Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQWIB Balls

SQWIB Balls intro

SQWIB Balls, Did he say SQWIB Balls? What the hell are SQWIB Balls? It doesn't sound very appetizing does it?

This is just another one of those I'm bored out of my mind and have all these leftovers, what the hell am I going to do with them.

This is something I like to play around with a bit.

This all started many years ago when my nephew wouldn't eat anything at thanksgiving.
    I would make these Ghoulash balls and deep fry them, he loved them.

Since my name SQWIB originated from my nephew when he was about five, I figured on naming them SQWIB Balls, I wont go into specifically how the name came about, but I have been using it since I first signed onto AOL in 1995.

Well it's time to play around a bit, I am working on a few different SQWIB Balls that I will be adding to the site.

I will be doing a bunch of these with chicken, goulash (turkey and stuffing) and some Philly chesesteak, and experiment with textures, check back soon.

SQWIB Balls with Rib meat

So I start pulling stuff from the fridge and the wife unit looks at me like I'm nuts, she can only imagine what the hell I'm making now. You think I would be out cutting the lawn or cleaning up, no not me, I decide to make even more of a mess. She was happy to see me put my dehydrator away and figured the storm had passed, boy was she wrong.
    I bring up the deep fryer from the supply room and she looks at me and says, "can you please do that outside" (in that naggy wife voice), I pout and say, "whatever" in a childlike manner. But it's OK for her to deep fry 5 pounds of breaded chicken in the kitchen, why am I banished outside?
    I grab my camera and she realizes it's time to vacate the kitchen, a new creation is about to be born. No recipe, no notes, I'm just pulling stuff from my head... oh boy!

OK, I know this sounds odd, but I had a lot of leftover ribs from this weekend, so I decide to try something different, lets begin.

Rib meat is removed from the bones and chopped

Rib meat, pineapples and some crushed red pepper are processed.

Brown sugar and barbecue sauce are added.

Saltine crackers are added as a binder.

Everything is mixed then I coat the balls, mix the batter and warm up the deep fryer.

Some of the Zatarain's is laid out on a plate, the meat is formed into meatballs and rolled onto the batter mix.

Every time I look at this picture it reminds me of the Beryllium Sphere in Galaxy Quest.

For the beer batter I like to use a stale flat beer, but I just poured a draft and stirred it up a bit, results would probably be better with a Pilsner as opposed to a Lager, dare I say it, yes I will, Coors light works great.

Batter is mixed.

Deep fryer is hot

Balls are slowly placed into the deep fryer with tongs.

I tried using the basket but they were sticking, so I started dropping them in slowly with tongs, plus I think the batter was a bit too thick.

OK time to make a glaze
    Cherries and Pineapples are added to the processor, I originally wanted to use peach, but I had none. I will use peach when I do my SQWIB Balls with chicken.

Pure' is placed on the heat

Coconut Rum is added

Brown Sugar is added

That is cooked down then some more brown sugar is added.

Once the sauce is thickened, it is served as a dip or on top, if these will be eaten right away, you can glaze the top, if they will sit a bit, I would serve as a dip.

How were they? Well I just had a few in the middle of writing this article and I would say they were, "just OK".
    The glaze was awesome with the batter but the rib meat was lacking a bit, I am not sure if it was a flavor thing or a texture thing. Maybe if the meat was chopped more it would have fared much better? who knows. Also the batter should have been slightly thinner,
    I will try these again but using a pulled pork instead of rib meat.

Well those look doable for sure!! Well done!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Wow Squib those look awesome. I'll definitely have to add those to my to do list! Thanks for sharing!
      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
      Frogmats
      Maverick ET 732
      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Look great from here... Bet they would be good on a Sunday watching Football....
        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
        Weber Performer Gold
        Masterbuilt 26" twins
        Big Chief Electric smoker
        Brinkmann barrel smoker
        LEM sausage stuffer
        Cabela's pro HD grinder
        Maverick ET-732
        ThermoWorks Thermapen
        GrillGrates

Comment

They were OK at best. I think the Pulled Pork would be much better, the texture kept throwing me off.
          Anyhow I cant wait to do the thanksgiving ones

Comment

Wow! I so love this! Awesome imagination for sure Squib! Looking forward to trying Squib balls.

Comment

Pilsner as opposed to a Lager
              Pilsner is a lager, just a very pale light one.

Looks interesting, but a bit on the sweet side for me.
              A few of my favorite things:
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Yes. I should have been clearer . Pale lagers work better for batter. IMHO anyway.

Comment

Sounds good and looks awesome!

Happy early birthday
                  sigpic

Comment

Very, very nice! Can you figure out a way to add cheese, and a savory dip and post that recipe ?

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                      Very, very nice! Can you figure out a way to add cheese, and a savory dip and post that recipe ?

No problem.

Comment

Thanks guys, if anyone does make these try pulled pork, I believe it would be much better than the rib meat, or process the rib meat finer.

Comment

Working...
                        X