Thawing Pork Shoulder Via SV for Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dward51 View Post

I'm sure someone will probably disagree, but that is my take.
    Waving hand... this is me not disagreeing.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

My original question was in the name of food safety and thawing food. It is an area that I am a little uncomfortable with and see a lot of "grey" in a right and wrong world.

I am convinced the way I did it is safe. Would I do it again this way again....maybe.

Ok here is what I did.....and so far so good. Find a couple of year old 10.5 pork shoulder in -20 freexer. Vac packed . Basically a 10 pound block of frozen meat.

Into SV at 100 F for 4-5 or so hours to thaw.

Read time and temp on 10 different sites

De bone and cut up into three different pieces. Still cold to touch internal. Discard stinky bone.

Crank Cummins 1500 SV to 145 . for overnight bath.

Pat dry pieces and sprinkle with a dry rub.

Vac pack into three bags.

Drink some more beer, read some more......

5:00 am out of beer go to bed.

Up at 9 to start smoker......and get my shit together

10 am or so take pieces out of SV, drain and let surface dry.

Onto smoker at 200 degrees, (Lost about 35 degrees during the drying off period.)

Played with my Tappacue data logger and my new mini wsm......

Cleaned up my perfomer for use today.

Installed my new Stok cast iron grate on the performer.

Played with WSM and cranked up to 250 ish

Ran pork shoulder up to 195 ish internal removed and foiled until everything else was done.

Trimmed and returned to heat with some drippings and some sauce for burnt ends.

At those temps and overall time I am sure it turned out safe.
      Last edited by nickelmore; 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
        My original question was in the name of food safety and thawing food. It is an area that I am a little uncomfortable with and see a lot of "grey" in a right and wrong world.

I am convinced the way I did it is safe. Would I do it again this way again....maybe.

Ok here is what I did.....and so far so good. Find a couple of year old 10.5 pork shoulder in -20 freexer. Vac packed . Basically a 10 pound block of frozen meat.

Read time and temp on 10 different sites

De bone and cut up into three different pieces. Still cold to touch internal. Discard stinky bone.

Crank Cummins 1500 SV to 145 . for overnight bath.

Pat dry pieces and sprinkle with a dry rub.

Vac pack into three bags.

Drink some more beer, read some more......

5:00 am out of beer go to bed.

Up at 9 to start smoker......and get my shit together

10 am or so take pieces out of SV, drain and let surface dry.

Onto smoker at 200 degrees, (Lost about 35 degrees during the drying off period.)

Played with my Tappacue data logger and my new mini wsm......

Cleaned up my perfomer for use today.

Installed my new Stok cast iron grate on the performer.

Played with WSM and cranked up to 250 ish

Ran pork shoulder up to 195 ish internal removed and foiled until everything else was done.

Trimmed and returned to heat with some drippings and some sauce for burnt ends.

At those temps and overall time I am sure it turned out safe.

If you aren't sick in the next day or so, I would say any one or all of your steps worked.

How was the overall taste and texture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          Kitchen sink works well too...Draws out the cold and keeps the meat in a pool of cool...
          That's what i use.

defrosts surprisingly fast and never brings the meat temp into the danger zone.

Personally I wouldn't defrost in a sous vide.

No data to go by. just doesn't seem right to me.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Kitchen sink or pan of cold water. Been doing it for years, and I'm still able to type this message...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Kitchen sink or pan of cold water. Been doing it for years, and I'm still able to type this message...
              Me too for smaller size pieces or whole chickens and such. I just feel a little uncomfortable leaving a 10 pound piece in a sink overnight. It would never reach an equalized temp in the fridge, -20 to 40 would take weeks.

Texture was normal, taste normal. The only thing I would do different would be to take it direct from the bath to the smoker instead of letting the surface dry. so it would take on smoke.

Comment

Me too for smaller size pieces or whole chickens and such. I just feel a little uncomfortable leaving a 10 pound piece in a sink overnight. It would never reach an equalized temp in the fridge, -20 to 40 would take weeks.

Texture was normal, taste normal. The only thing I would do different would be to take it direct from the bath to the smoker instead of letting the surface dry. so it would take on smoke.

I thawed a small beef eye roast, still in its cryovac, yesterday in a tub of water, once it was thawed, I stuck it the fridge for an overnight rest. It is now taking a bath in the SV @ 134 with JAB, salt, pepper, butter. It will hit the coals for the sear this afternoon.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well initially I would have been one to disagree and frankly was a bit horrified as I followed this thread early on. But food safety "discussions" have caused quite a few blow-ups here so I just kept quiet.

One thing that this thread had that most others don't is this.

Find a couple of year old 10.5 pork shoulder in -20 freexer. Vac packed . Basically a 10 pound block of frozen meat.

Read time and temp on 10 different sites.

De bone and cut up into three different pieces. Still cold to touch internal.
                  Data. And verifiable facts.

That has more credibiiity than the "I did it and didn't die, therefore it must be safe." declaration.

Although it would have been interesting to know what the actual temp was when you de-boned it. "Cold to the touch" is pretty relative. 50° or even 60° is going to be cold to the touch.
                  CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                  -
                  "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Although it would have been interesting to know what the actual temp was when you de-boned it. "Cold to the touch" is pretty relative. 50° or even 60° is going to be cold to the touch.
                    Yea I should have hit it with the instant read therm.....but I had more on my mind. There is a number of time/temp sites that refer back to the same one and it is metric.....and no I did not measure my pieces in millimeters. ....whistle:

The plus side of this adventure is that I learned a little bit more about food safety, I made room in the freezer, and having three pieces produced a lot of surface area for pork burnt ends.

Comment

Working...
                    X