Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled Pork Attempt, keep it or pitch it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
    I also don't see a need to inject a butt. Maybe if you were cooking in a comp, but not for general eating at home.

Again....JMHO-YMMV

I doubt I will inject a butt again. I had read in here where a guy injected a butt, the pics looked good, my experience injecting a turkey produced favorable results, I had a new bottle of creole butter left over from a 3 pack so hey, why not? If you don't try, you will never know.
    The biggest takeaway from all this is realizing the need to make sure the temp readings are accurate and adjust as needed. This tidbit should help with future cooks across the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      People took the time to learn their cookers. How they cooked and at what temp they cooked the best at. They didn't constantly open the lid and check. They know that for a ribs, butt, or brisket cooked at a certain temp that they don't need to be checking the IT til say 3 hours in. They also went by the look and feel of the meat because every piece of meat is different.
      Basically they learned to cook without all the new equipment before they started using the new stuff. Just because a piece of meat has cooked for 4 hours or the IT is 195°, doesn't mean the meat is done(poultry excepted for temp). Learn to do a bend test or toothpick poke for ribs, probe tender test for brisket or butts.
      Seems like now days people new to smoking think it's all going by a clock or temp gauge to tell if something is done. Then they ask why when it doesn't come out the way they expect it to. The time and temp are just tools to use. Not the end all.

JMHO-YMMV
      Yup, I totally agree. I stopped using all the wires and probes years ago. Look. Feel. Take its temp toward the end with a Thermapen/Thermopop... Nice probes on both to get that feel.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
      X