This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing and Smoking Meats for Home Food Preservation

"Curing and Smoking Meats for Home Food Preservation- Literature Review and Critical Preservation Points"

From The National Center for Home Food Preservation
    Guide and Literature Review Series:
    Smoking and Curing

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc..._smoke_fs.html

Hmm this looks like it needs reading... this is once section of it.

OK here's the balance. Wow... lots of info. Have not gone thru it all yet

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc...smoke_toc.html
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

5.2.5. Trichinosis
    Details on trichinosis can be found in a publication by the National Pork Producers Council (Gamble) and on trichinosis statistics in the USA (CDC 1988). Trichinosis is an infestation of trichinae, or Trichinella spiralis or other Trichinella spp. The parasites invade the muscles causing severe pain and edema. It can be avoided by ensuring that cooked pork or certain wild game meat reaches an internal temperature of 150°F or more. Freezing the pork according to the following chart also can kill trichinae:

Table 5.1. Freezing Pork to Kill Trichinae Freezer Temperature Group 1 Days Group 2 Days
    5°F 20 30
    -10°F 10 20
    -20°F 6 12
    Group 1 comprises product in separate pieces not exceeding 6" in thickness or arranged on separate racks with the layers not exceeding 6" in depth. Group 2 comprises product in pieces, layers or within containers the thickness of which exceeds 6" but not 27" (US FDA 1999).

Although the incidence of trichinosis has decreased markedly from 300 to 400 cases annually in the 1940's to less than 90 cases per year in the early 1980's, this disease remains a problem in the United States. According to USDA recommendations, T. spiralis in pork is rendered non-viable if held at 5°F, a temperature achievable in noncommercial freezers, for 20 days. However, meat from wild game, such as polar bear or walrus meat that has been infected with T. spiralis, remains infective even after 24 months of storage at 0°F. The difference in susceptibility may be caused by different strains of T. spiralis found in domestic versus wild animals. Adequate cooking (170°F. internally), well above the thermal death point of the organism (137°F), remains the best safeguard against trichinosis in game meats (CDC 1985).
    That's the one that always worries me. The others can be cooked out in the 140s or otherwise dealt with via curing and careful preparation, but this one....

Since I don't eat walrus, bear or polar bear etc., pork is the source ~ if it weren't for trichinosis, I would have tried making a proscuitto- or iberico-type ham years ago. But since it is customarily eaten without cooking (from what I have seen), and cooking is the only way that I can see to get rid of trichinosis....

Venison and beef, on the other hand, have been very good when using similar methods to make cured meats....
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      "Curing and Smoking Meats for Home Food Preservation- Literature Review and Critical Preservation Points"

From The National Center for Home Food Preservation
      Guide and Literature Review Series:
      Smoking and Curing

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc..._smoke_fs.html

Hmm this looks like it needs reading... this is once section of it.

OK here's the balance. Wow... lots of info. Have not gone thru it all yet

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nc...smoke_toc.html
      That's a lot of info packed in there... got some reading to do...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Rich - here's another source that I've found to be very helpful: the USDA Kitchen Companion:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

Seems to carry a lot of relevance for home cooks, versus the stuff written for restaurants etc. Might be helpful for members...
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          Since I don't eat walrus, bear or polar bear etc., pork is the source ~ if it weren't for trichinosis, I would have tried making a proscuitto- or iberico-type ham years ago. But since it is customarily eaten without cooking (from what I have seen), and cooking is the only way that I can see to get rid of trichinosis....
          Hmm freezing... I believe will kill Trich. Is that in there?

Hmm OK.. according to the CDC it's somewhat effective.

Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat alone does not consistently kill infective worms; homemade jerky and sausage were the cause of many cases of trichinellosis reported to CDC in recent years.

Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5°F (-15°C) to kill any worms.

Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, may not effectively kill all worms because some worm species that infect wild game animals are freeze-resistant.

Clean meat grinders thoroughly after each use.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've heard of the freezing - as you said, somewhat effective ~

What follows is my personal belief, after doing a lot of reading on the subject. Rich, feel free to edit or delete if you choose, but after doing the research I feel comfortable saying it and putting it out there for informational purposes:

Where wild game meats are concerned, I did quite a bit of research, since I hunt every year and have eaten venison all of my life.

