Twice smoked sirloin steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twice smoked sirloin steak

Or whatever you wanna call it. Got this idea after bowling all liqoured up Thursday. Couple of days ago I smoked a 12 pound sirloin for sliced roast beef sammies. Coated with tatonka dust and took to IT 127. Got to thinking how it would taste grilled again. But had some worries. Would it dry out? How hot to run the grill? Would it get hot and if the chunk of fat would get hot. Cold fat is horrible but I love it on a nice hot steak. Kinda taste like butter.
    Decided to go thick, probably inch and a half.

The slab bout 2 pounds

On to the akorn. As you can see it could've been hotter, but was worried about drying out.

Cut in half one for the wife and one for me. Very good. Still nice medium rare in middle. Was a little dry on the outside edge but still good. Temp was about right just wish I'd let them on a little longer. Definitely do again. Love these big sirloins almost like a poor man's prime rib when done right. For dessert, RowdyRay's peaches got me thinking about a recipe I always wanted to try. And I had 2 peaches left. Halved them and put in a bag that had 1/2c honey, 1/2T vanilla, and 1/4t cinnamon. Grilled about 2 minutes per side. Put some homemade strawberry rhubarb jam in the middle. Then topped with leftover honey mixture.

Oh I wish we had some vanilla ice cream. These were so good. Definitely do these again. Thanks for looking!
    sigpic

OMG! Had me drooling over the slab of beef, but the peaches......

Like the jam idea. Have some of that in the pantry. Also have some of dad's homemade syrups too. Hmmmm.....
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Comment

All looks Great, Ryan!!!

What temp did you re-smoke that slab??

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
        Or whatever you wanna call it. Got this idea after bowling all liqoured up Thursday.
        Ahh- now that's an interesting motovation

Ya know...I bet the hotter the better on the grill. Maybe let the thing attain room temp first too. The center of course would heat quicker.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My temp was about 325. I'm thinking 4-450 would be better. Hmm still have about 8 pounds left and its almost brunch time.

The wife liked it and she usually never likes my idea's when I get home from bowling
          sigpic

Comment

My temp was about 325. I'm thinking 4-450 would be better.

Shucks----I've done it @ about 500* on my grill, but my smoker only goes to 275*.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have smoked a couple of sirloins like that and it is one of my favorite ways to do beef. As you said, kind of like a poor mans Prime Rib. Good stuff!
              A few of my favorite things:
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Cool idea Ryan

I gotta get on that whole sirloin smoke, yours looks really nice.

If you have a charcoal chimney, maybe light a full chimney, let coals gray over and put a grate over it for your sear? Not sure of temps, butt that sumbitch will be pretty hot
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  Cool idea Ryan

If you have a charcoal chimney, maybe light a full chimney, let coals gray over and put a grate over it for your sear? Not sure of temps, butt that sumbitch will be pretty hot
                  Likely at least 800-900 Well with lump anyway. In a previous life, I used a chimney of lump to make an alloy of magnesium and aluminum... don't ask why
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Cool idea Ryan

I usually dump it on my pizza pan/heat deflector under my grate when I grill. I don't like over cooked sirloin. That's why I went low. Next time I'll try it hotter.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking Thunderdome's searing Vortex would also be a good tool for the sear
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        Likely at least 800-900 Well with lump anyway. In a previous life, I used a chimney of lump to make an alloy of magnesium and aluminum... don't ask why
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking Thunderdome's searing Vortex would also be a good tool for the sear
                          X2. Such a handy thing to have. Talked to him the other day... he's working on getting it out there

Comment

I usually dump it on my pizza pan/heat deflector under my grate when I grill. I don't like over cooked sirloin. That's why I went low. Next time I'll try it hotter.
                            Let it get to RT. Trust me, it will end up rarer.

Comment

Working...
                            X