Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My smoked cheese is horrible. What went wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, Alder is mild and provides to my taste the best smoked cheese. I have used Alder fine chips almost a very heavy sawdust. This always produces excellent Weber/amazn tray smoked cheese. My new MES40 has been a challenge but after several tries I have narrowed it down to produce great smoke cheese. I found Alder pellets but they burn fast with tons of smoke. I think removing the chip tray sounds like a great idea for air flow and reducing the depth of the pellets in the AMZN tray.
    sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
    Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
    Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
    Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
    fire pit in the yard
    10 & 12 Lodge DO,
    Maverick ET73, ET732.
    A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
    MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
      Kind of what I was thinking. Maybe stuff the tube smoker full off wet apple chips(which I have) and place on a couple of coals????
      Never use soaked wood chips - you'll get thick white smoke with a lot of particulates.

So far I've always cold smoked with oak chippings. Bought 20kg some years ago, still got about 10kg left. My smokevark runs for 16-18 hours on 1 lb of oak chippings/sawdust. And that's in a big old chargriller outlaw.
      Looking at the colour of that cheese from 2 hours - yeah, way way too much smoke. Mine is nowhere near as dark after 4 hours.

Try only half filling the tube and then shake down lengthwise so it produces half the volume of smoke.
      Or better yet, use sawdust rather than pellets and do the same.

I also add fresh bayleaves and sometimes pistachio shells to the sawdust. Slows the smoke generation down and adds extra flavour to the smoke.
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This is my no heat cheese smoking rig. Typically use apple chips in the aux smoke generator. Temps inside run only 10 degrees over ambient. Never let me down. Smoke 1 to 3 hours depending on how hard and large the cheese is. I also like to through a couple of sticks of butter the last hour. Try smoked butter on corn on the cob and baked potatoes. Yum!

Comment

Originally posted by Smoketologist View Post

This is my no heat cheese smoking rig. Typically use apple chips in the aux smoke generator. Temps inside run only 10 degrees over ambient. Never let me down. Smoke 1 to 3 hours depending on how hard and large the cheese is. I also like to through a couple of sticks of butter the last hour. Try smoked butter on corn on the cob and baked potatoes. Yum!
          What is that smoke generator?

Smoked butter?? Oh...that has to kick ass.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

That black box to the right is a Masterbuilt cold smoker designed to mount on the side of my smoker. But using the "aux smoker generator " and the flex tube allows cooler temps.

Comment

Smoked butter DOES kick ass...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X