Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soooooooooooo. I made a couple attempts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soooooooooooo. I made a couple attempts.

Just got a smoker a few weeks ago. So far I've smoked 2 boneless pork loins:
    The first one.

Before:
    5.5lb boneless pork loin:

Rubbed and after night in fridge (white sugar, salt, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon, paprika, olive oil) has been applied:

After 5 hours smoked at 225-240 over applewood and a water/white vinegar mixture to an internal temp of 160:

Wrapped for an hour and rested in foil in a cold oven for an hour:

Sliced and ready for my mouf!

thoughts?
    Last edited by slowhat; 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM.

any leftovers? 'cause i will take a sammie made of that
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

And here's the second attempt from yesterday:

4.5lb pork loin:

ay, there's the rub. white sugar, garlic powder, cardomom, paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, olive oil:

Rub applied and ready for fridge:

After smoking over 50/50 mixture of hickory/applewood, and water vinegar, at 225-235 to an IT of 165, and then wrapped in foil and rested for an hour.

Comment

Nice looking pork loins, your doing good!

Maybe consider locating your smoker temp probe at the the same grate level as the loin, this will also get it away from the fresh air that may be effecting its accuracy.

Also try pull the next loin at 145ºish and instead of a cool oven double wrap it in foil, wrap in towels for insulation and let it rest in a sealed beer/camping cooler. Your internal meat temp will still rise a few degree's and this process can safely rest in the cooler an hour to 3 hours and it will still be steaming hot when your ready. If in doubt you can pack it in the cooler with a cable meat probe to monitor its temperature. This resting process will give you an even moister product.

All in all, nice work and beautiful pork loins you smoked yourself!
        Last edited by MossyMO; 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM.
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
          any leftovers? 'cause i will take a sammie made of that
          ha! sorry bud. I was eating that thing in sandwiches for lunch, sliced for dinner and for breakfast with a couple eggs. I was proud for my first outing...not letting an oz. go to waste.

Also...you're from P-town? I used to live in Norfolk, Ghent area. Now in Richmond. Hell we coulda met in williamsburg for a bbq swap.

Comment

It all looks good I like to take my loins to IT of 145 but yours look great.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              It all looks good I like to take my loins to IT of 145 but yours look great.
              145, eh? what's the advantage? What conditions do you let them rest afterwards?

*edit, I read MossyMO's reply after yours. I'm assuming you'd be suggesting a similar method?

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                Nice looking pork loins, your doing good!

Maybe consider locating your smoker temp probe at the the same grate level as the loin, this will also get it away from the fresh air that may be effecting its accuracy.

Also try pull the next loin at 145ºish and instead of a cool oven double wrap it in foil, wrap in towels for insulation and let it rest in a sealed beer/camping cooler. Your internal meat temp will still rise a few degree's and this process can safely rest in the cooler an hour to 3 hours and it will still be steaming hot when your ready. If in doubt you can pack it in the cooler with a cable meat prob to monitor its temperature.

All in all, nice work and beautiful pork loins you smoked yourself!
                Thanks!!

great tips. I will certainly take them into consideration next time.

side note:
                it's amazing to post in a forum of any sort where you don't get flamed for doing it "wrong" very different than auto forums i'm used to.

Comment

Originally posted by slowhat View Post
                  Thanks!!

side note:
                  it's amazing to post in a forum of any sort where you don't get flamed for doing it "wrong" very different than auto forums i'm used to.
                  This group don't tend to roll that way, the members are really here because of their love for outdoor cooking and want to help anyone interested in learning from their experiences. Not meaning to sound like I'm speaking for everyone, it is just what I have noticed about this great group of members since I have been here. Hang around with us, your gonna love it here!
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

145, eh? what's the advantage? What conditions do you let them rest afterwards?
                    Pork loin is not very fatty so by taking off at 145 there's no chance of it being dry. Yours do look moist yet so that's good! When I fist started I tried a loin and the wife made me go to church(Xmas eve) got home and IT was 190 most inedible piece of meat cause it was so dry. 160 used to be the minimum on pork up until about 2 years ago when they lowered that to 140. So I like to take to 145 wrap in foil for half hour. Like mossy said if you foil and put in cooler with towels they will stay warm for a long time.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                      This group don't tend to roll that way, the members are really here because of their love for outdoor cooking and want to help anyone interested in learning from their experiences. Not meaning to sound like I'm speaking for everyone, it is just what I have noticed about this great group of members since I have been here. Hang around with us, your gonna love it here!
                      X2 well said Marty!

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong. The meat looks good! My opinion loin cooked right to 160 will still be moist and good.

P.S. you see Mossy's Sig pic for tatonka dust, check his site out. That stuff is amazing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Great job on your first loins! I also take mine off when IT reaches 145 or 150.
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                          Great job on your first loins! I also take mine off when IT reaches 145 or 150.
                          X2! I like the 145-150 range for pulling as well... rest 30 minutes and serve!!
                          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                          Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber Performer
                          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Thanks!!

side note:
                            The people here are great. No flaming, just friendly advice and camaraderie.
                            I take pork loins to around 150, then wrap in foil and rest. Makes them real juicy.
                            Good One Heritage Oven
                            Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

looks good to me - and you started on just about the hardest cut of pork to cook well
                              have some :-)

and yep I'd go for 150 as well - the temps going to rise a little during the rest anyway.

But far as I can see you're well along the right track

One tip for cooking lean meats - wrap in bacon :-)
                              That way you've got bacon to eat (always good) and the fat from the bacon renders out and helps seal in the moisture in the meat.

Works great for pheasant, venison, loin etc.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X