Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get 16 hours from one basket in mine at 250°.
    MES 30"
    A-Maze-N pellet smoker
    Weber 22" kettle
    E-Z-Que rotisserie
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Big Weber Gasser
    Cracker Smoker
    UDS

Comment

Sticky Recommendation

Good morning/Afternoon and evening all y'all.

In my recent research for UDS building tips and tricks, there are just a few tutorials out there that show up, with the proper Google search criteria, that are helpful.

This one being one of them. DDave nice work on this one in particular!! Great help!
      With that being said, I would make the recommendation that this be a sticky in the UDS category. This would save all that time of crawling through posts and endless searches. In my mind.

Thank you.
      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
        I would make the recommendation that this be a sticky in the UDS category. This would save all that time of crawling through posts and endless searches. In my mind.
        Well..I think that’s a dang good ideaer
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
          DDave nice work on this one in particular!! Great help!
          Thank you, Ryan. I'm glad you found it helpful.

Actually I built another one here just recently and came up with three or four suggestions I would like to add.

1. Wear gloves when you are building this.
          2. Wear gloves when you are building this.
          3. Remember to wear gloves when you are building this.

There was one more thing I wanted to add . . . what was it again . . . oh yeah

4. Wear gloves when you are building this.

Depending on how the expanded metal is cut you may end up with points like the ones circled in red in the picture.

Those points are wicked razor sharp and will lay your finger open faster than you can say "What the hell happened?" and "Why are there drops of blood all over my driveway!".

At least that's what I have heard.

So, do yourself a favor and wear gloves.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I second that by saying wear real gloves suitable for that kinda work. They tend to be tough, thick, and not as comfortable

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wahoo95 View Post
              I second that by saying wear real gloves suitable for that kinda work. They tend to be tough, thick, and not as comfortable
              Yet more comfortable than stiches.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Yet more comfortable than stiches.
                I didn't end up with stitches but, man, it bled like a m%^&*#$&r.

And expanded metal tends to be rusty as well making the potential even more interesting.
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Tetanus immunizations are good for five years. Just sayin'...
                  sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

A question about the thickness of that #9 expanded metal used for the sides of your basket. Is the thickness of that expanded metal similar to 9 gauge sheet metal, which runs about .15" thick?

If it isn't available, does anyone have long lasting results with the thinner stuff (16 - 18 gauge) that is commonly found at big-box retailers like Menards/TSC/Home Depot? At about .048" to .060" in thickness it seems to me you are eventually looking a serious warpage, if not a downright burned through failure.

Another common trade designation for expanded sheet is 1/2-#13 which as I understand it would run around .086" to .092" thick.

Thoughts?... Opinions?... OWT's??

==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
                      A question about the thickness of that #9 expanded metal used for the sides of your basket. Is the thickness of that expanded metal similar to 9 gauge sheet metal, which runs about .15" thick?
                      Overall Thickness:0.120" according to https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0952815
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

Thanks DDave... excellent linkage!

It appears that nomenclature on these expanded metals can vary between use of gauge, #, mil and even and fractional sizing from what I've been seeing online. What my 0-6" caliper is telling me when I checked 3 different size thicknesses out in our stock room at work proved differently however.

I guess what I am most interested in, despite whatever designation the manufacturer or mill it came from puts on it... what would be a minimally acceptable thickness of the strand itself to be assured the basket will stand up to years of use.

I've seen many videos on YouTube of folks fashioning square & rectangular baskets out of the big-box store stuff which seems the easiest way to go if time and budget come into play, but the unit being built in this thread is more the way to go for a drum smoker to my eye.
                        ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Yer lookin’ for around an eighth inch...err.. .125” err... 3-ish MM

And any supporting you can lend the bottom will be a life increaser.

Comment

Working...
                          X