Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Turkey Meatloaf

OK.........................

Wasn't quite sure where to put this......Sausage? ....it's ground meat.......Multi-meat? well, sort of...........Fatties?.....not wrapped in bacon, but they could be, I suppose......it's mostly turkey, so maybe here?........

This was an attempt to remember how I used to get a thick crust or coating on meatloaf, as one of my Kettle Club buddies was asking about it............and an attempt to chronicle the flurry of activity that comes from the wife & I ganging up to cook.............

There's a lot of steps in sequence for this particular job & I tried to 'capture the action'...so to speak..............

........Ok.....the wife heard me talkin' about Duke's meatloaf & got out the ground turkey we got a heckuva deal on the other day.....she thawed ALL of it.....

Tried to remember how I used to get a thick crust on loafs for Duke....start here:

Strain to get a thick product:

On to the main fix.......
    Ground turkey (50oz.), Sweet Italian sausage (28oz.) (usually this would be sweet Itl. turkey sausage, but couldn't find any on short notice, so pork):

Minced garlic, grated carrot & small chop sweet onion:

Buinch of small chop mushroom:

Pause to feed dawgs small piles of grated cheese....personal favorite.......

Dawgs continuing to pester for "MORE CHEESE !!!"

And cheese:

And 2 pkg. of meatloaf mix:

2 Eggs & certain amount of breadcrumbs:

At this point, I tried to press for some particular amounts (also known as "THE RECIPE") & was scolded & admonished & told that she'd done this so many times that she didn't know exactly......
    I'll try again later if anyone needs to know......

Meanwhile, dawgs search for 'more cheese':

Wife threatens bodily harm, if I bring home "More Webers"

this disscussion has been going on for years...I'm winning......

OK.....short nap as it was tiring taking all those photos....

On to the cooking part....

All loafed up & ready to go:

Lite rain, cool sort of spring day:

Clear the cooker of any debris like fallen asparagus from a few days ago:

Ready foodsafe firebricks:

this one's from the Ione, Ca plant of H.C. Muddox Co. just so. east out of town....one of the older brick factories still operating, I believe.....

Red, Brown. Blue....1st time I've ever used only colors, thanks to WKC, mostly:

Prop grates & load loafs:

Smouldering @300:

Brown is "G" code, Blue is "EZ" & with almost identical loads of coal & both using baskets, the brownie went 65 degrees hotter at the start....the old ones just work better.....

Tool ready,time for a short break:

But not too long as there's 'Turds to wrap.....those loafs are only going to cook maybe 40 minutes.....

Spare mushroom pieces reserved from loafs, jalepenos & 1/16" thick ribeye:

Gettin' there:

There's Duke's in the back:

Pull at approx. 160 for a short rise to 165.....

Ate this one just standing there.....

There's so much moisture from the onion ^ mushroom they almost can't dry out....which is at odds for your standard ground turkey fry-up...........

Pulled off the beef 'Turds, loaded up a pan for Ma & drove across town....

Came back & pulled the "Dessert Surprize" off the cooker:

Yup....you guessed it:

Oh ....and Duke's came out pretty good:

I think I remember adding Panko crumbs to the salsa to take up some moisture & help to crisp it up a bit in the past......

Ate one more loaf, one giant baker, four more 'Turds & my pants are tight......

Hope everyone had a great weekend & a good day today..... ;D

Phew! I'm tired just looking at the pix! Nice stuff tho... ABT's wrapped in beef...coool... interesting!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

"Phew! I'm tired just looking at the pix!"

.....kinda was able tyo capture the activity level around the ranch here !!!!

Comment

hang on, hang on - did you cover peanut butter cups in cream cheese wrap in bacon and bbq ?

Loved the meat 'rolls' but the dessert is either genius or a desire to spend time in the nearest hospital's cardiac ward - either way it's worth
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          ... ABT's wrapped in beef...coool... interesting!
          That's a new twist! I like it!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
            That's a new twist! I like it!!
            you know I though that was some decent looking bacon for the states

So, pastrami abts anyone ?
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yes, I did C. Aardvark.............

They cooked whilst I was gone over to Ma's place tho & kinda exploded......

There' s an addition to that 'Turd wrapping thing which details the beef wrap.....
              could use 'strami or procuitto < sp ? too..........

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32911

farther down.............

Comment

Why the bricks?
                Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Just to keep the flip-ups open to add wood chips without noodling around......

Can be done without, just that sometimes I like to make life easy..............

Comment

Never thought of making mini loafs. that would be good freezer snacks

Comment

Great pics thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X