Don't Fear the Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Fear the Brisket

Got to thinking the other day, as sometimes happens while I am out doing yard work, As I was walking past my smokers, I was thinking about how people are usually so stressed about their first brisket smoke. So since we've had a bit of an influx of new members lately, I thought I would throw this out there.

Do not fear the brisket!

I've only been smoking meats since March of 2008. I haven't smoked a ton of briskets but I've smoked a few. I've never had a bad one. Now I have only tasted mine so I don't have much of a basis for comparison, but I, and my guests, thought they were pretty darn good.

I attribute this to one of 3 things. Either . . .
    1. I am an extremely talented and gifted pitmaster.
    2. I'm lucky.
    3. Brisket is not that difficult to smoke if you can maintain steady temps and follow a few instructions.
    Of course, I'd like for Number 1 to be the reason, but I don't really think so. Number 2 is a distinct possiblilty I suppose but I've smoked good briskets on two different smokers so I am ruling out luck.

Which leaves Number 3. I believe this is the correct answer. Brisket, despite all of the hype, is really not all that difficult to smoke if you can maintain temps and can follow some instructions.

So . . . if you have not smoked a brisket yet, would like to, but are nervous about it, pick a weekend for the smoke, read Capt Dan's Basic Brisket Tutorial, go buy a brisket and smoke it.

You'll be glad you did.

Dave
    Last edited by DDave; 01-17-2012, 07:30 PM.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Great post and how timely! Brisket is next on my list. We will be getting one today and smoke it this weekend. Thanks for the post!
    I'll let everyone know how it turns out..with pics!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan
    -------------------------------------
    Cooking isnt science''

Comment

Number three. I am of the low, slow method, not the quick sear high temp. Smoke it low and slow, keep it TBS not billowing smoke, don't open the lid to check on it for at least 9 hours, don't poke it with a probe and pull it out. If your gonna put a probe in it, leave it in or don't do it at all. Briskets are a piece of cake. Just takes time and patience.
      sigpic

Comment

yeppers,there's nothing to it. picking and trimming a good brisket doesn't hurt either.
        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
        cast iron Hibachi
        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
        & rotisserator
        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
        my music recordings-
        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

All the above but add........................PATIENCE.
          First timers have to get over the idea that you can do one in 7 hours and 165° is done temp.
          An impatient pit master can't make good brisket.

Tom

Comment

Ya wanna know what I think?¿ I think that all the above advise is some damn sound advice.
            "Don't fear the brisket"
            Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
            Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Very good timing Dave...... I got one going on in about an hour.....
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                Number three. I am of the low, slow method, not the quick sear high temp. Smoke it low and slow, keep it TBS not billowing smoke, don't open the lid to check on it for at least 9 hours, don't poke it with a probe and pull it out. If your gonna put a probe in it, leave it in or don't do it at all. Briskets are a piece of cake. Just takes time and patience.
                Love the added flavor a good sear to the fat side especially adds to the brisket. take it straight from the fridge to the super hot grill to sear and you are not changing things much except for the flavor that carmelized fat is gonna add. still got to do the low slow and will take 9 hours plus...
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I remember 25+ years give or take a few, when I did my first brisket. Didn't know I was supposed to be afraid. Didn't know much in them days. Heck, back then there wasn't an intenet or much of anything else for info. All I had was a barrel smoker anyhow. Most we ever did back then was smoke pork chops, pork steak and ribs. So whats a brisket? It was just a BIG hunk of meat that unless you chopped it up and put in a crock pot it would come out tough. Problem was, after going to so many weddings, plus my own where smoked brisket was served I had to do it myself. I didn't know how long it would take, all I had was a target temp. Didn't know I was better off trimming a little fat and scoring the rest. Didn't know about marinades or rubs even. That first one turned out ok. Wasn't tough but as I remember it could have been and should have been more tender. It had a great smoke ring and was juicy. But what it did for me was a great thing. It really got me hooked on this hobby. Soon after my wife and I hit the few comp's in those days, the library for every book you could find. Plus, we hit the most available source at the time, the local Q joints. A few years later and home PC's were getting popular and so were the old BBS's. Got a really old 286 PC and got into the BBS's and started learning.

Maybe someday I'll try that sear method out and see if I life the difference. Don't know, its hard to change things you been doing for this long. Unless you aren't getting the results you want and why you would wait 25 years to change, who knows, go figure.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                    I remember 25+ years give or take a few, when I did my first brisket. Didn't know I was supposed to be afraid.
                    LOL That's the key right there. A lot of the stuff you read tells you that, oh man, brisket is one of the most difficult cuts of meat to smoke blah, blah, blah. Just because it takes longer maybe. If you can hold decent temps in your smoker for an extended period of time, you can smoke a brisket.

Of course there are nuances with trimming, injectiions, marinades, searing, rubs flip/no flip, slicing against the grain, separate the point and make burnt ends and on and on that can make the difference between a good brisket and a great brisket. But for the first time, to heck with all those details. Lots of conflicting info out there. It's all good but it's hard to decide which method to follow. So just pick ONE, (I suggest Cap Dan's ) follow it the first time and experiment from there.

I think that ANYONE who can has learned to maintain decent temp control in their smoker can smoke a good brisket. (It's really easy if you use propane the first time like I did. ) Or if you smoke on a UDS, it's pretty easy too.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Dont fear the brisky indeed...

Some years back, when I first got my smoker the first thing I tried to cook was a brisket...and it sucked bad...but that wasnt the briskets fault... Its because I was a complete and total idiot...No Idea what I was doin...
                      After learnin to control my fire and how to make clean smoke...I tried some "easier" meats...pork butt and chuck roasts are much more forgiving for a rookie but the key is still temp controll...Mastered a few "easy meats" and I was ready for the brisket test...my wife wasnt so sure...But I nailed it...It wasnt hard at all...cooks just like a butt only longer...

Truth is I foul up more often on ribs than anything else... How bout a thread called dont fear the ribs...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Well...I would definetly fear a crappy brisket.....Many ways to check em before you purchase it.....

I do fear the brisket judges sometimes though...

Like everyone has said...Practice,Practice IMO is the key.I have had excellent smoked brisket at 350 degree and 225 degree pit temperature....

Comment

I seared my last one & did not like the taste the BON FIRE like flames gave to the exterior.... The burnt fat thing was evident on the outside. Just a thought.... The one I got in right now is humming @ 225*
                          sigpic

Comment

I love this thread...

I have never had any issues with cooking briskets. I learned a long time ago choosing the meat was a key part of smoking briskets. We are told to cut across the grain. But also when you choose your brisket avoid an arched or severely curved grain. Don't feel shy or unsafe about leaving it in the refrigerator for a few more days to age.

Constant temp is also a key thing.. If it does get a little done, mop it or mist it with Au-Jus once sliced. Heck I inject mine with Au-Jus out of the gate. If you want to take a walk on the wild side... Cold Smoke it for 2 hours with Mesquite then rub it with mustard and your favorite seasonings not forgetting the dark brown sugar, then put it on your hot smoker with hickory or something lighter in flavor then Mesquite.

As stated above don't fear it, embrace it and cook some magic. Worse case scenario... If its toot tuff... Toss it into a Crockpot with garlic, brown sugar, 2 cans of Cherry Dr. Pepper and 2 bottles of Sweet baby rays Original. Let it slow cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. One bite and you will be back to pitmaster status!
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I ain't feared of nothing...except when the engine quit's & ya gotta set up yer best glide path! Oh...& snake's! I'm gonna do me a biggun. Alway's do smaller one's for me & Louie!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X