Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SV Chicken off the Grill with Fried Rice....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Chicken off the Grill with Fried Rice....

I don't know where to put this because it's SV, poultry, Grill, Kitchen. Rich, you decide.

In any event, I've been messing with chicken breasts and the SV. I think I have it figured out at least for our house. So, I rubbed down two breasts with Rich's Sweet Heat GP. We use a lot of HAW also. But for this cook, the GP is the best. Then, I add in some balsamic vinegar. I go by feel so maybe 2-3 TBL. Then, in the bath for 1 hour at 149°. After that, it goes on the grill at 450-500° to get a char on both sides. Thanks to MarkR, I was informed I don't need to take them to 165° because of the bath. So, I didn't and went for the char finish.

I tented it for 10 minutes and then sliced it. Man oh man, it's so tender but not too much. Going 2 hours in SV would be mush IMO. It's moist, and full of flavor. The leftover juices in the bag are incredible. I will admit that last time I did this, I forgot to take pics but this is close enough:

The night before, I steamed 4 cups of rice and put it in the fridge.

When I went to make the dinner, I scrambled 4 eggs with a little olive oil in the wok. Set that aside and started on the veggies. I chopped up some sweet onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, garlic, and green onions.

I also made a simple marinade of soy, a little sugar, KS, and sesame oil.

Got to work on the veggies and it doesn't take too long in the Wok at med high heat. Then, add the rice, some frozen peas and carrots, mix it well. Along the way, you can add some more veggie or olive oil. Then, I dump in the marinade with actually I guess is just a sauce but you can use it as a marinade if you want to substitute beef for the chicken.

Just tend the rice and veggies until you're happy. Then, I dumped in the chicken, eggs and green onions. The whole thing really goes pretty fast. I also added some hot chili oil to mine.

This stuff was so good. Fried rice is something I usually always get at restaurants because it intimidated me a bit. That's not happening anymore.

Family absolutely loved it and since I made so much, wanted it the next night. Asked for it again next week.

It may not look like much and not much chicken cause my kids did some selective serving and I got what was left .

The whole point of this thread is really about cooking chicken breasts SV and then finishing them on the Grill or CI. Rich's rubs really work well here and I'm not trying to brown nose.

After I got this all figured out, it also opens up so many great possibilities for let's say chicken sandwiches? I'm thinking along the lines of a BLT with a ranch dressing touch for example My wife has used it for salads and it rocks. That was without the grill or CI.

My SV is worth every penny simply for what it will do with a chicken breast. Steak as well but that's another story but same principle. It's actually so simple, even I can do it.
    Last edited by Abelman; 08-28-2017, 02:08 PM.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

all day for that meal buddy! AWESOME!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I know where to put it - In Me Belly!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Bird Meat Looks Great, Pete!!

So does the Plate!!

Nice Job!!---

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Looking really nice from WA Pete
          sigpic

Comment

I bet it's delicious...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

I've made a very similar meal but not near as fancy and I feel the same about the SV really shining. I prep a lot of chicken and rice Sunday for meals during the week leaving the chicken in the vac bags after cooking, rice already cooked and in the fridge and frozen frozen veggies. I can be home from the gym and have this ready and on a plate in 10 minutes. Fast, easy and damn tasty. Love it. Will need to try some of the above ideas to turn it up a notch. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great looking meal ya got thar. 1 hr for SV chicken. I'll have to try that. My last SV chicken had a weird texture thing going, but i think i did them for 2+ hours. Thanks Man
                Mike
                Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                  Great looking meal ya got thar. 1 hr for SV chicken. I'll have to try that. My last SV chicken had a weird texture thing going, but i think i did them for 2+ hours. Thanks Man

Depends on the thickness of the Breast.
                  My Sous Vide Supreme chart says 1 hour for 1" thick (boneless), and 2.5 hours for 2" thick (bone-in). 146° or higher.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/docs..._and_temps.pdf
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

For the record, the breasts I did were ~1.5" at the thickest point. I do one hour at 149°.

However, I either hit the CI or the Grill with them to finish.

We're all still alive and nobody had any issues in the bathroom. The only difference here per Mark's advice is that I don't leave them on the grill or CI until the internal hits 165°.

The last ones were on the grill with the grate temp at 450° and they were there just long enough for the meat to sear so I could flip them. If I had to guess somewhere in the 5-10 minute range but I keep the lid shut on the grill.

Hands down the best chicken breasts I've ever had and it's all in the SV.

P.S. I also tent or foil them for 10 minutes before I slice. So, there's even more cooking there to boot.
                      Pete
                      Large BGE
                      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Depends on the thickness of the Breast.
                        My Sous Vide Supreme chart says 1 hour for 1" thick (boneless), and 2.5 hours for 2" thick (bone-in). 146° or higher.

Bear
                        Thanks John.
                        I recall the breasteses I cooked last were boneless, skinless and only about 1-1,1/2" thick. I cooked them SV for 2.5 hrs at 145 and did a torch sear to finish them off. They had a good flavor from the seasoning I used, and the family liked them, but i was disappointed in the texture of them. They weren't "mushy" but weren't right IMO either.
                        Then again, Mrs Otis says Im my own worst critic.

Thanks Mark. Bookmarked this chart.
                        What Im finding as SV gets more popular, the timetables that people are cooking is becoming shorter than i recall a few years back in the early days of us amateur SV hacks. And it all seems to be directly related to the finished texture of the meat. Oh well, Live & learn.
                        Mike
                        Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                        POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                        Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post

Thanks Mark. Bookmarked this chart.
                          What Im finding as SV gets more popular, the timetables that people are cooking is becoming shorter than i recall a few years back in the early days of us amateur SV hacks. And it all seems to be directly related to the finished texture of the meat. Oh well, Live & learn.
                          I've had that link bookmarked... thanx Mark!

Yes, it is true, Some of the times are ridiculous. Back when I was on facebook, I joined a SV group. I posted one of my London broil cooks with all the stats... I think it was 2-3 hours @ 134* then seared over RO lump. Turned out perfect. This "guru of the group" busted my balls because I should have cooked it for 30 hours. WHAT?! It would have been dog food! Yup, gotta pay attention. Mark's post is a good reference.
                          Last edited by HawgHeaven; 08-30-2017, 03:32 PM.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Good info bro!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X