No announcement yet.

To finish sticks in water bath or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To finish sticks in water bath or not?

I have 10lbs of snack sticks in the MES 40 presently. Contemplating finishing in the water bath.
    At what temp do you water bath and for how long?
    Do you vacuum pack and then remove from the vac bag after water bathing, then revac?

thanks z
    Last edited by zombini; 01-10-2018, 07:36 AM.
    sigpic
    GMG Daniel Boone
    UDS
    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
    Vision Kamado grill
    Weber Genesis Silver
    Smokin Tex
    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
    Maverick ET 732
    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
    2 orange ThermoPops
    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
    Vortex

If you can vac bag them in a single layer, 150 for 3ish hours. No reason the rebag.

on edit; make sure they are fully dried in the smoker.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks Mark...i just finished them in the smoker to 154... they seem a little dry.... good reason to finish in the bath i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      GMG Daniel Boone
      UDS
      Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
      Vision Kamado grill
      Weber Genesis Silver
      Smokin Tex
      MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
      Maverick ET 732
      2 orange ThermoPops
      A-Maze-N Tube 18"
      A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
      Vortex

Comment

Look Good from here!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks good to me,,, what is your recipe,,, Did you use NFDM or anything like that to retain moisture?? what was your fat ratio??

Never have done water bath may have to try some day.
          Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
          1930 Fridge Build
          MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
          Therma Pen
          Maverick 732
          Mini Therma Pen
          Frog Mats
          Weber Junior
          AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Originally posted by driedstick View Post
            Looks good to me,,, what is your recipe,,, Did you use NFDM or anything like that to retain moisture?? what was your fat ratio??

Never have done water bath may have to try some day.
            After chilling and nibbling on all afternoon they are growing on me. They are not dry, just have some integrity to them. I cheated and used 80/20 burger on sale at the local grocery and seasoned with Dobesh smoked sausage seasoning from Allied Kenco. When I deer hunted we used it to make summer sausage, fresh links and smoked sausage. This is the first time I used it for sticks. I added a little binder I had on hand from butcher packer and 1/2 can of beer which was not enough. I thought I was going to strip the gears on the 5lb Lem stuffer.
            z
            sigpic
            GMG Daniel Boone
            UDS
            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
            Vision Kamado grill
            Weber Genesis Silver
            Smokin Tex
            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
            Maverick ET 732
            2 orange ThermoPops
            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
            Vortex

Comment

Ain't nothing wrong with those sticks at all. Fine looking product!!!!!

If you used the B&P #414 binder, did you let it sit in the fridge overnight? That stuff does get real stiff. I like it though and generally use it all the time. I've found that I use some beer or other liquid to mix the seasoning (with the #414 phosphate binder) and then let it sit overnight in the fridge like normal. Then I add another bit of beer/liquid just before stuffing to help loosen the mix back up as it is pretty stiff after sitting. The 414 will still have enough action to firm it back up and retain moisture as it finishes. Makes a great texture stick.

I usually finish mine in the smoker. If you are going to vacuum pack most of the sticks, there is no reason not to pull them at 140* as the meat should be mostly set for shape at that point and then bag and straight into the sous vide or Nesco roaster bath to finish at 152 to 154*. They are then already bagged for refrigeration or freezing as well. I do this with summer sausage all the time and it should work just fine for sticks.
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                Ain't nothing wrong with those sticks at all. Fine looking product!!!!!

If you used the B&P #414 binder, did you let it sit in the fridge overnight? That stuff does get real stiff. I like it though and generally use it all the time. I've found that I use some beer or other liquid to mix the seasoning (with the #414 phosphate binder) and then let it sit overnight in the fridge like normal. Then I add another bit of beer/liquid just before stuffing to help loosen the mix back up as it is pretty stiff after sitting. The 414 will still have enough action to firm it back up and retain moisture as it finishes. Makes a great texture stick.

I usually finish mine in the smoker. If you are going to vacuum pack most of the sticks, there is no reason not to pull them at 140* as the meat should be mostly set for shape at that point and then bag and straight into the sous vide or Nesco roaster bath to finish at 152 to 154*. They are then already bagged for refrigeration or freezing as well. I do this with summer sausage all the time and it should work just fine for sticks.
                Thanks Dave for the good information........I did use that binder and let meat set in fridge for a while. I usually stuff immediately.
                sigpic
                GMG Daniel Boone
                UDS
                Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                Vision Kamado grill
                Weber Genesis Silver
                Smokin Tex
                MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                Maverick ET 732
                2 orange ThermoPops
                A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                Vortex

Comment

Great looking sticks!
                  sigpic

Comment

Grate looking stix z... I'd say ya' done gooood!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by zombini View Post
                      Thanks Dave for the good information........I did use that binder and let meat set in fridge for a while. I usually stuff immediately.
                      Yeah..some of that stuff sets up like concrete. I try to avoid using them if I can.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Another thing I have noticed is since I started using the B&P 414 binder, I have seen zero casing separation of the collagen casings after the sticks dried a little more. The meat seems to shrink less (well duh, less moisture and fat loss is what the binder is supposed to do) and the meat sticks to the casings better. To my eye, the phosphate binder makes for a better finished product (with excellent mouth feel texture as well).

For those who have not tried phosphates in their sausage making, you should give it a try. It's not expensive and you only use a very small amount (a little goes a long way). Butcher & Packer #414 is what I'm using now, but I have also used AmesPhos. Works great in sticks, summer sausage, and I'm thinking about using it in pretty much everything. I've even seen a discussion in another forum about using it in ground beef for premium burgers (but have not tried this yet).
                        Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Hey Z,
                          I can't help you with any technical stuff on Sticks, other than to say-----

Your Sticks Look GREAT !!!! ---

Nice Job!

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Tasty looking sticks.

Comment

Working...
                            X