Smoking a Whole Garlic Bulb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking a Whole Garlic Bulb?

I've seen some where smoking a whole garlic bulb but can't find it, all I remember is they sliced the top oe bottom off, added EVOO or butter then let it smoke till tinder, any suggestions on how to slice it and what to add, butter EVOO?
    I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Here's one I did from this thread...Excellent!
    http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8881

If you don’t use smoked / roasted garlic, you should, because it is really good. I cut the top off of a head, and drizzled it with EVOO. Some sea salt, and a dash of CBP, and it is off to the smoker with ya!

Here is is out of the smoker. It is good on crackers with some cheese too, but I used most of it in the Calzone.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

It's very simple. Peel off the loose paper skin, leaving the heads intact. Cut the top off the heads, add a tsp or so of olive oil to each, a little salt and pepper. Place the heads in the smoker on a piece of aluminum foil for an hour or so, while you are smoking your dinner. The longer it's in there, the softer it gets.

If you so desire to store them, place them in a lidded jar with a drizzle of EVOO, and store in the fridge. They'll be good for a month.

Yum!

On edit: I see Dana got to it before I did, and we're on the same page!
      Last edited by HawgHeaven; 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I stuff mine with butter after slicing off the top get as much as you can in there. Once it's soft I squeeze the garlic out onto toasted bread and spread. Garlic bread at it's best
        sigpic
        Weber 22.5 kettle
        Smokin in the Smokies
        Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
        Jerry

Comment

Or...
          When roasting garlic for my salsas etc...I just wrap the whole head in foil, no oil, and roast for an hour or so on the hotter side of the smoker...

Just depends on what you are gonna use it for...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, this helps a bunch
            I'm no Gynecologist

Comment

I used to just slice the top off and keep it whole, now I slice the top off and break the cloves apart, doesn't take quite as long. The best garlic bread you'll ever have is toast some bread (Italian, French, etc) then take one of those cloves and squeeze that garlic right out and spread it like butter. Oh man is that good. I make a creamed garlic soup, I'll bet smoked roasted garlic would be good in that.
              Mustang electric smoker
              King Kooker vertical gasser
              Charbroil silver smoker
              Earnhardt Jr smoker
              Brinkman smoke n' grill
              a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                I used to just slice the top off and keep it whole, now I slice the top off and break the cloves apart, doesn't take quite as long. The best garlic bread you'll ever have is toast some bread (Italian, French, etc) then take one of those cloves and squeeze that garlic right out and spread it like butter. Oh man is that good. I make a creamed garlic soup, I'll bet smoked roasted garlic would be good in that.
                I'll be waiting for my invite to that!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That sounds fantastic, would love to get your recipe for it.
                  I'm no Gynecologist

Comment

Not smoked but the fastest way to roast garlic on the stove top in a skillet. Break apart the head and place the unpeeled cloves in a skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until brown spots appear and garlic is softened. 10-15 minutes is all it takes and it will squeeze right out.
                    sigpic
                    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                    -AMNPS
                    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                    gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                      Not smoked but the fastest way to roast garlic on the stove top in a skillet. Break apart the head and place the unpeeled cloves in a skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until brown spots appear and garlic is softened. 10-15 minutes is all it takes and it will squeeze right out.
                      I've heard of that method, butt never did it... hmmmm.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I first tried this several years ago and it has been my go to method ever since. Its just too easy.
                        sigpic
                        Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                        -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                        -AMNPS
                        -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                        gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                          I first tried this several years ago and it has been my go to method ever since. Its just too easy.
                          I've always done the whole garlic heads... never gave that a thought!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by CoffeeCreek View Post
                            That sounds fantastic, would love to get your recipe for it.
                            This is my garlic soup recipe, there are many like it, but this one is mine...

So one of my favorite local Italian restaurants has a cream of garlic soup. One day I set out to copy cat it. This is my basic version, you could add in different flavors, which I will probably do next time I make it. When I came up with this like 15 years ago I was a bit more raw in my cooking. It's a little time consuming but well worth it. The only rule here is that if you live with someone, you must both eat this or you will not be able to tolerate each other for a couple of days. I wrote this recipe for my husband if you were wondering why I give specific steps in doing things.

Next time I do I will probably add some onion in there when sautéing and try some other herbs maybe like thyme. And definitely some smoked garlic!!

