Paella Pan Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paella Pan Suggestions

I am looking for a paella pan that will fit in my 22.5" Weber. My concern is, with the way they are designed, the handles will protrude too far and interfere with the lid. I'd like to get something at least 16 inches in diameter, larger if possible. If I have to, I can bend the handles upward, butt would rather not.

Getting on this paella gig!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
    I am looking for a paella pan that will fit in my 22.5" Weber. My concern is, with the way they are designed, the handles will protrude too far and interfere with the lid. I'd like to get something at least 16 inches in diameter, larger if possible. If I have to, I can bend the handles upward, butt would rather not.

Getting on this paella gig!
    Maybe you are going about this wrong.... Looks like reason enough to get a bigger weber.. maybe the 26.5... Good luck!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
      Maybe you are going about this wrong.... Looks like reason enough to get a bigger weber.. maybe the 26.5... Good luck!!
      The pans are cheaper... I can modify the handles if need be...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Pop Pop,

I looked and noticed they were carbon steel...then I switched to thinking about cast iron...here is a lodge cast iron pan...not toooooo pricey, and cast iron is about versatile too. LINK

On Edit...another place I read said to avoid cast iron as they retain too much heat? Maybe this will scorch the rice? Hmmmmmm
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...sh+Paella+Pans

This is a 16.5" pan.. you will definitely have to bend up the handles... but for $40, it might be an option for you.

Or you could go with the 15" as another option... for $30.

I bought mine at Sur La Table and have been very happy with it... even used it for a pizza pan! :D

Hers is another option where the handles already appear to be bent up. $46.90 black steel 15.75"
          http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-...073311&sr=1-42
          Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
          Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
          A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
          A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
          Frogmats
          Maverick ET 732
          Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

I'd suggest the 15-inch pan.

www.latienda.com is the best source I've seen for quality - their stuff is actually from Spain....

http://www.tienda.com/paella/products/pp-07.html?site=1

They've got quite a bit of other stuff that is worth checking out, too....
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Here's some pictures of my 18"(46cm) (carbon steel) paella on my 22.5" Weber. The handles protrude just a touch...it almost closes, but not quite seals.

It's so close I'm sure I could modify it if I wanted to...I've always just dealt with it. Maybe I could just make a foil gasket if you wanted a tight seal. But ordering new, a slightly smaller one should fit.

Dan
              Last edited by gonefishin; 08-26-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                Here's some pictures of my 18"(46cm) (carbon steel) paella on my 22.5" Weber.
                Based on Dan's experience above, it looks to me like this 17-inch pan would work pretty well!

http://www.tienda.com/paella/products/pp-02.html?site=1

Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hey, thanks you guys... you rock!!

gonefishin, that's good to know!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

One thing I noticed is that the 15-inch pan is on sale at LaTienda for a great price, but the 17-inch pan, even though it isn't on sale, has a pretty good price, too. ...

The carbon steel construction really is the way to go for paella - centuries of Spaniards can't be wrong, especially when we are talking about Spain's national dish, right? It will season over time as you use it, like a cast iron pan, but while it is still "new" you want to be sure to keep it oiled in order to keep it from rusting. There's plenty of good information about caring for your pan, and if I remember correctly, even LaTienda has a nice little section regarding care and maintenence.

Dan (GoneFishin) Dave (Hoser), Brook (HistoricFoodie) or myself are always available for questions, as well.

Welcome to the world of paella! It looks like you're off to a good start, so the only advice I'll offer is to be sure to get the best smoked paprika you can find - it really, really makes for some great paella!
                    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 08-26-2014, 01:11 PM.
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                      One thing I noticed is that the 15-inch pan is on sale at LaTienda for a great price, but the 17-inch pan, even though it isn't on sale, has a pretty good price, too. ...

The carbon steel construction really is the way to go for paella - centuries of Spaniards can't be wrong, especially when we are talking about Spain's national dish, right? It will season over time as you use it, like a cast iron pan, but while it is still "new" you want to be sure to keep it oiled in order to keep it from rusting. There's plenty of good informaiton about caring for your pan, and if I remember correctly, even LaTienda has a nice little section regarding care and maintenence.

Dan (gonefishin) Dave (hoser), Brook (HistoricFoodie) or myself are always avaialble for questions, as well.

Welcome to the world of paella! It looks like you're off to a good start, so the only advice I'll offer is to be sure to get the best smoked paprika you can find - it really, really makes for some great paella!
                      Thank you for the advice!! I'm getting on the road to go home right now, so I'll check things out when I get there...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        Thank you for the advice!! I'm getting on the road to go home right now, so I'll check things out when I get there...
                        Dang P³, I didn't know you worked at a bank...
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                          I'd suggest the 15-inch pan.

www.latienda.com is the best source I've seen for quality - their stuff is actually from Spain....

http://www.tienda.com/paella/products/pp-07.html?site=1

They've got quite a bit of other stuff that is worth checking out, too....
                          I love La Tienda! I have ordered several items from them over the years and never had a problem or been disappointed in quality!

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                          Ouch!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                            Not quite... butt I get into work at 5:30am, so I get to leave at 2:00pm.

ActuaLEE, my real job is designing printed circuit boards... THAT is why I am so nuckin' futz...
                            Last edited by HawgHeaven; 08-26-2014, 02:20 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Done!!!

Okay folks, I pulled the trigger on the 17" LaTienda... it's the real deal. I cannot wait to get into this gig!!
                              Last edited by HawgHeaven; 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X