'shrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'shrooms?

so i have an un-ending hatred of mushrooms... every time i eat them, or even think of them, i can only envision either slimy, booger-like slices from the can, or dry, chalk-like nuggets from the plastic tray at the market. I want to like them... i really do... however, i have no clue how to cook them to something i would like. any suggestions? I have the same issue with olives...

Later,
    Andy
    Current babies:
    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
    -RichTee's Lang :)
    Former Lineup:
    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Oh man they can be so easy and so good! I like to slice them up and toss em in a sauce pan with 3/4 stick of butter and shake some garlic salt on them. Cook on med low for about 15 minutes then top a freshly grilled rib-eye with them. Oh yum.
    sigpicTrying to fit.....in the misfits....

Comment

Get some big portabella caps, cut the stem base off, throw them in a ziploc with:
      1/4 cup olive oil
      1/4 cup soy
      1/4 cup worchestersire
      garlic to taste
      crushed red pepper to taste

Let them marinate for a couple of hours, then throw on a low grill, indirect, with some hickory or preferably, maple. Let them roll in the smoke for a half hour or so, then give em a quick sear. Use them as a steak or burger topper, or just as they are. Done right, it should taste like the gristley end of a ribeye, you know, the part you always say you shouldn't eat, but always do.... Give it a try.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

thanks guys. neither one of those sound all that bad. they both seem to have the flavors i like on my other food, so i bet they would work. I doubt it will be tonight, but i might have to get some soon.

another question is: what do i look for when getting good ones? like i said, i have never really liked them for some reason, so i never paid attention to what a "good one" looks/feels/smells like.

Later,
        Andy
        Current babies:
        -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
        -RichTee's Lang :)
        Former Lineup:
        -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
        -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
        -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
        BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Try this

Large portabella mushroom
          Chicken Breast
          Good squishy roll

Grill some chicken then a portabella top side down, as its grilling add a bit of teriyaki in the bottom part, grill till done and place on a roll wit a piece of chicken.

I never had a mushy mushroom, usually they're pretty dense when cooked.
          My brother hates them as well but because of the Earthy taste they sometimes have.

Comment

Personally I love mushrooms.
            A litle sprinkle of Tony C's and on the smoker for 45 minutes and life don't get much better.

Since that may be a bit much if you don't really dig shrooms this is pretty good and is supposed to be great on top of steak.
            http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Warm-Mu...ad/Detail.aspx
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Eat View Post
              I like to slice them up and toss em in a sauce pan with 3/4 stick of butter and shake some garlic salt on them. Cook on med low for about 15 minutes then top a freshly grilled rib-eye with them. Oh yum.
              This is my favorite way to do them, too. I usually use a mixture of EVOO and butter to saute them. I love them over a good steak. But don't saute them too long or they will toughen up on you.
              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

I like the big, white button mushrooms. Remove the stems and stuff the caps with your favorite crabmeat mixture. Pop them on the grill, offset, until the crabmeat is done.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Get your hands on some morel mushrooms. Cracker breading. Pan fried in butter, little s&p.

One of the best things in the world.
                  Orchard Hill BBQ

Twin Chamber Rotisserie Trailer
                  Modified Chargriller RF
                  250 Gallon Homegrown Cooker

I THINK HIS SHIRT SAYS IT ALL

Comment

Working...
                  X