Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain spout

Hi Folks,

I would like to finish all the mods on my char griller ( thanks to Hawg) before my friends get here from California because I'm cooking that suckling pig for them, thanks to Zeeker who has a great in for getting pigs.

I would really like to install a drain spout in my smoker to help get rid of all the sludge as well as drain while cleaning.

Any ideas??
    Chargriller Pro w. sfb
    Ducane 4100 propane grill
    Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Originally posted by lynsey123 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I would like to finish all the mods on my char griller ( thanks to Hawg) before my friends get here from California because I'm cooking that suckling pig for them, thanks to Zeeker who has a great in for getting pigs.

I would really like to install a drain spout in my smoker to help get rid of all the sludge as well as drain while cleaning.

Any ideas??

If you have any dogs, they will love you for it.
    Keith

Comment

Hi Folks,

Any ideas??
      Yeah but Zeekers method includes a ball peen hammerand utter darkness.

Tom

Comment

Mine has a ball valve installed, it just came that way from the mfg. If you want a pic let me know.

Comment

"Zeeker who has a great in for getting pigs."

Guess I coulda worded that a bit better huh?

So any ideas for a drain smart guys hahaha
          Chargriller Pro w. sfb
          Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
            Mine has a ball valve installed, it just came that way from the mfg. If you want a pic let me know.
            That would be great Lee
            Chargriller Pro w. sfb
            Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Do you weld or use a pop-rivet gun? If you weld, make a flange or by a flange for 3/4" pipe, attach a length of 3/4" pipe and a ball valve, mount some type of bucket or old pan right below the ball valve. If ya pop rivet, do the same and just rivet the flange to the smoker body. Either way, if ya buy all the parts brand new the cost will still be below $20 on the high end. Of course you will need to raise one end of the smoker to get it to drain. On a bubble level, a quarter bubble should be plenty. Just remember, don't leave that drain valve open while your smoking. It will screw up the air inputs. I did that a while back and it took me about a month to figure out what I had done wrong. Good luck to ya, modding a smoker is a great thing to do.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok You will have to be patient.........Dial up you know lol.

That would be great Lee

Comment

It's just a threaded pipe cut at about 45 degrees and welded to the bottom opposite the fire box end with the ball valve threded on..

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                    Do you weld or use a pop-rivet gun? If you weld, make a flange or by a flange for 3/4" pipe, attach a length of 3/4" pipe and a ball valve, mount some type of bucket or old pan right below the ball valve. If ya pop rivet, do the same and just rivet the flange to the smoker body. Either way, if ya buy all the parts brand new the cost will still be below $20 on the high end. Of course you will need to raise one end of the smoker to get it to drain. On a bubble level, a quarter bubble should be plenty. Just remember, don't leave that drain valve open while your smoking. It will screw up the air inputs. I did that a while back and it took me about a month to figure out what I had done wrong. Good luck to ya, modding a smoker is a great thing to do.
                    I would agree with Davidmcg and SmokinLee. A ball valve is your best bet Herb, just go to Canadian Tire and buy a pop rivet gun and some rivets. They sell pipe with a 1/4" flange at the end. Drill your hole and slide the pipe flange through the hole and pop rivet it in. I would advise to get a half pint of muffler cement to seal the flange in and screw your ball valve into the flange and presto, you got a drain. Walk in the park bud.

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                    Yeah but Zeekers method includes a ball peen hammer and utter darkness.
                    I also like the 22 in the head method. Same outcome, utter darkness.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                      I also like the 22 in the head method. Same outcome, utter darkness.
                      Except the hammer doesn't wake up the farmer.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        Ok You will have to be patient.........Dial up you know lol.

Dial-up -- that bites. When we moved to the rural area, we put up with dial-up for 3 months. Then we went satellite. Went through Hughes and Wild Blue. Bandwidth limits sucked. So broadband wireless became available and we signed up. Been happy ever since. Hardly ever a drop, even hard heavy rain. It is so dependable and fast we dropped the phone company and went Vonage.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          Except the hammer doesn't wake up the farmer.
                          Did you see my post in Official Mug Shots Thread. I don't do well with walking and hammers.lol
                          I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                          KCBS CBJ

Comment

Never used muffler cement on a smoker, didn't know ya could. Probably cheaper than high temp silicone/oven sealant/fire chimney sealer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zeeker View Post
                              Did you see my post in Official Mug Shots Thread. I don't do well with walking and hammers.lol
                              Forgot about that. That's funny.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X