pulled pork from picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulled pork from picnic

What is the time in the danger zone for pork? I got the picnic into the smoker at 6:45 with an internal of 38*. When will it be an issue with bacteria development? Smoker has been 225-250* since start. Picnic is about 8-9lbs.

Did you probe prior to cooking?

Or did you probe after the outside temp was raised?
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

prior to cooking. It's @ 131* right now
      Last edited by Jimr; 10-27-2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

the "rule" is 40 to 140 in 4 hours. .... but I guess there are different thoughts on that too... so I guess you have not hit 40 yet so you will still have 4 hours after you hit 140...
        Brian

Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

And don’t probe cold meat. Why? You know what the temp is Probe AFTER surface has reached 140. It’s a small risk..but it IS possible to “poke” nasties on the outside...inside.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
            the "rule" is 40 to 140 in 4 hours. .... but I guess there are different thoughts on that too... so I guess you have not hit 40 yet so you will still have 4 hours after you hit 140...
            pretty sure ya meant 40........

like rich said don't take temps until the surface hits 140+..........if it is a "whole intact muscle" you really don't have to worry about the danger zone in most cooking situations.
            sigpic
            it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
              pretty sure ya meant 40........

like rich said don't take temps until the surface hits 140+..........if it is a "whole intact muscle" you really don't have to worry about the danger zone in most cooking situations.
              yeah I did.. thanks!!
              Brian

Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

For the longest time I inserted my temp probe at the time I was preping and injecting. I figured if I kept everything clean it couldn't be any worse than the needles i was using. I just kept everything clean.

These days I keep everything much simpler, just a good rub and low and slow nothing below 250°F.

I have always found it difficult to make 140°F in 4 hours cooking at 255 to 250°F. I have since raised my cooking temps to 250 to 275°F and do not have any issues getting 140°F when I insert the probe at the 4 hour mark.

Last note on breaking 140°F within 4 hours, and it differs slightly from my brothers. I believe this is a government standard used for the commercial preparation of products and used to keep the public safe. While it is important it is no less important than kitchen cleanliness and personal hygiene during food prep.

During my early days of smoking I tried to "low and slow" method of cooking at 225°F and really had difficulties in getting to 140°F in 4 hours. I will admit there were smokes that 140°F occurred more around the 5 hour mark. While the 140°F is the industry benchmark and should be ours when cooking it may not be all that. It is any part of the equation for for safety.

Good luck.
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                  Last note on breaking 140°F within 4 hours, and it differs slightly from my brothers. I believe this is a government standard used for the commercial preparation of products and used to keep the public safe. While it is important it is no less important than kitchen cleanliness and personal hygiene during food prep.
                  IT of a whole muscle un-molested hunk of meat does NOT have to reach 140°/4 hrs. It would be nice, but that’s it. Because it was never exposed to any pathogens..they ain’t there to grow.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                  X