smokin with thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin with thermometers

Can someone explain to me about using a dual probe maverick thermometer? I notice in most posts, that whoever is showing there meat on the smoker, that one of the probes is stuck in a potato,why or how come!

Using the probe in a potato is one way of knowing the temp at the grate/rack you have your food is placed on. Temps can vary at different levels depending on the type smoker you're using.
    GOSM Big Block
    Weber 22 1/2 in. grill
    Brinkman all-in-one charcoal and gas
    Pepperhead Award posthumously-

Miss you Rich- How's the ABT's up there?

Comment

Its better than putting the probe directly on the grate because it reads the "air" temp instead of the "metal grate" temp
      Keith

Comment

the dual probe Maverick i have has a long probe, for the meat, and a lil short stubby probe, that fits in a clip, you attach to the grill........

now some folks who doesn't have a thermo with two probes, will use two digis, with the long probes..........one in the meat, the other long one you can stick thru a piece of wood, or tater.

or when you do ribs, you don't use the meat probe........so you can stick that thru a piece of wood, or a tater..........just make sure the probe tip sticks thru the item you are using to support the probe.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thats some great advice Rich, only thing I would add is..................when its time to clean them probes, try very hard not to kink the cables and NEVER emerse the coonections of the probe and cable in any liquid. It will ruin it. I just use wipes to clean mine.Just be real carefull around that connection area and try to avoid alot of water near there.
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Yep, it's the best way to tell the smoker temp at the food level. A lot of times the thermometer provided with the smoker is inaccurate, or not at the same level of the food. And temps can vary depending on the type of smoker you have. It just insures you keep the food in the desired temperature range.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

? I'm thinkin since it is a form of a capillary tube. How far from the tip does the measurement begin. If so...should some should be in the tater er wood? to absorb heat ? tryin to understand heat. Other than a butt chewin!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

My Maverick has the clip for the smoker probe...I clip it "under" the grates so that it is never in the way...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  ? I'm thinkin since it is a form of a capillary tube. How far from the tip does the measurement begin. If so...should some should be in the tater er wood? to absorb heat ? tryin to understand heat. Other than a butt chewin!
                  Mike, I read somewhere its the first 1/4 inch of the probe that reads the temp..

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Yeah I think its the tip...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, I kinda figured thats why it was done, and thanks to u for the quick response

Comment

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                            ? I'm thinkin since it is a form of a capillary tube. How far from the tip does the measurement begin.
                            It's not really a capillary tube, it's just a sheath to protect the wires with a pointy end to facilitate pushing it into a hunk of meat. Towards the end of the probe where the wires are joined is where the measurement takes place.

Dave
                            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                            -
                            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                              Thats some great advice Rich, only thing I would add is..................when its time to clean them probes, try very hard not to kink the cables and NEVER emerse the coonections of the probe and cable in any liquid. It will ruin it. I just use wipes to clean mine.Just be real carefull around that connection area and try to avoid alot of water near there.
                              I was recently frustruated at a thermometer that I used ONCE, that didn't work the second time I went to use it.

Treat your thermos nice...or they wont treat you nice.

(BTW - the thermo that only worked once for me...I beat it into pieces with a hammer. It was very much like therapy, but better.).
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Weber 22.5" Silver
                              Weber Performer Platinum
                              Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                              Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X