Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib Question

Greetings.

I'm smoking ribs for the tailgate for the upcoming victory of the Falcons over the Panthers. One of the people coming has some issues with diabetes and sugar. I do my ribs by the 3-2-1 method from here (thanks, all) with a rub from a local guy and foiled with apple juice.

Does anyone have a rub recipe without any sugar?

What liquid can I use to get the ribs soft, without sugar? Bourbon? Bourbon and water? Beer?

Many thanks in advance,
    Tobias Magan

There are lots of no sugar rubs around that are great with ribs...
    I think the Mad Hunky GP rub is very low in sugar...Probably honey powder but I don't know...

As for liquid...Any liquid will do...Beer, water, whatever...
    All you need is something to create some steam as the ribs cook in the foil...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Here's a no sugar recipe. It makes a lot but you can reduce the measurements to make a smaller batch. (edit) This is a recipe
      that I copied from ChefRob. I just reduced the salt from 1 cup to 3/4.

No Sugar Rub
      3/4c. kosher salt
      1c. granulated onion
      1c. granulated garlic
      1c. chili powder
      1c. paprika
      1/2c. smoked paprika
      1/2c. cumin
      1/2c. coarse black pepper
      1/4c. grnd rosemary
      1/4c. grnd oregano
      1/4c. grnd celery seeds
      1/4c. grnd thyme
      _
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

My rub is low..but not NO sugar. Bourbon WILL add sugar. Perhaps look to fruit..apple, orange etc. for some sweet/juice to foil with. I think fructose is much more friendly to such folk.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Your ribs are gonna Kill 'em anyway! Use your go to recipe. He can cut sugar intake somewhere else I would imagine. Most folks get uncomfortable with a host having to work around their special requirements. Offer an alternative protein after checking with him/her about being able to tolerate limited sugar on the ribs. Don't spoil everybody else's party. Apple juice in the foil shouldn't impart an appreciable amount of sugar anyways.

Comment

I have done ribs with MH GP, dusted with brown sugar and glazed with thinned down Sweet Baby Ray's and a small amount of Cherry Dr. Pepper. Ate my fill and tested my blood sugar an hour afterwards and it was below 140 which is fine. I do not foil them though.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            My rub is low..but not NO sugar. Bourbon WILL add sugar. Perhaps look to fruit..apple, orange etc. for some sweet/juice to foil with. I think fructose is much more friendly to such folk.
            Fructose is just as bad as sucrose and many fruit juices contain added sugar. All "oses" are basically the same including lactose (milk). They all contain carbs which the body will convert to glucose (sugar). Whiskey has zero carbs. Beer can have quite a few depending on the brand. Rich's products are all very blood glucose friendly according to my testing anyway.

If you were to foil in apple juice the amount that is going to adhere to the ribs is pretty minimal in my opinion especially if you foil bone side down. Bourbon would be fine or even Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum which is very low in carbs as well.

I would bet he will have more to worry about from the sides than the ribs. For instance potato salad will really make the blood glucose shoot up.

Kudos to you for helping your friend with this though.
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Think I might have to try bourbon in the foil for one rack.

Comment

Working...
              X