Wanna Be A Sausage Head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna Be A Sausage Head??

For you guys that want to be a sausage head and have sat on the fence due to thinking it is very expensive. No need to spend 1k in equipment.. Northern Tool can help you out these holiday's

I bought on of these stuffers over 5 years ago for my buddy and hunting partner Smoke Doc and it has worked flawless all these years and cranked out 100's if not 1000's of pounds of links with no issues..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9319_200449319

Also this is the only other item you need.. A good grinder.. I bought this grinder some now 15-18 years ago maybe longer and it is grinding through the meat as it did the day I bought it...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267

So for under 200 bones you can start making your own links and sausages..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Hmmmm....
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks TH..
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

everyone here use a hand stuffer instead of usin the grinder with a stuffing tube attached???
        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

I use my grinder to stuff, kind of a PITA though.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I have both of those tools and they have worked perfectly for me.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

Originally posted by l20a View Post
              i have both of those tools and they have worked perfectly for me.
              x 2 👍
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks TH, it makes me want to try it sooner than later now. When Xmas is all done and my supercharger is payed off that's my next purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by THUMPERRRR View Post
                  everyone here use a hand stuffer instead of usin the grinder with a stuffing tube attached???
                  Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                  I use my grinder to stuff, kind of a PITA though.
                  For the couple batches I've done I've used the stuffing attachment on my grinder (kitchenaid attachment) and SmokinOutBack is right, it's a PITA, and generally I end up with an overprocessed "meat paste" instead of nice ground meat. I really want a stuffer so I can do some decent sausages, but SWMBO says I don't do enough sausage to justify the expense. Kind of a catch 22 for me. I don't do sausage because I don't like the results with my current equipment, but I don't do enough to justify buying better/more equipment. Ugh. Someday I'll just buy a stuffer without telling her and sneak it into the house I suppose. Thanks for the head's up TH, that'll probably be the stuffer I buy if/when I do.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

That's exactly the same kit I have and it has worked flawlessly. Last year I also bought one of these:

Really makes mixing large batches easier. Small batches ~4 lbs or less I mix with the paddle in the Kitchenaid.
                    A few of my favorite things:
                    Good Whiskey
                    Good Food
                    Bad Girls
                    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                    Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      Hmmmm....
                      You know you want to...

sigpic
                      BGE XL
                      BGE Mini
                      MAK 1 star #385
                      Bradley OBS w/Mods
                      Weber 22.5 WSM
                      Weber 22.5 Kettle
                      Pit Barrel Cooker
                      La Caja China
                      Mini-WSM

Comment

I've got similar models, probably the same just with a different name. They are good machines. I'm looking to upgrade though. Hopefully Santa delivers me a Hobart mixer with the grinder attachment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Good Info. I did not realize how cheap you can get into it. Many people are unaware of this.

I inherited my cast iron stuffer and a good large hand grinder which both work well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                            For the couple batches I've done I've used the stuffing attachment on my grinder (kitchenaid attachment) and SmokinOutBack is right, it's a PITA, and generally I end up with an overprocessed "meat paste" instead of nice ground meat. I really want a stuffer so I can do some decent sausages, but SWMBO says I don't do enough sausage to justify the expense. Kind of a catch 22 for me. I don't do sausage because I don't like the results with my current equipment, but I don't do enough to justify buying better/more equipment. Ugh. Someday I'll just buy a stuffer without telling her and sneak it into the house I suppose. Thanks for the head's up TH, that'll probably be the stuffer I buy if/when I do.
                            Mike - I've run into this, and the reason of course is that even without a grinding plate, running the meat through a grinder a second time will still get it "ground" again due to the "worm" that moves the meat along.

I've seen quite a few people come up with a cure for this problem - season/cure your meat in small chunks or cubes, rather than grinding it first - after it has sat in the refrigerator overnight to cure and develop the flavours, THEN run through the grinder and plate straight into the casing. I have not tried this, so I can't comment on the results - but it makes sense because you eliminate a step through the grinder, and therefore it doesn't get ground too finely.

Another option might be to grind with the "coarse-est" (most coarse? ) plate that you have , then season/cure, then run it through a second time in order to stuff.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of my #10 Porkert hand-cranked grinder with the stuffing attachments, but if I get some cash, I would like to get a stuffer - however, I definitely consider it to be only a luxury - NOT a necessity. People make sausage all the time all over the world with just a hand-cranked grinder, and have been doing so for decades, if not centuries. That sausage is usually the stuff that we try to imitate - or at least emulate - so there must be something to it.
                            Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 12-05-2014, 12:17 PM.
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by Sam3 View Post
                              You know you want to...

Yes I do...

but 200 bucks is a little tough to come up with right now
                              Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM.
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X