Jerky Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Ignore rich - I only use home brew for jerky :-)
    Hmm. My comment was directed at the typical crap Google searches give you. YOU may ignore me. Some newbs prolly should not.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I used the Heinz Worcestershire because it is easy to find here in Western PA (imagine that, everyone seems Heinz here). It does have the fish. Whether it is "real" or not I don't know but it is delicious.

I tested the smoker tonight and it held 160-170 for the 40 min​utes i had it on. But..... No smoke with a few hickory chips in the pan. Not that I thought it would at that temp.

I wanted to make some jerky this weekend. Might have to make some sort of smoke generator for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

I say don't get hung up on smoke when making jerky...I mean it's a great addition to jerky but not necessary...Jerky is great with or without smoke...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          I say don't get hung up on smoke when making jerky...I mean it's a great addition to jerky but not necessary...Jerky is great with or without smoke...
          x2 on this I enjoy a nice hint of smoke but have tasted some over-smoked jerky as well.
          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

X3
            sigpic

Comment

My next batch of jerky I am going to cure down by the salt marsh on a rock like they did 300 years ago......

Actually I use a home brew, it is posted on here some where. I Have and Have not used a curing agent. These days a do prefer to use a cure, nbetter safe than sorry.

Lots of great info in this thread good luck on your next batch.

Remember practice makes perfect.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                My next batch of jerky I am going to cure down by the salt marsh on a rock like they did 300 years ago......

Actually I use a home brew, it is posted on here some where. I Have and Have not used a curing agent. These days a do prefer to use a cure, nbetter safe than sorry.

Lots of great info in this thread good luck on your next batch.

Remember practice makes perfect.
                I use a homebrew too...Always have...

And so far I keep practicing but I aint perfect
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I actually prefer it without smoke.Iand I love me some jerky
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

You use a home brew..but have learned stuff here.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Planning on making a small batch from a store bought kit this weekend.

Found a way to make a cheap pellet tube so I can give it a little smoke and then I'll toss it in the dehydrator to finish it.

One question.... I know wood choice is usually a matter of personal preference but can I get some input on what wood would be good for jerky and cheese? In my area I can only buy wood pellets in 20 lb bags that are intended for pellet grills so I really didn't want to buy two bags. I was thinking hickory. Apple seems like it might not be a strong enough flavor for jerky and while I like mesquite for jerky it would probably be too strong for cheese. Hickory seemed like a good compromise.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Once I come up with a method that works well and is repeatable maybe you home brew guys can offer some advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Comment

Made a couple pounds of jerky yesterday in the dehydrator. Delicious. Couldn't find any hickory pellets locally so once I get some I will try a little smoke next time on half of the batch and do a side by side comparison.

Comment

Working...
                        X