No announcement yet.

Pulled pork in an electric smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I smoke, I wear boxers. The tighty whities were vetoed by my wife. Here in Vegas in the summer, with the sun shining down at a bazillion degrees boxers are a wonderful thing.

Pants?

Comment

Well, my free sample of rub came in, and I used it mixed with some brown sugar to rub my 8 lb. pork shoulder. It goes in at about midnight tonight! (I'm kind of nervous now...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
        Well, my free sample of rub came in, and I used it mixed with some brown sugar to rub my 8 lb. pork shoulder. It goes in at about midnight tonight! (I'm kind of nervous now...)

You will Rock It!
        sigpic

Comment

Pulled pork in an electric smoker

I have a CS025, very similar. I'd use 3 oz hickory but let the white smoke disapate before you put the butt in. Depending when you want to eat, you can put it in the night before (ie 11:00pm?) and let it cook all night at 225f. In the morning foil it and let if cook to an internal temp of 195'ish. Then take it out , wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler for a few hours. A pork butt in a cookshack is the easiest peice of meat you can do.

Lang 36" Patio
          Cookshack SM025
          JennAire 45,000 btu with cast brass burners
          Maverick ET732
          Maverick ET7
          A Maze N Tube Smoke generator

Comment

Foil? I hadn't heard about this part. When am I supposed to foil it? The meat is at 172 degrees F right now...

Comment

Some people "foil" some don't it's personal preference I've done both and prefer the more bark you get from not foiling. You can foil anytime after 165 deg or so it's basically "steaming" at that point. I'd take it to 200-205 if the bone wiggles freely then I'll foil in a tin pan throw it in the cooler and cover it with towels for a couple of hours. It will still be plenty hot at that point sounds like your well on your way
              Last edited by Doug S.; 09-28-2013, 09:09 AM.
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

One of the things that I like about foiling them is that I get alot more drippins & juices that way. I use these in the PP and save the degreased juices for gravy or au jus with non pulled pork meals. Also, the steaming process seems to speed up the cook and shortens the "stall". I usually foil mine when they stall.
                MES 30"
                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                Weber 22" kettle
                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Big Weber Gasser
                Cracker Smoker
                UDS

Comment

I've found that sometimes different areas of a pork butt cook differently. I had one occasion that part was dry and others was perfect although that was a boneless that I will never buy again. Foiling will prevent drying at the cost of some bark. Make sure you let it rest a and hour or 2 wrapped in foil , towel and in a cooler (FTC). Makes a big difference in preserving meat moisture. You don't want to pull the pork right out of the smoker.

Lang 36" Patio
                  Cookshack SM025
                  JennAire 45,000 btu with cast brass burners
                  Maverick ET732
                  Maverick ET7
                  A Maze N Tube Smoke generator

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
                    Foil? I hadn't heard about this part. When am I supposed to foil it? The meat is at 172 degrees F right now...
                    If yer gonna try foil...do it now. Use DOUBLE HD foil. And be careful..there will be alot of "Liquid Gold" so make sure NO LEAKS!

On edit: Or...just pan and cover it...
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Argh! The meat is at 198 degrees! It's so hard to be patient with 2 degrees to go...

Comment

Hang tight 205 wouldn't hurt 200 will be good but then you have foil and cooler time It will actually go up some more while resting
                        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                        Weber 22.5" WSM
                        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        Pit Barrel Cooker
                        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                        The Vortex

Comment

Well, it's done and it seemed to turn out well! :) My 8 year old son LOVED it, and my 6 year old daughter liked it too! Also, my WIFE liked it, and she has previously told me that she didn't like smoked food

My 5 year old and 14 month old we with Grandma, so we will find out about them later...

Now how do I handle the leftovers?

(I'll post some photos later, but I make no promises about the quality of the photos)

Thank you all so much for your help with my first "smoking" experience!

Comment

Congrats!!!!!

Pulled pork freezes excellent. I vacuum pack mine, butt have also just frozen it in gallon zip lock bags and it was fine. That way (zip lock bags), you can open the bag and break off a chunk if you're craving a PP sammy Freeze when bag is flattened oot.
                            sigpic

Comment

Laz,
                              Below is my Step by Step. It covers everything. Compare your plan to that. You have a pretty good plan.

One thing I would not do is set it on the counter for an hour or 2 before smoking. Take it right from the fridge to the smoker.

Bear

Pulled Pork Step by Step:
                              http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21576

On Edit: OOOOPS, didn't notice you already smoked it.
                              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                              X