Interesting fact is that nearly all cases of trichinosis from wild game were either wild boar, bear, walrus or other carnivore-/omnivore-type animals. Herbivores are simply not going to get it, because they naturally don't eat meat that is infected with it and that is how it is transmitted.

There were a tiny amount (single digits, if I remember correctly) that were associated with deer, but each of those cases (except possibly one) were from meat processors, home processors or other situations where the chance of cross-contamination was very high.

In fact, the chances of getting it from deer were even less than from beef (which was also extremely tiny, and I believe was explained though probable cross-contamination as well).

Bottom line, from my reading: I am totally satisfied that trichinosis is a danger when dealing with meat that comes form carnivores or omnivores - all of the reputable sources agreed on that. Once I learned this, I quit worrying about it in deer or beef, as long as steps are taken to eliminate cross-contamination.

So, if anyone wants to worry about meat-eating deer infecting them with trichinosis, I can't stop you - otherwise, if there is a charcuterie project that you want to try, beef and venison are delicious and quite-safe choices.

But pork remains....

Due to modern raising of animals and meat handling, the chances are also very small even for pork, but no reason to take the chance. Cook your pork (or other high-risk meats), people!
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I have no issue with the above post.

Huey does alot of bear. Perhaps he'll chime in here. And of course the feral hogs...Tex?

Comment

Huey does alot of bear. Perhaps he'll chime in here. And of course the feral hogs...Tex?

Should be a law against eating Bears!!! Bears are people too!!!

Just kidding---I love Bear meat, but never had it smoked.

The only Bear I ever saw with a lot of smoke on it was ME !!!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                  Should be a law against eating Bears!!! Bears are people too!!!

Just kidding---I love Bear meat, but never had it smoked.

The only Bear I ever saw with a lot of smoke on it was ME !!!

Bear
                  That was good.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Hmm freezing... I believe will kill Trich. Is that in there?

Hmm OK.. according to the CDC it's somewhat effective.

Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat alone does not consistently kill infective worms; homemade jerky and sausage were the cause of many cases of trichinellosis reported to CDC in recent years.

Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5°F (-15°C) to kill any worms.

Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, may not effectively kill all worms because some worm species that infect wild game animals are freeze-resistant.

Clean meat grinders thoroughly after each use.

When I take wild pigs I follow the rules above but I never use the pork in smoked sausages only fresh that I know will be grilled to proper temps..

Even though I do not know of anyone in Texas that has had an issue.. I take no chances..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Rich -

Mark and I hashed through some issues where there was some lack of clarity, and working together I think we've come up with some good, solid guidelines here regarding trichinosis safety:

a) Everyone should absolutely do what they are most comfortable doing.

b) Trichinosis is not killed by curing, but by cooking to a safe temperature; in some cases, deep-freezing for a safe length of time will eliminate the threat of trichinosis.

c) Deep freezing is ineffective for wild/game animals (other than pork) that are at risk for trichinosis; deep freezing can be effective for pork (domestic and wild), but there are variables to be aware of, according to the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichin...s/prevent.html

d) Fresh sausage made with ground pork, wild boar or any other trichinosis-potential meat should be cooked to 160 degrees.

e) Whole cuts of pork are "safely-cooked" at 145 degrees, according to the USDA:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...table/CT_Index

f) The curing process effectively puts sausage on the same level as whole cuts where pathogens are concerned (excluding trichinosis, which needs to be cooked or frozen as mentioned above).

g) Cured meats are "safely cooked" at 145 degrees, according to the USDA:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...afety/ct_index

h) Since meat with a potential for trichinosis still needs to be cooked before it is rendered safe to eat, cured sausages should be cooked to a minimum of 145 degrees.

i) A final temperature of 152 degrees is widely accepted by leading charcuterie experts for various reasons, one of those reasons being to ensure that all parts of the meat are at least 145 degrees.

j) All of the above assumes safe food-handling and storage practices.

Look it over and - if it works - we can consider it part of the "sound advice" that S-M can be confident in giving....
                      Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM.
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                      X