My New (Old) Drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New (Old) Drum

My current drum was showing signs of needing some work or possible replacement. Temps harder to hold, etc.

I was looking around for another barrel to work with. On a recent visit with my step mom and her husband I happened to mention that I was in search of a new drum. That's when they offered me this:

It's the drum I built for them as a wedding present over eight years ago. They're gettin' old and don't use it much. So I said I'd take it and they delivered it a week or so later.

Grates still look new.

Coal basket still in great shape.

Turns out they only cooked on it twice. And I cooked on it once at home right after the build just to make sure it was working alright. And one more time after delivery to them to show 'em how to use it. So only four cooks total.

So naturally I had to wake 'er up and give 'er a little exercise!

Results were good, but I had to get used to using the different lid and vent systems. I chased temperatures up and down for awhile, but eventually got it dialed in. The flat top lid with bung exhaust definitely behaves differently from the 4-damper Weber lid I've gotten used to. Of course it didn't help that my usually excellent favorite oak lump let me down with a bunch of tiny chunks.

What I really wanted was to put the dome on the new drum, but it doesn't fit the thick rolled lip of the heavier drum. Sooooo...

It so happens that I had saved a section of a drum the same size as my old one. Cut a little off the top just below the rim. Maybe I could just shove it down inside the heavier barrel leaving the smaller rim exposed above the larger one. Just enough for the dome lid to sit on. Would it fit inside the big can? One way to find out.

Took a wire wheel to the rim to clean it up a bit. And used a putty knife to the area inside the mouth of the drum to scrape out a little crud build up. Then put 'er in place. Almost didn't fit. Very tight. But I was able to baff it in place with a rubber mallet.

And there you have it! Fit so tight I didn't need any hardware or sealer.

Lid fits even better than it did on the old drum!

I love this lid especially with the extra dampers!

Stay tuned. You'll see this baby in action soon!

Thanks for lookin'!
    sigpic
    "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
    Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
    UDS, Viking grill

Great idea.
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Nicely done.. Waiting for it in action..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Good job
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
          Nicely done.. Waiting for it in action..
          Well actually it was in action here: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=42327 Oops! Forgot to take a pic! But it worked without a flaw. I'll show it in action on my next cook.
          sigpic
          "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
          Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
          UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Perrty cool refurb! I have been debating building one of those for a while now.

Comment

Working...
            X