        for our cooking and pickling.

I've noticed ALDI's is carrying those Portabella Mushrooms lately. Their baby carrots this week are .59 cent and they have some other veggies
                        affordable this week. Those big slicing cuke's are .25 cent each too.
                        (with some apple cider vinegar, sliced cukes, and onions....it could feel like summer with those victuals ya got there. ;)
                        I'm going to have to check out ALDI's sometime. I hear a lot of people talking about them.

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                        You sure do now how to make a fella homesick. That looks like a beautiful piece of property.

I have a little over a 100 acres west of Louisville and my house is about 15 miles from there. 20 miles to the closest McDonald's....... Dry county but I love it.

Sure hope to be able to stop by your place in the future.
                        You're welcome to visit anytime. Dry county here, too. Beer store in next county is closer than McDonald's though.

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                        Looks fabulous as usual Becky, and LOVE the herb garden.
                        Here's a better pic of the rosemary, parsley, basil and mint. This is when I first planted them in early May....they have really taken off and are 3 times the size now. They are near a place where the water drains so they get lots of water and not in direct sun. Garbage bag on top of the soil has really helped keeping weeds down.

Thanks again, everyone!
                        Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I had a 6qt Lodge DO in my hands at Wally World yesterday but was in a hurry and didn't grab it. After looking at this thread I'm going back for it in the morning!!
                          G Spot BBQ Hittin' The Spot Since 2004

Comment

Originally posted by 3montes View Post
                            I had a 6qt Lodge DO in my hands at Wally World yesterday but was in a hurry and didn't grab it. After looking at this thread I'm going back for it in the morning!!
                            Yay!!
                            Becky

Weber Smokey Joe
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Love the garlic chives! And I'd have a plate of that beef. I'd have preferred carrots too
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X