Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post

LOL..

I see we took our meds before bed..LOL..

RUNZA still looks like a Burrito.l
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
      OH MY GOD

had these in omaha............WHAT a treat..........kevin........bbq big red........and i was talkng about these..........werth the 2 hours trip to omaha to get em
      Well Steve, I bet you never thought you'd ever read these words. Looks like you're the only one around here with any sense.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post

Umm, that's actually GERMAN lmao
      Named after the City of hamburg. Anyway while the smoker is down - how about some progress on the massive kettle bbq you were making :-)
      Did I say hamburger? I meant ground beef. There!!! Now it's American.
      Oh, and the kettle grill has taken a back seat to some other projects. I hope to have it finished by Labor Day, but we'll see. Still trying to find another Harley.

Originally posted by wutang View Post
      They look like the real deal. Runza restaurants are definately unique to this area but to be honest when I go there I usually get a cheeseburger
      Shame, shame, shame.
      Their burgers are good though. But really, what's the difference, other than cabbage?

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
      LOL..

I see we took our meds before bed..LOL..

RUNZA still looks like a Burrito.l
      Burrito

Tom

Comment

Shame, shame, shame.
        Their burgers are good though. But really, what's the difference, other than cabbage?
        I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't like them. I do like the Runzas, just not quite as much as most people around here. I have eaten them and will again I am sure but on the average day if I had to choose between a Runza and a burger-I would pick the burger.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
          I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't like them. I do like the Runzas, just not quite as much as most people around here. I have eaten them and will again I am sure but on the average day if I had to choose between a Runza and a burger-I would pick the burger.
          When my little brother goes up there to visit, the first thing he does is hits a Runza restaurant. He plans his trips so that he arrives at dinner time.
          The first place I go to is a little Chinese restaurant in Council Bluffs. In fact, since I started making them, I have gone to the restaurant once. I would rather have a greasy Wendy's triple.

Tom

Comment

Runzas are great. All of our friends who have left Nebraska have to eat there a few times while back for visits. They are well worth the trip. If you out of staters come through and sweet talk em, they will sell you some pre-baked and frozen ones to take home. I like to make them and dip them in gravy...mmmm nice job gunslinger!

Comment

Oh yeah and the fries. This is from Hubert Keller and it's all about the method here. I'm sure you will think I'm full of it, but try it once and see if you don't agree. It's something about soaking. I don't know if a lot of the starch is leached out or what's going on, but they really are the "Perfect French Fry."

4 large (about 2 pounds) potatoes, preferably russets, peeled.
              6 to 8 cups vegetable or sunflower oil for deep frying
              Coarse sea salt

Method
              1. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water to cover, then let them soak overnight, refrigerated. The next day, drain and cut them. For skinny fries, cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut these lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips. For fat fries, simply increase the width of your slices. For wedges, cut the potatoes lengthwise in half, then cut the halves into wedges. To make evenly sized wedges, if the potatoes are very fat, you may need to cut a lengthwise slice out of the middle of the potato and either discard it or cut it into fat fries. For shoestrings, use the julienne blade of a mandolin and cut the potatoes into very fine strips. However they are cut, place the potatoes in a bowl, cover with cold water, and again let them soak overnight, refrigerated.

2. When ready to fry, drain the potatoes well and pat dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel. Cover a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels. Put 2 cups of oil per potato in a deep, heavy pot or deep fryer. The oil should fill the pot at least one-third full. Heat it to 250°F. Working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are cooked through but remain almost white, about 5 minutes. Drain on the prepared baking sheet. The fries may be prepared up to this point several hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

3. Just before serving, heat the oil to 360°F. Again working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are golden and crisp. The timing will depend on the size you have cut your potatoes, but allow about 3 minutes for skinny fries. When done, drain them briefly on paper towels and sprinkle liberally with salt. Scoop them into a bowl and serve immediately.

these instructions are also str8 outta A.B. (alton brown)

instead of soaking the entire potatoe, we slice em, then soak em.........other than that, the instructions ROCK.........it IS a perfect french fry.............

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                these instructions are also str8 outta A.B. (alton brown)

instead of soaking the entire potatoe, we slice em, then soak em.........other than that, the instructions ROCK.........it IS a perfect french fry.............
                If that's right, A.B. stole it from Hubert Keller. Not that I'm accusing A.B. of stealing. Oh wait, yes I am. He couldn't have an original thought if one bit him on his__________________(fill in the blank).

BTW Dude, they do get sliced and soaked. Apparently the two methods are different, and you didn't read the entire post.

Tom

Comment

lmao - the method has been used in english fish and chip shops for a very long time, where do you think these guys of yours got it ?
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    lmao - the method has been used in english fish and chip shops for a very long time, where do you think these guys of yours got it ?
                    The English stole it from the French. Hubert Keller is a Frenchie.

Tom

Comment

Gunner: That's freeking awesome, can you put rice in them as well?... I'm a big cabbage roll guy... That is like a cabbage roll panzorotti from hell... but with a lot more flavor (US spelling)...
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                      KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                        Gunner: That's freeking awesome, can you put rice in them as well?... I'm a big cabbage roll guy... That is like a cabbage roll panzorotti from hell... but with a lot more flavor (US spelling)...
                        I would think you could put rice in them as well. But they bake fast so I'd use cooked rice, or maybe instant would work.
                        I use rice in my cabbage rolls too, but they take 45 minutes to cook, so adding it raw is no big deal.

Tom

Comment

Don't know how I missed this other than the fact I've been busy and not around as much as I'd like.

In any event, these look awesome

I'll certainly give these a try , thanks!

P.S. tried giving points but got locked out, I owe you
                          Last edited by Abelman; 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM.
                          Pete
                          Large BGE
                          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Yeah, they look awesome. A friend of mine got me hooked on something similar. He makes the same concoction and then puts it in an egg roll wrapper and deep fries them. He doesn't roll them, but makes them into a square. Then you can flip them to brown both sides. He likes cheddar and I prefer mozzarella.

May have to give this a shot when I don't feel like dragging out the fryer.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks sane people. This really is one of our favorites. The breakfast one I mentioned in my second post is killer.

Tom

Comment

Thanks sane people. This really is one of our favorites. The breakfast one I mentioned in my second post is killer.

your welcome....Now was the second post a breakfast burrito? they normally are killers with all the hot peppers on board. kinda makes ya want ice cream are something real cool in the morning.
                                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                                X