What beef cut for sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What beef cut for sausage?

Trying to get an idea of what cut is best suited for general sausage making.
    Pork seems pretty simple, butt or shoulder.
    With beef there are more choices so I’m trying to narrow it down. My initial thought would be one of the various types of chuck roast, decent fat content and not too terribly expensive.

Also when mixing beef and pork, what are yalls preferred ratio of beef to pork and what type of sausage.

I realize sausage making has its origin in using the scraps so the fat content, meat type and ratios would vary but I figure this would give me some ideas and help me plan what type to make next.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like beef fat in my sausage so any cheap cut of beef works for me. I add back fat from a pig or just pork fat trimmings I have saved to add to the ground beef. This is for larger sausage and not beef sticks.

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Chuckies/briskies. Whole chuck clod roast would be about 20 or so lbs perfect as is. No one buys brisket for snags any more.. not at those prices.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I am not sure if this a secret of mine but just about ALL my sausages I make are a 60/40 mix in meats.. I feel they have all come out great and never dry.. For me it is a good fatty chuck roast, I want a solid 70/30 if I can find them.. Then I could add a bit of pork fat or bacon to bump that fat content up..

I have not made nor found a 100% beef sausage I have liked.. Just too dense and or dry.. Pork Rules!!!
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Chuckies/briskies. Whole chuck clod roast would be about 20 or so lbs perfect as is. No one buys brisket for snags any more.. not at those prices.
          Critterhunter buys those big CnC roasts, I think they are whole chuck clod's like you mentioned. He says buy the biggest one(s) you can find. CnC scales only go up to something like 28 pounds, and anything over that is "free"
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. Seems like I’m on the right track. Fresh out of high school, I worked at a grocery store in the meat dept. as counter help and clean up. Got to watch and help the meat cutters occasionally, who woulda thunk that experience would be beneficial years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They say if you get the meat cut from a Bull, it's all ready stuffed & ready for smoking.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

When I make summer sausage, I like to go 60% pork, 40% beef. You can get the ground beef cheap in those 5 lb rolls @ Restaurant Depot.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X