About to do my first brisket have a couple questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to do my first brisket have a couple questions

Do you mop or spray every hour, i am not wanting to i figure a pork but doesnt need it why would a brisket? do i put the drip pan under right away to catch the juices? and can anyone explain how to remove the fat and make au jus to pour bank on the meat.
    Thanks
    Gary

I think there are some detailed informational threads in the beef forum. I don't mop mine until they have been in the pit for at least 4-5 hrs.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

I have made several without any mop or spritz. Mainly because the word "mop" makes me think of a janitor, and the word "spritz," well that's just a gay word.
      Really though, it's because I've been too lazy. So they got rubbed and smoked. That's it. Wouldn't say the lack of attention made for the world's best brisket. But they've been good. As my kid says, "It'll make a turd."

Tom

Comment

did my first one this summer and followed the brisket tutorial thread on this site it turned out pretty good my second one turned out better and the third one is in the freezer right now but not for long have fun with your first brisket I am sure it will be great if not ?? well you just have to eat your mistakes and move on
        sigpic
        Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
        Great Out doors grill
        Brinkman verticle
        And one great UDS
        Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
          I have made several without any mop or spritz. Mainly because the word "mop" makes me think of a janitor, and the word "spritz," well that's just a gay word.
          Really though, it's because I've been too lazy. So they got rubbed and smoked. That's it. Wouldn't say the lack of attention made for the world's best brisket. But they've been good. As my kid says, "It'll make a turd."
          lol aint that the truth thats why i said spray hahah

Comment

does it hurt it if i freeze it? i really am qued out this week and would like to wait till next week to smoke it but will it freeze well?

Comment

Hey Pande.... Try this link

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6210
              sigpic

Comment

i looked at that tutorial but didnt see the questions i am asking? if i dont cut off the flat will it burn up because its so much skinnier? and if i do cut it off where does it go then? sorry i just want to get it right
                Last edited by Pandemonium; 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM.

Comment

You can put the drip pan in right away w/ some beef broth and onion slices (I also add some Jack Daniels).
                  After a few hours (like Dan said......4-5 hrs), I baste the brisket with the liquid from the drip pan w/ a turkey baster.
                  After the smoke, put the drip pan in the fridge til the fat hardens and spoon off the fat.
                  Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                  http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad
                    If it is still in the cryo vac pack, just leave it in the fridge till next week. A nice fresh packer will improve with some time in the fridge.
                    i read that before, hmm so the expiration date doesnt matter? it wont go bad like other meats?

Comment

If you're not going to use it this week - I'd freeze it.

The freezing and thawing actually has a tenderising effect as well. As the ice crystals formed when you freeze rupture the cells and help tenderise the muscle tissue.

I personally wouldn't keep a cryovacked piece of meat more then 1-2 days over the use by date without freezing.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                        If you're not going to use it this week - I'd freeze it.

The freezing and thawing actually has a tenderising effect as well. As the ice crystals formed when you freeze rupture the cells and help tenderise the muscle tissue.

I personally wouldn't keep a cryovacked piece of meat more then 1-2 days over the use by date without freezing.
                        I do prefer freezing my briskets befor smoking...Does it really help...I dunno

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        I dont mess with brisket from the time it goes on to the time it hits the foil...if youre foiling...and I suggest that you do...
                        Just smoke it and wait out the stall...it will make a turd...it will...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

I have never mopped my briskets. I have also started going hot and fast
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
                            Do you mop or spray every hour, i am not wanting to i figure a pork but doesnt need it why would a brisket?
                            If you are smoking it in a UDS, I wouldn't bother "spraying" it. The drum cooks pretty moist anyway. I think mopping is more applicable to offsets that don't natually have as high a humidity as a drum. You could always mop for flavor if you wanted to but if you don't want to anyway, I wouldn't worry about it.

if i dont cut off the flat will it burn up because its so much skinnier?
                            No, you can smoke the packer whole. If it concerns you, you could put the thicker part over the center of the fire (again assuming your using the UDS) and let the flat sit more towards the edge. But depending on the size of the packer, you may not have much choice. The last one I did would barely fit in the grates in my UDS>

does it hurt it if i freeze it? i really am qued out this week and would like to wait till next week to smoke it but will it freeze well?
                            Freezing it will be fine if you want to wait.

sorry i just want to get it right
                            Relax. I think there are more ways to get it "right" than you think. Start with Dan's tutorial then tweak things the next time around. Control your drum temp, cook to final internal temp and don't get impatient and you'll be fine.

I think you'll find that they are a lot easier to do than you think.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9388

And there are lots of ways to do them and still have them taste great.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

I don't know about UK meats, but here in the U.S. cryo beef is held for weeks without any issues. I personally like to hold my briskets for 3-4 weeks. The ones pictured were packed 28 days before I opened,trimmed and seasoned them.I know people who go 5 weeks with their briskets.

as far as the sell by date, I think certain stores do things different than others. I make sure I have the packing date. It says it right on the case of beef or pork what day it was packed.I also keep all my meats in a separate fridge that is kept around 34-36 degrees.
                              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Working...
                              X