1st Shoulder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Shoulder

So I am a long time eater of good bbq, but just now getting into doing it myself. Purchased a smoker and did my first shoulder this weekend, previously only did ribs. The shoulder turned out AMAZING. My biggest problem was that my temperature in the smoker spiked at one point to 350. no idea how long it was there, but backed it back down. 2nd was that the shoulder started falling apart when i wen to pull it.

It was a 5.5 bone in pork shoulder. Went on around 7:45 AM and was done around 5:30 PM. It went a little faster than I anticipated. Just meant i had to get the sides ready earlier

Here are the pics from the day :)
    Attached Files

Looks like a nice 1st shoulder. As a suggestion, purchase a electronic thermometer like a Maverick ET-732 which you can not only monitor the internal temp of the meat, but the smoker temp and set alarms to aid in smoking. I set both the low temp and high temp threshold so that if it is too low due to the fire going out or too high due to a flare up that I get warned as quickly as possible. Remember to cook to temp not to time.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

from Kentucky! Great job on your first shoulder!
      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
      Pink Thermapen
      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Welcome to Smoked-Meat. And as far as it falling apart..I don't see that as a problem in pulled pork :{)
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I second the thermometer thing. The one you have showing, they are notorious for being....wrong! Very wrong.
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Welcome from Kansas! That's a great looking shoulder. If your pulled pork finishes early, you can wrap it in foil, then wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler. It will come out hot even after several hours.
            Good One Heritage Oven
            Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice and welcomes I do have a "weekend warrior" thermometer to check internals. Going to try a brisket next weekend I think.

I pulled the shoulder when the internal was around 201

Comment

That looks like it will eat just fine. Good job first or tenth in my opinion. Glad you figured out to turn the phone sideways when taking pics
                Weber Smoky Joe
                18" Weber Silver
                22.5" Weber Gold
                22.5" Weber Silver
                UDS X 2
                Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                Blackstone three burner flat top
                5" AMZNPS
                Vortex x 2
                Maverick ET 73
                Maverick ET 732
                Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                Pitmaster iQue 110
                sigpic

Comment

Excellent job. Falling apart is a good thing. Lol.

The weekend warrior will work for internal temps. Might want to test it in boiling water and make sure it's accurate. Buy another warrior and place it inside of the chamber, it will give you more accurate chamber temps. But get rid of that other thing hanging in your smoker. Those are often way off. Temp spikes on a butt aren't usually the end of the world, as long as it isn't too long, but it could be for other meats. Best to monitor it accurately.

If you can afford to pickup a Maverick ET-732 it has both a chamber and meat probe. And remote. Your warrior will still work for a second hunk of meat.

Start earlier and take the roast out between 195 and 200, wrap in foil, place in a cooler and cover with towels. (the temp will climb a bit) It can rest for 4 or 5 hours and still be too hot to shred by hand. This gives you plenty of time to make sides, or even transport.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Looks good from here!
                    Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you only have today!

Comment

Nice job there! Get yourself a Maverick 732 and you won't be sorry you did.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Looks nice!

Welcome from Washington
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X