Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other BIG NO NO is storing,,, DO NOT STORE with a "brine solution" if this brine solution is made with any type of curing salts!!! if this is done those casings can only be used to stuff meats that have been cured and are going to be cooked/smoked, if you are making fresh sausage and have left over casing, just "pat dry" and put in a zip lock / plastic container and salt with a kosher / coars salt, if all you have is Table salt that is fine also. You can't put too much salt.
    www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I will stick with using a bit of vinegar in the soaking water. It seems to help the casings slide better. Not sure about Pineapple juice????
      that is agreed Fishawn, I was putting that post up for Ritchie that did not notice the Pineapple juice thing... I don not recomend it at all.... just shake off the salt, and luke warm water,,, and if let them soak for 10 min + in the warm water run the water in side the casing it will go on just fine :)

sigpic

Comment

sorry,,, i meant richtee.... :)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by butcher View Post
          Ritchie
          Originally posted by butcher View Post
          sorry,,, i meant richtee.... :)

Ritchie.. I kinda like it..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
            Ritchie.. I kinda like it..
            Me too, like a little Hunky cartoon character......

I can see it now..... "Gee Mr. Wilson, where's all your Prague powder & all that other shit you put in sausage" ?...... "You ever make your own Black Gunpowder Cannons Mr. Wilson"?
            Last edited by Fishawn; 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

OK, now y'all are gonna hurt my "feeling", gota becareful, its the last one I've got left LOL

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Me too, like a little Hunky cartoon character......

I can see it now..... "Gee Mr. Wilson, where's all your Prague powder & all that other shit you put in sausage" ?...... "You ever make your own Black Gunpowder Cannons Mr. Wilson"?
                Some things I will never live down I see.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Some things I will never live down I see.
                  What do ya mean

sigpic

Comment

I have always just rinsed the casings very well with water, let soak awhile and then slide on the stuffing tube with a bit of meat protruding from the stuffer....I also prefer the tubed casings for a time saver. And agreed with the storage in salt.

Comment

Any tips to keeping the collagen caseings tight after smoking....they look nice after they get stuffed, but after they come out of the smoker they will loosen up. Am I getting bad caseings or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan77 View Post
                        Any tips to keeping the collagen caseings tight after smoking....they look nice after they get stuffed, but after they come out of the smoker they will loosen up. Am I getting bad caseings or am I missing something?

That's the way they are Ryan... I used them once and tossed the rest of the casing out after the first smoke..

I did not like the way they looked or the texture when eating the links..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

you may not be stuffing them tight enough, and/or the grind of the meat is too coarse...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan77 View Post
                              Any tips to keeping the collagen casings tight after smoking....they look nice after they get stuffed, but after they come out of the smoker they will loosen up. Am I getting bad casings or am I missing something?
                              Ryan77 - what temp are you smoking these at?

We used these the first couple of years that we started processing our own meat and I will tell you where we failed. First we were thinking that you always needed to smoke with a water pan - we were wrong. You want the casing to dry to take smoke. Second we were smoking them too hot and trying to add smoke right away. We were having the same problem that you were having.

This is how we do it now and have had very good results. First we buy these casing for our sticks - http://www.sausagemaker.com/27807bro...ngs7821mm.aspx they are a little bit higher in price than others, but we really like the quality of these. Second we adjusted how we smoke them... We have had excellent results!
                              • Preheat smoker to 130 and add meat - with no smoke we leave them in there an hr.
                              • Turn smoker to 150 for 2-3 hrs with smoke
                              • Turn heat up to 170-180 and finish cooking until meat is at 155.
                              Where to Shop -
                              www.OwensBBQ.com

Follow Tatonka Dust on Facebook -
                              https://www.facebook.com/TatonkaDust

Comment

Working...
                              X