No announcement yet.

Basic Smokes Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some of the SUGGESTIONS.......should be noted AS THAT..........

i do NOT agree on the lump suggestion..........i HATE lump, burns to hot, burns TOO fast, and some of it POPS like popcorn...........not good if you are using a ecb gourmet. When you pull the main unit off, the charcoal is exposed, and pops embers everywhere..........trust me, i know, i have stepped on em.........so has Kev. not EVERYONE has a offset/lang/etc.

i will put up times and taste with RO Bricks against ANY lump.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
      i will put up times and taste with RO Bricks against ANY lump.
      RO had a good brick. Problem is MOST bricks are no where near as good as RO, or lump. I only have trouble with sparking/popping when the lump is first lit. After it settles in, it rarely if at all pops. And yes..it IS hotter, but in some cases that's an advantage, too.

And of COURSE... do not use MATCHLIGHT type bricks. You WILL regret it
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        RO had a good brick. Problem is MOST bricks are no where near as good as RO, or lump. I only have trouble with sparking/popping when the lump is first lit. After it settles in, it rarely if at all pops. And yes..it IS hotter, but in some cases that's an advantage, too.

And of COURSE... do not use MATCHLIGHT type bricks. You WILL regret it
        i just think, telling folks lump is the best, is a SUGGESTION !........not written in stone by any means........the rest of the basics is spot on!

I have tried it. Several times.........i find i just get consistant results using RO bricks.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
          and some of it POPS like popcorn...........not good if you are using a ecb gourmet. When you pull the main unit off, the charcoal is exposed, and pops embers everywhere..........trust me, i know, i have stepped on em.........so has Kev.
          I'd tend to agree. A friend of mine was grilling once and grabbed a bag of lump instead of briquettes. It didn't burn well and was popping all over the place. He was blowing on it trying to get it to burn better, and it popped a hot spark right in his eye. Not a good day. I've never bought any lump since.
          Mike
          Life In Pit Row

Comment

I have used both quite a bit but use pretty much just lump now. My main reason specifically is the reduced amount of ash. It is kinda of pain cleaning out ash buildup several times over a long smoke. I wouldn't tell anyone not to use briquettes if that is their preference but I would say that the ash-factor makes it less convenient for me.
            KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Thats right, I compair bricks to lump as baloney to ham. I have tried both and will never go to bricks again, too much ash clay, junk and whatever else they feel to add to it. Just takes a lil bit of adjustment to make the change. smaller fires, and 10 minutes less burn time. I know that can be tough to change, but it is what it is.

If you are smokin ribs or tenderloins or grilling hot dogs and burgers, then briks are the way to go, if you have a 10-12 hr smoke, you better have a good sized firebox and a huge space under the charcoal basket, because the ash will kill ya.

Telling folks that briquettes are better is just as much a suggestion my friend. Its a matter of adaptation. Its not written in stone, but is preferred by the majority of Q sites as well as Q chefs. Sorry, it is what it is. Use 98% carbon( lump) or dust, parts and whatever else the manufacturers want to add to be cost effective( briquettes).

So instead of starting a pissing match, It really boils down to what ya feel comfortable cooking with.Nothing is written in stone, we have folks who plug in their smokers and go to bed, or others who start a fire and babysit their smoker for a half of a day.Some finish in the oven, and others who finish on the grill or use microwaves to add the finishing touches. Thats pretty much the greatest part of this hobby. nothing is written in stone, cept ya better not run outta food. Thats a bozo no-no!
              Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

i NEVER said, briqs was better.........i SAID...........i PREFER briqs over lump, and gave my reasons............so if you looking for a pissing match, you won't find it here..........i SAID.........SAYING lump is the best, is a OPINION........saying briqs is best is a opinion.........i was just saying you shouldn't say one is the best over the other...........as you have read, several of us feel briqs are better in our smoking situations.

Telling a newbie that one is better than the other, is just wrong..........make suggestions.........let the individual decide for himself......give the pro and cons of each............thats ALL i was trying to get across...........

Comment

How bout: to get a good fire use two quarts a #2 diesel fuel with a couple a chuncks a good black railroad tie then make sure the smoke looks like that from a steam engine, when the fire be goin good add in several pieces a pine er better yet treated lumber ifin ya can find it.......Oh wait, is that right?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
                    How bout: to get a good fire use two quarts a #2 diesel fuel with a couple a chuncks a good black railroad tie then make sure the smoke looks like that from a steam engine, when the fire be goin good add in several pieces a pine er better yet treated lumber ifin ya can find it.......Oh wait, is that right?
                    Heh... anyone who thinks so deserves that meal, Tip.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X