Garlic soup

5 heads of garlic
                            3 boxes of chicken broth
                            1 pint Of heavy cream
                            Salt & pepper to taste (I use white pepper)
                            Fresh grated parmesan

1. Pre-heat oven to 350
                            2. Take 3 heads of garlic and cut top off, then separate into individual cloves. Leave just individual skin on the cloves. Place in tinfoil (doubled) and drizzle with olive oil. Fold tinfoil up over the top like a bundle and place in oven. I usually start checking it around 20 – 25 minutes.
                            3. Take 2 other heads of garlic and peel and separate. This needs to be minced. The easiest way to do this is with the chopper. When roasted garlic is done, take it out and let it cool. I test it by taking a sharp knife and sticking it through the skin, if it goes into the garlic with no pressure, it’s done.
                            4. Start sautéing the minced garlic in olive oil. After about 5 minutes or so, I add the roasted garlic and let it all cook until the minced is tender. I do this over like medium low so it doesn’t brown. If you want to, after the garlic is cooked, sprinkle it with flour. This will be kind of like a rue that will thicken it some later (just like doing creamed dried beef).
                            5. Add one of the boxes of broth, and bring the temp up and let it boil for a few minutes.
                            6. Take the soup in small batches through either the food processor or blender. I get out a big container or bowl to put the pureed soup into until the cook pot is empty. I usually run the pureed soup through a strainer when putting it back into the pot. I then run that thick garlic from the strainer back through the blender.
                            7. Add two other boxes of chicken broth and cream. Do not boil again.
                            8. Add fresh grated Parmesan to bowl and ladle soup over top of cheese.

(There are many ways you can use this soup, we’ve put it over potatoes, dipped hot fresh bread in it, and used it instead of Alfredo sauce over noodles with cooked chicken breast pieces).
                            Mustang electric smoker
                            King Kooker vertical gasser
                            Charbroil silver smoker
                            Earnhardt Jr smoker
                            Brinkman smoke n' grill
                            a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

This is my garlic soup recipe, there are many like it, but this one is mine...

So one of my favorite local Italian restaurants has a cream of garlic soup. One day I set out to copy cat it. This is my basic version, you could add in different flavors, which I will probably do next time I make it. When I came up with this like 15 years ago I was a bit more raw in my cooking. It's a little time consuming but well worth it. The only rule here is that if you live with someone, you must both eat this or you will not be able to tolerate each other for a couple of days. I wrote this recipe for my husband if you were wondering why I give specific steps in doing things.

Next time I do I will probably add some onion in there when sautéing and try some other herbs maybe like thyme. And definitely some smoked garlic!!

Garlic soup

5 heads of garlic
                              3 boxes of chicken broth
                              1 pint Of heavy cream
                              Salt & pepper to taste (I use white pepper)
                              Fresh grated parmesan

1. Pre-heat oven to 350
                              2. Take 3 heads of garlic and cut top off, then separate into individual cloves. Leave just individual skin on the cloves. Place in tinfoil (doubled) and drizzle with olive oil. Fold tinfoil up over the top like a bundle and place in oven. I usually start checking it around 20 – 25 minutes.
                              3. Take 2 other heads of garlic and peel and separate. This needs to be minced. The easiest way to do this is with the chopper. When roasted garlic is done, take it out and let it cool. I test it by taking a sharp knife and sticking it through the skin, if it goes into the garlic with no pressure, it’s done.
                              4. Start sautéing the minced garlic in olive oil. After about 5 minutes or so, I add the roasted garlic and let it all cook until the minced is tender. I do this over like medium low so it doesn’t brown. If you want to, after the garlic is cooked, sprinkle it with flour. This will be kind of like a rue that will thicken it some later (just like doing creamed dried beef).
                              5. Add one of the boxes of broth, and bring the temp up and let it boil for a few minutes.
                              6. Take the soup in small batches through either the food processor or blender. I get out a big container or bowl to put the pureed soup into until the cook pot is empty. I usually run the pureed soup through a strainer when putting it back into the pot. I then run that thick garlic from the strainer back through the blender.
                              7. Add two other boxes of chicken broth and cream. Do not boil again.
                              8. Add fresh grated Parmesan to bowl and ladle soup over top of cheese.

(There are many ways you can use this soup, we’ve put it over potatoes, dipped hot fresh bread in it, and used it instead of Alfredo sauce over noodles with cooked chicken breast pieces).
                              Cheers Sister!...my nexest doofer gig!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X