No announcement yet.

FNG from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's three uf us close enough to cause trouble!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Well, I could not think of a better person for one. Just sayin'
      Yep, if there was anyone who should know how to keep it from turning into ashes, it should be the fireman.

As long as he doesn't loan it to Slanted's Dad's friend, should be fine.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
        That's three uf us close enough to cause trouble!
        Yep! Let's bring him along for our meetup next week! Ill PM you Mark And Larry with my good and bad days...
        Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
        Weber Performer
        Weber 22.5" OTG
        Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
        Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
        Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
        BBQ Food Truck

Comment

We have to have a FL get together this winter!
          Now that's something we can do!
          Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
          Weber Performer
          Weber 22.5" OTG
          Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
          Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
          Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
          BBQ Food Truck

Comment

Sounds good. I have a weird (firefighters) schedule but I will make it work.
            My wood smoker is made with 1/2" plywood and is 2' X 2' X 6'. It has firebrick for the floor & the charcoal & wood go on the brick. There is a fire box door at the bottom so I can tend the fire without opening up the whole smoker. There are 4 trays that slide on runners and they are behind a large door so the trays are completely covered by the door. I build a small charcoal fire, about 12-15 coals & get 'em going to a nice grey and put 'em in the bottom and I put some wood chunks/pieces on top of the charcoals. I have no temp device at all. I just control the temp by "feel" and add wood or more charcoals to adjust the temp as needed. I do alot of fish and it usually takes about 4-6 hours depending on the thickness of the filets. My friends hunt and bring me coolers full of hog & deer quarters & I smoke them & make BBQ or Bambi-Q and keep some for my efforts. I do pork butts & take them into the FD & we have a pig-out feast. The guys will eat anything BBQ'd or smoked. I have trimmed my brisket & made a rub based on a few recipes that I found on a few sites & they are in the fridge. I will fire up the smoker at about 4 AM & hopefully have a nice dinner tomorrow. We'll see (said the Zen Master).
            BTW, I have made 3 smokers in 30 years: the first died of "wet rot" as the sprinkler system hit it every other day. The second one was lost to fire. Operators error for sure. I neglected to paint both sides of the doors so when the smoker was fired up the doors would bow out, letting in too much O2 and started the juices running onto the coals & there was 30' flames. My neighbor came running over & asked me if I wanted him to call the Fire Dept & I said "NO!!" LMAO!! I put out the fire with a garden hose & the meat was salvageable. The third smoker is still in use (about 20 years old) and so far so good. I am gonna "finally" put a temp gauge in it so I will know what is actually happening in it.
            MES 30"
            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
            Weber 22" kettle
            E-Z-Que rotisserie
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Big Weber Gasser
            Cracker Smoker
            UDS

Comment

That is a traditional "Cracker Smoker". We had three of them when I was a kid. All we smoked was fish.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I have a 2" Ribeye on the grill now & lobster tails in the pot. Dinner is soon!!
                MES 30"
                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                Weber 22" kettle
                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Big Weber Gasser
                Cracker Smoker
                UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
                  Sorry for the late reply to you all but I was on duty last night & we had storms & I was up running fire calls all night. I'm gonna need a nap soon!!

David, Bucs, Rays & all FL College teams.

Hoser, where is little Rhody?

Aardvark, Yes, wood. How do I post Pics?

Mark R, I work for So. Pasadena Fire Dept & live in Seminole. A get-together sounds great. Where do you live in St. Pete? My cabinet shop is in Pinellas Park.

Big Guy, I live in Seminole.

Squirrel, It would be great to have you come down for a get-together. I'm sure we could find a place for you to stay.

I need to learn how to post pics here. Any help will be appreciated.
                  "Little Rhody is just the nickname for Rhode Island...the smallest state.
                  We do, however spend considerable time just south of you in Venice, FL.
                  sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

welcome to the island of misfit smokers, glad you dropped in and decided to hang around.

you need to post some pic's of the wooden smokehouse as soon as you can

Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

We have to have a FL get together this winter!
                      That sounds like a plan, I'll be there about mid November
                      Col. Big Guy

Comment

Here is my "cracker" smoker, made of 1/2" plywood.

I have done a dozen mackerel as well as an entire hog (hanging) in it. I do alot of ribs & butts & game that my hunter friends bring to me to smoke it for them. I get ALOT of that.

The bottom is firebrick & the coals & wood go on that.I usually get some coals going & put the wood on the coals & after that I only add more wood as needed, unless I need to jack up the temp then I add more coals.

The trays are made from 1 X 4 Pine & 1/2" hardware cloth & slide on wood runners that are on the side of the interior.

It looks like an outhouse when closed up.

MES 30"
                        A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                        Weber 22" kettle
                        E-Z-Que rotisserie
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Big Weber Gasser
                        Cracker Smoker
                        UDS

Comment

Yup... cracker as dey come, mon! But- apparently to this point... working just fine!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

fascinating - that is way more basic than I was imagining lol

So no drip tray, chimney or heat deflector/diffuser.

What sort of paint did you use ?
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yes, VERY basic. That is the way I learned it. No temp gauge or vent. The air flow through the smoker is only what comes in and goes out around the doors. I do put a foil tray on the bottom shelf if I'm doing butts, etc., so the juices don't drip onto the fire & put it out. No heat deflector. When doing fish I rotate the trays so they all get even exposure to the radiant heat from the fire.
                                I use any good grade exterior primer & paint. I caulk all of the seams & joints before painting. I wish I could say what the temps get to inside when smoking stuff but I have never checked it. I just know what it should be doing & if not I adjust the fire. Works for me but now that I have gone "high tech" with an electric smoker I will have to look at getting more scientific with the wood "cracker" smoker. DAMM, you guys have ruined me! LOL
                                Last edited by L20A; 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM.
                                MES 30"
                                A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                                Weber 22" kettle
                                E-Z-Que rotisserie
                                Weber Smokey Joe
                                Big Weber Gasser
                                Cracker Smoker
                                UDS

Comment

Working...
                                X