Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron

Cooking With Iron If You Cook It With Dutch Ovens Or Cast Iron Pans, Here's Where You Want To Show It.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Happy Birthday douglaslizard
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Posted On: 02-24-2018
Replies: 11
Views: 223
0 Hi there, folks.
Replies: 20
Views: 247
0 New Member From Fuquay Varina, NC
Replies: 13
Views: 120
0 Yakisoba with steak and shrimp
Last Post: HawgHeaven
Replies: 2
Views: 29
0 Brisket for burgers/ sausage?
Last Post: zeroghd
Replies: 2
Views: 39
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,583 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,375 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 651,771 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 02-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All

I had that problem with mine recently. Seasoning just slowly started coming off in small flakes.

Take a good stiff nylon brush to it and get all the loose stuff off. Cook some greasy foods a couple times and wipe it out but leave a bit of the oil behind. Put it in the oven at 500 for an hour and leave it to cool. It should polymerize whats on it and then you can start the re seasoning process like it was new.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Thanks for the input guys...I'm not thinking too hot on the grill is the reason...Since it is most always used on the grill with the CI grates and they are fine I think the pan should be too...

I do think the idea of the seasoning building up too thick may be my problem...

Thought that continued cooking would correct the issue but each time I use it more flakes away...And it seems kinda thick to me...

I have used other pans over the Vortex... I know what a pan with all the good stuff cooked away looks like...Had to re-season two of them cause of that...That's not the case here...
my vortex ci pan... work it to death...no seasoning in it...Louie... don't bring that in here...wash it under the hose...

Old 02-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
I had that problem with mine recently. Seasoning just slowly started coming off in small flakes.

Take a good stiff nylon brush to it and get all the loose stuff off. Cook some greasy foods a couple times and wipe it out but leave a bit of the oil behind. Put it in the oven at 500 for an hour and leave it to cool. It should polymerize whats on it and then you can start the re seasoning process like it was new.
I think when I get the chance I will take a wire brush on the drill and seriously clean off anything that will come loose and then reseason with the flax seed oil...

I used it to night on the grill and it preformed perfectly...Just bothers me to see it in such a state...

When I wiped it tonight, the roughness of the "seasoning" was shredding the paper towel...Not good...Gonna strip it and start over...

Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 02-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Living the Dream

whitey Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Masterwhitey Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Masterwhitey Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Masterwhitey Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

One trick is to spray it good with oven cleaner and wrap it tightly in a plastic . Leave it over night and then scrub and season the next day.

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cooking With Iron