Paella Pan Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
    Okay folks, I pulled the trigger on the 17" LaTienda... it's the real deal. I cannot wait to get into this gig!!
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

You're going to be one happy man with that paellera - the folks at LaTienda really will treat you right!

The Calaspara "Bomba" rice that they offer is "the real deal" when it comes to making paella. This can be expensive and/or hard to find, but another alternative is to use Arborio rice (commonly used for Italian risotto), which can be easier to find. Long-grain rice tends not to absorb the flavours, and short-grain rice doesn't cut it as it will usually go mushy. A medium-grain will work the best, with the Calaspara or Arborio being the best choices.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
        You're going to be one happy man with that paellera - the folks at LaTienda really will treat you right!

The Calaspara "Bomba" rice that they offer is "the real deal" when it comes to making paella. This can be expensive and/or hard to find, but another alternative is to use Arborio rice (commonly used for Italian risotto), which can be easier to find. Long-grain rice tends not to absorb the flavours, and short-grain rice doesn't cut it as it will usually go mushy. A medium-grain will work the best, with the Calaspara or Arborio being the best choices.
        Thanks for all the help! Yeah, I was wondering what rices would be best for this... Gotta lot to learn, butt this is gonna be fun!

I have a vacation coming up in October with some friends... I want to do this for them. I gotta practice...
        Last edited by HawgHeaven; 08-26-2014, 03:19 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Paella pan (paellera) + rice + saffron + Pimentón de la Vera (smoked paprika), and you are in like Flynn! All the rest is just how YOU want to do it ~ there are hundreds of ways....

Enjoy!
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Types of rice

I usually use CalRose rice...it absorbs flavors well without getting overly creamy. I have used Bomba rice before...but, like you say, it's expensive and hard to find.

I've always been happy with saffron from Penzy's...but there are lots of good alternatives out there.

enjoy!

oh, the rice link is pretty good...check it out for other types of dishes as well

Comment

I was just cruising around on La Tienda's website and noticed that on the main page:

www.latienda.com

There is - up near the right-hand corner - an offer for a free .pdf file with paella recipes.

I downloaded it and it is definitely good for getting your feet wet and familiarising yourself with the concepts, but keep in mind that aside from the primary ingredinets listed above, paella is what YOU want it to be! I've made it with chicken, with seafood, with venison and mushrooms - and they've all been great. Back in the day, it was made with snails, even....
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I was just cruising around on La Tienda's website and noticed that on the main page:

www.latienda.com

There is - up near the right-hand corner - an offer for a free .pdf file with paella recipes.

I downloaded it and it is definitely good for getting your feet wet and familiarising yourself with the concepts, but keep in mind that aside from the primary ingredinets listed above, paella is what YOU want it to be! I've made it with chicken, with seafood, with venison and mushrooms - and they've all been great. Back in the day, it was made with snails, even....
                There will be no escargot in my paella... not yet.

I did, however, get the pdf... haven't had a chance to cruise thru it yet.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                  There will be no escargot in my paella... not yet.

I did, however, get the pdf... haven't had a chance to cruise thru it yet.
                  You may be best off to use Hosers methods, then follow the LaTienda recipe loosely. The LaTienda recipe uses a ton of rice, more for a pilaf than a paella. You just want a little layer of rice. The LaTienda recipe also has you baking the paella for 20 minutes. The recipe is certainly fine...but primarily paella is something that is cooked over the heat.

I usually start with my coals in the middle of the pan, while I cook all my various proteins, vegetables, etc (cook, pull off...cook the next...pull off). After I add the broth to the rice I'll move all my coals to the outside, making a ring of coals on the edge, under the paella.

Some people like their rice creamy, others dry...I'm somewhere in between...with wet rice but with a little soccarat developed. But...things don't always happen quite perfect...though it's always good...and the rice is always the star of the show!

Definition by Food Republic - Socorrat... A beautiful word for something seemingly banal — the rice that gets crunchy and forms a crust at the bottom of the pan. You might wonder why crusty rice deserves such a name, especially since it is a by-product that many people discard. A true paella is cooked in a wide, shallow metal pan so that the rice is thinly spread and touching the bottom: prime conditions for rice crust formation. Socorrat, from the Spanish verb socarrar (meaning to singe), is an intrinsic part of paella, the proverbial icing on the cake (albeit in reverse). In order to achieve socorrat in paella, one must turn up the heat at the end of cooking and engage the senses: The rice should smell toasted, making a crackling sound, and it should feel a bit hard when you poke a spoon into the bottom of the pan. Et voilà, you've got socorrat.

Comment

I plan on using Hoser's method... and maybe tweak it with some alligator...

Seriously, Hoser's recipe got me going on this, and I plan to stick close to that. Gonna take awhile, butt stay tuned... I haven't even got the pan yet...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Definitely agree with Dan - the recipe from La Tienda will get your foot in the door where ingredients and the procedural sequence are concerned, but Dave's experience will take your paella all the way to the end zone!
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Definitely agree with Dan - the recipe from La Tienda will get your foot in the door where ingredients and the procedural sequence are concerned, but Dave's experience will take your paella all the way to the end zone!

I will be bugging you guys...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

YAY!!!!!!!!

My 17" LaTienda paella pan arrived today!! It is a thing of beauty, and I cannot wait to fire it up!

Oh do I have wood...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Does it fit inside the Coppertop P3?
                            sigpic

Comment

Go for it Hawg...what could be better than a nice long weekend to perfect your skills as a paellero?
                              Looking forward to seeing the results.
                              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

My 18.5 came yesterday.
                                Hoser's thread sold me on getting one of these.

Looking forward to your cook Phil!
                                sigpic
                                BGE XL
                                BGE Mini
                                MAK 1 star #385
                                Bradley OBS w/Mods
                                Weber 22.5 WSM
                                Weber 22.5 Kettle
                                Pit Barrel Cooker
                                La Caja China
                                Mini-WSM

Comment