Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shit 'bout to get real in Squirrelville!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YEah Tz’s been on the brew wagon years... done some neat stuff. I kinda miss it... I had a bad run..like 3 batches in a row went south..it happens..and I sold everything. Ugh.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by scotth View Post
      Here's an option or two for one gallon IPAs. You'll need a big pot and bottles/caps in addition to the kit. If you want to cap beer bottles, you need new caps and a capper.

I've never used these kits. Here's a link to expanded kit instructions, although it's on another site, it's from a smoked-meat member. And it's a really informative post on using the kits.
      Woohoo! Thanks Scott! I just ordered everything I need to get me started. I know you guys probably would make everything instead of buying it, but my goal at this point is to see if it gets the gurl parts tingling and if so I will invest in a micro brewery. I can't wait to get started!!!

Comment

Yeah, been brewing for a long time here too. You won't find better beer. Me last batch was a Kollsch. Really good.
        A few of my favorite things:
        Good Whiskey
        Good Food
        Bad Girls
        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Enjoy your time off!!! Can't wait to see your projects..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mustang electric smoker
          King Kooker vertical gasser
          Charbroil silver smoker
          Earnhardt Jr smoker
          Brinkman smoke n' grill
          a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

So I have a couple of projects in the works. I have the jalapeno bacon in the brine. I got my new MES put together just need to do the initial burn. I have started getting stuff together for the squirrel version of Cajun boudin. Picked up some trotters, pig tails and neckbones today. Got the first two soaking in salt water over night. Goal is to remove blood and other impurities so I get a nice pork stock. I will blanche everything as well. I want a really nice stock to cook the boudin rice in, but I also have plans for a ramen from scratch. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my eggrolls done. I have two beer kits on the way. Been waiting a long time to do some fun stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
              So I have a couple of projects in the works. I have the jalapeno bacon in the brine. I got my new MES put together just need to do the initial burn. I have started getting stuff together for the squirrel version of Cajun boudin. Picked up some trotters, pig tails and neckbones today. Got the first two soaking in salt water over night. Goal is to remove blood and other impurities so I get a nice pork stock. I will blanche everything as well. I want a really nice stock to cook the boudin rice in, but I also have plans for a ramen from scratch. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my eggrolls done. I have two beer kits on the way. Been waiting a long time to do some fun stuff!

Just curious on how you will do your version of boudin. Saw a new twist on boudin at a local store who have placed 1st and 2nd in peoples choice for traditional boudin voted locally. They now have boudin with cabbage the meat market guy said its really good stuff didn't have single links at lunch counter just 5lb packs in meat display so didn't get to sample it. Will pass later this week and get me a taste of it would like to try it in my next batch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
                Just curious on how you will do your version of boudin. Saw a new twist on boudin at a local store who have placed 1st and 2nd in peoples choice for traditional boudin voted locally. They now have boudin with cabbage the meat market guy said its really good stuff didn't have single links at lunch counter just 5lb packs in meat display so didn't get to sample it. Will pass later this week and get me a taste of it would like to try it in my next batch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                I am going to use baby bokchoy. I read about cabbage and that sounds good. Most recipes call for simmering the pork, but I am using smoked. I bought a rice called popcorn rice and it came from Louisiana. Definitely not traditional, but hopefully it will be tasty.

Comment

Sounds like good fun and good eating and drinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am going to use baby bokchoy. I read about cabbage and that sounds good. Most recipes call for simmering the pork, but I am using smoked. I bought a rice called popcorn rice and it came from Louisiana. Definitely not traditional, but hopefully it will be tasty.
                    The popcorn rice is good, grown locally not far from the house.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

So is popcorn rice the same as Basmati? I have been using that for a long time, and when you cook it it smells like popcorn. Just wondering.
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        So is popcorn rice the same as Basmati? I have been using that for a long time, and when you cook it it smells like popcorn. Just wondering.
                        It's a hybrid of basmati but the grains are not as slender as basmati. Jasmine has the same aroma and taste of popcorn rice but the jasmine grains are softer and clingier in texture. I think the popcorn rice has a little more pronounced aroma compared to the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
                          It's a hybrid of basmati but the grains are not as slender as basmati. Jasmine has the same aroma and taste of popcorn rice but the jasmine grains are softer and clingier in texture. I think the popcorn rice has a little more pronounced aroma compared to the other two.

I can't wait to try the popcorn rice. I use Jasmine all the time, but I think it has a floral fragrance. I usually get it at the Asian store though and I love making fried rice with it. I bought some from the same place as the popcorn from LA. so interested in seeing if there's a difference. I am waiting on my casings to make the boudin. Some recipes call for parsley is that something you use?

Comment

I can't wait to try the popcorn rice. I use Jasmine all the time, but I think it has a floral fragrance. I usually get it at the Asian store though and I love making fried rice with it. I bought some from the same place as the popcorn from LA. so interested in seeing if there's a difference. I am waiting on my casings to make the boudin. Some recipes call for parsley is that something you use?
                            Ran across this vid the other day good insight on different takes on boudin. And yes some include parsley. https://youtu.be/acy22OziLCI

Comment

isn't it nice to have some "me" time.............
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                                isn't it nice to have some "me" time.............
                                It certainly is! I'm guessing you know the feeling as well. While I am waiting on my casings for the boudin, I thought I would go ahead and get started on the meat portion. I'm going to use half smoked and half not smoked. The smoked is butts and the not smoked is neck bone meat. I've got that rolling along, doing it same as I would a stock. Still got some skimming to do and my house is smelling a wee bit funky. I'm going to use liver, even though I don't like it. It wouldn't be a Cajun boudin if I din't. I'll throw that in the sous vide as to not taint my other meat. I plan on doing the rice like a risotto, using the popcorn rice and the pork stock from the neck bones I'm cooking today, and some white wine. In the meantime, I need to pull out the grinder and stuffer and get it all washed up and ready to go! I also got the pepper jam made today for the egg rolls. I'll post recipe if anyone is interested.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X