Canning question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning question...

Okay so I am trying to figure this out... I got these sweet hot pickles in the Christmas exchange and here are the ingredients... see pic... Cucumbers, sugar, water, salt, pepper flakes..... How can that be??? Did they just leave out the vinegar?? Typically I see equal parts sugar and vinegar... Doesn't there have to be vinegar in there???? Any canning experts out there that can explain this and what I need to do... Thanks!!

Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

No expert here, but initial thoughts are if they are "pressure canned" properly (time & pressure), they don't necessarily have to have vinegar Just like canning other items I'm guessing that don't have vinegar. When I can pickles or salsa I think it's considered a "water bath" or something like that.

Sure some old pro's will be along soon to give a better answer & why
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      No expert here, but initial thoughts are if they are "pressure canned" properly (time & pressure),
      That is what I was thinking as well... do not have a pressure caner... I just use water bath and process.. might give this a try with vinegar and hope for the best... they were so so good!!
      Brian

Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Maybe I.C. can go thru this, but yes..I believe it's due to the process that the acidity vinegar provides can be dispensed with.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You are correct, for water bath canning of those ingredients there would have to be something in there for acidity, generally. High sugar content is also a food preservative, think of jams and jellies or fruit canned in syrup. For a great canning recipe for sweet hot jalapenos do a quick search for cowboy candy, they are addictive!
          Phil. 4:13
          Scott

Comment

I'm assuming you tasted them? Did it taste like they had vinegar in it? Maybe he forgot it on the label? Without tasting them, I'm just throwing out suggestions.

Sugar is a great preservative as well. Think jellies and jams. Not sure if the hot water bath is enough, though. The pressure cooking method would do it.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
              I'm assuming you tasted them? Did it taste like they had vinegar in it? Maybe he forgot it on the label? Without tasting them, I'm just throwing out suggestions.

Sugar is a great preservative as well. Think jellies and jams. Not sure if the hot water bath is enough, though. The pressure cooking method would do it.
              Yes I did taste them... I ate them so dang fast they were so good.... I have a feeling there is no vinegar in them now that I try to remember what they tasted like... I do not have pressure cooker like is said... so I will go with a bread and butter version with just the hot pepper spice none of the other stuff.

Thanks for the comments... if anyone has ideas let me know!! I have tried to contact Bigun's but no answer.. I am guessing they are out of business... internet site is down as well.
              Brian

Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

pressure canning would turn cukes to mush I think...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Maybe I.C. can go thru this, but yes..I believe it's due to the process that the acidity vinegar provides can be dispensed with.
                  Well, looks like the whole pressure canning thing got covered, but I will offer this up: Depending on how much sugar is added, you could reach an osmotic balance/available water thing that would preserve them, similar to jams/jellies, but Im not real well versed in that side of things. Something along the lines of a hot b&b thing should be easy enough, and wouldn't necessarily require processing if you kept them in the refrigerator.
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                    Well, looks like the whole pressure canning thing got covered, but I will offer this up: Depending on how much sugar is added, you could reach an osmotic balance/available water thing that would preserve them, similar to jams/jellies, but Im not real well versed in that side of things. Something along the lines of a hot b&b thing should be easy enough, and wouldn't necessarily require processing if you kept them in the refrigerator.
                    Thanks I.C.!

I am going to give this a shot... we will see how it turns out!!
                    Brian

Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X