New Smoker Success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    Nice... stainless would rock... but OMG $$.
    i'll find something i got all winter to look
    sigpic

22’ kettle
    5 burner gas grill
    Anova
    Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
    F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
    _____
    Jim

Comment

Nice build

Make friends at the recycle center, I see stainless stuff all the time.

The only thing I see you may want to do is line the whole bottom and a few inches up the walls with foil for easy clean up.

I like your smoke generator. I have a "older version" how well does the one with the air inlet on the side work?

Comment

Now that is SWEET!!! Congrats on the new addition, and a great smoke!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

How about lining it with galv metal about 4' up? .... Or is that bad to use?.... Wifes uncle burned 2 down before he lined his with it..... If it is bad for your health then that would explain him being the way he is then....

Good idea on the foil for clean up
          sigpic

Comment

That's a pretty cool looking smoker.

I was always a bit nervous about wood and fire!
            Wood goes GREAT with fire.

just be sure it's a ways from the house/garage.
            AND keep it VERY CLEAN around the burner.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            How about lining it with galv metal about 4' up? .... Or is that bad to use?...
            Big ongoing debate regarding that. Prevailing opininon seems to be it's not a good idea.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nice... stainless would rock... but OMG $$.
              yep... about $130 for a 4x8 sheet right now, and that is just mill finish. figure at least 160 or so for brushed, and about 200+ for mirror/polished. the stuff ain't cheap, but it is food-grade if executed properly, and that is by FDA standards... however THAT is a whole other issue.

i love the wood man. i gotta give you points for that. i wish i had the time/space for another fridge-sized smoker. lol. did you seal the pine with anything, or are you just going to let it age and gray?

Later,
              Andy
              Current babies:
              -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
              -RichTee's Lang :)
              Former Lineup:
              -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
              -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
              -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
              -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
              BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

I love the new smoker!

May I suggest rigging something to keep any grease drippings off the open flames. The fire has a tendency to climb up the drippings.....don't ask me how I know.
                Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                  How about lining it with galv metal about 4' up? .... Or is that bad to use?....
                  bad stuff. if it's not in contact with the food, you are safe for the most part. it's the zinc that will get you for the most part. there is some other stuff in there too, but zinc is what gives you glav. poisoning and "metal fume fever"...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002570.htm (from the gov't, so you know they are telling the truth... )

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/h...etal-poisoning

i've had it (not from smoking... welding), and it ain't fun. it's usually not toxic, but depending on how long the zinc has been off-gassing, how long your food is exposed to it, etc, it could be pretty nasty. since mine was only air-borne and for a short period of time (about 2 minutes in the fumes), i was able to just go inside for a bit, sit down, drink some milk, and about an hour later, i forgot all about it. i now have a roof exhaust fan mounted in the garage and it's on every time i'm welding.

for smokers, i will never use galv for anything that is near, let alone in contact, with food. i have a galv. ash pan, and the flue on my smoker is galv., but other than that, it is all raw steel or stainless. aluminum has a tendancy to melt (about 1200*F +/-), and zinc WILL melt if it is anywhere near an open flame... zinc melts around 600*F +/-. the exact melting points depend up the exact composition of the metals.

Later,
                  Andy
                  Current babies:
                  Former Lineup:
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                    Make friends at the recycle center, I see stainless stuff all the time.

The only thing I see you may want to do is line the whole bottom and a few inches up the walls with foil for easy clean up.

I like your smoke generator. I have a "older version" how well does the one with the air inlet on the side work?
                    There's always room for impovements. The smoke generator i kinda some what copied that smoke daddy generator, have not used it yet.
                    sigpic

22’ kettle
                    5 burner gas grill
                    Anova

_____
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
                      yep... about $130 for a 4x8 sheet right now, and that is just mill finish. figure at least 160 or so for brushed, and about 200+ for mirror/polished. the stuff ain't cheap, but it is food-grade if executed properly, and that is by FDA standards... however THAT is a whole other issue.

i love the wood man. i gotta give you points for that. i wish i had the time/space for another fridge-sized smoker. lol. did you seal the pine with anything, or are you just going to let it age and gray?

Later,
                      Andy
                      just varnish, I had that laying around, hate to let goto waste.
                      sigpic

22’ kettle
                      5 burner gas grill
                      Anova

_____
                      Jim

Comment

bad stuff. if it's not in contact with the food, you are safe for the most part. it's the zinc that will get you for the most part. there is some other stuff in there too, but zinc is what gives you glav. poisoning and "metal fume fever"...

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002570.htm (from the gov't, so you know they are telling the truth... )

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/h...etal-poisoning

i've had it (not from smoking... welding), and it ain't fun. it's usually not toxic, but depending on how long the zinc has been off-gassing, how long your food is exposed to it, etc, it could be pretty nasty. since mine was only air-borne and for a short period of time (about 2 minutes in the fumes), i was able to just go inside for a bit, sit down, drink some milk, and about an hour later, i forgot all about it. i now have a roof exhaust fan mounted in the garage and it's on every time i'm welding.

for smokers, i will never use galv for anything that is near, let alone in contact, with food. i have a galv. ash pan, and the flue on my smoker is galv., but other than that, it is all raw steel or stainless. aluminum has a tendancy to melt (about 1200*F +/-), and zinc WILL melt if it is anywhere near an open flame... zinc melts around 600*F +/-. the exact melting points depend up the exact composition of the metals.

Later,
                        Andy
                        thats what thought. bad Joo-Joo
                        sigpic

22’ kettle
                        5 burner gas grill
                        Anova

_____
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Kicken Asphalt View Post
                          just varnish, I had that laying around, hate to let goto waste.
                          Varnish, another NO NO. I'll let someone else get into the details but it's like smoking paint. Think about it!

Great lookin box by the way, I love wood. That's all we used as a kid (my Dads) but they all burned up eventually. But then that was mostly kinda cold smoking (fish).
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                            Varnish, another NO NO. I'll let someone else get into the details but it's like smoking paint. Think about it!

Great lookin box by the way, I love wood. That's all we used as a kid (my Dads) but they all burned up eventually. But then that was mostly kinda cold smoking (fish).
                            the inside is bare... he varnished the pine on the outside for weather protection
                            Current babies:
                            Former Lineup:

Comment

omg now that is cool
                              MES 30'
                              Weber Gensis
                              UDS build in progress
                              Big Chief
                              1999 Weber Kettle-Black
                              1980's NIB smokey Joe
                              IGRILL WHITE

I spent half my money on woman and booze the rest i wasted.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grill...8512882?ref=hl

Comment

the inside is bare... he varnished the pine on the outside for weather protection
                                Ohhhh
                                Mark
                                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                                X