Aluminum Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:

I used to look at one in a Kayaking catalog that a friend of mine received.
    He actually purchased one and used it some, but he said he still thought it was a compromise.

Along in the late fall each year they reduced the price on them to nearly half price.

I think CA has a point worth considering. Cast Iron and stainless steel
    probably has the most going for it.

I've made spider skillets of old Revere Wear copper bottoms I've picked up in yard sales for little or nothing. If I want to cook in something light, that's the way I go.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

>>>I'm wondering if any of the dutch oven afficianados have used or do use aluminum ovens at all.<<<

i don't have one, but my parents do. they have no complaints, but they only use it indoors in the oven or on the stovetop. a friend of mine uses a similar large aluminum pot for cooking and loves it. i myself prefer cast iron, but there's nothing wrong with aluminum.
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
        Ah (looks at actual cookware in question) - ok that side of things has been sorted, anodised and non-reactive.
        In that case - sure, why not :-)
        Try to read the whole post! The aluminum in question would be the foil pans that we all use. Not anodized cookware. All of the aluminum Dutch Ovens I am aware of are anodized.....and non reactive.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
          I use my Club aluminum Dutch Ovens (1950's) all the time.
          Yep. Very good cast aluminum cookware. I came into possesion of a complete set after a death in the family. Originally made by Club Aluminum Utensil co. in Chicago, that company is gone and the quality went with it. After several changes, the Mirro Company now owns the brand name. Lots of original Club cookware on eBay.

Homesmoke's post had spot on information in it!
          Rudy

sigpic
          GOSM Big Block
          SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
          22.5" Weber Kettle
          Smokey Joe for the RV
          Assorted Digital Thermos
          and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            bear in mind that aluminium cookware is linked to an increasing chance of early onset alzheimers.
            Aluminium is acool metal - but you don't want it in your bloodstream.

Personally I try not to use ANY aluminium cookware - ever.

Ah (looks at actual cookware in question) - ok that side of things has been sorted, anodised and non-reactive.
            In that case - sure, why not :-)
            I recently seen on a brewing site that thats a myth about the oldtimers. There was a link to show the findings. Next time I go there Ill copy and paste it here.

Comment

I guess you can make your own determination.

Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease

A number of environmental factors have been put forward as possible contributory causes of Alzheimer's disease in some people. Among these is aluminium. There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease, but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely. This factsheet looks at the circumstantial evidence and current medical and scientific views.

Causes of Alzheimer's disease

Researchers believe that in the majority of those affected, Alzheimer's disease results from a combination of different risk factors rather than one single cause. Such factors, which vary from person to person, may include age, genetic predisposition, other diseases or environmental agents.

The chief symptoms of Alzheimer's disease are progressive decline of memory and other higher mental functions. These changes are associated with the loss of brain cells and the development of two kinds of microscopic damage in the brain known as 'plaques' and 'tangles'.

Plaques consist of an abnormal deposit of a particular protein called beta amyloid between the brain cells. Tangles occur within cells, and are formed from abnormal thread-like deposits of a protein called tau, which is normally part of the cell's 'skeleton'.

(For more information about causes of Alzheimer's disease see Factsheet 450, Am I at risk of developing Alzheimer's disease?, and Factsheet 405, Genetics and dementia.)

Evidence linking aluminium and Alzheimer's disease

The hypothesis that there is a link between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease was first put forward in the 1960s (Terry and Pena 1965, Klatzo et al 1965). Since then, researchers have claimed a number of other circumstantial links between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, as follows:
              •Aluminium has been shown to be associated both with plaques and with tangles in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease (Crapper et al 1976). However, the presence of aluminium does not mean that the aluminium was the causal factor − it is more likely to be a harmless secondary association.
              •Some have claimed that people with Alzheimer's disease have a higher than average level of aluminium in their brains. However, other studies find no difference between the overall amount of aluminium in the brains of people with Alzheimer's and the amount in normal brains (Trapp et al 1978).
              •Studies of other sources of aluminium, such as tea, antacid medications and antiperspirants have also failed to show a positive association with Alzheimer's disease (Flaten and Odegård 1988).
              •People with kidney failure are unable to excrete aluminium, and yet they frequently have to be treated with compounds that contain aluminium. Aluminium accumulates in nerve cells that are particularly vulnerable in Alzheimer's disease. However, even after years of high exposure to aluminium, patients with kidney failure are no more likely to develop dementia or the hallmark pathological changes of Alzheimer's disease (Netter et al 1990).
              •Treatment with desferrioxamine (DFO), a drug which binds aluminium and removes it from the body, also has a major effect on iron stores in the body. Therefore the effects of DFO may have nothing to do with aluminium (Gomez et al 1998).
              •There have been many experimental studies on animals and on isolated cells showing that aluminium has toxic effects on the nervous system, but in almost all cases the doses of aluminium used were much higher than those occurring naturally in tissues (Gitelman 1988).

Sources of aluminium

The main sources of aluminium in our diet include tea, beer, baked products, drinking water, toothpaste, aluminium-based antacids, aluminium cookware and some canned beverages (Rao and Rao 1995). Aluminium uptake from our diets is usually very low, with more than 99% passing through the digestive system unabsorbed. Absorption increases significantly in the presence of acidic foods such as orange juice. The small amount of aluminium that is absorbed into the body is rapidly excreted by the kidneys in urine, except in individuals with impaired kidney function, where aluminium retention within the body is responsible for dialysis dementia.

Aluminium is naturally present in some water, and aluminium sulphate is widely used in the treatment of public water supplies. However, intake of aluminium from water is very small in comparison with other sources.

Some aluminium from the air may enter the lungs as dust, but this form is highly insoluble, and hardly any reaches the rest of the body.

Only a minute proportion of the aluminium we ingest from these various sources is absorbed by the body, and even this small fraction is usually excreted in the urine or harmlessly deposited in bone, which acts as a 'sink' to remove aluminium.

The expert view on aluminium

Since the idea that the metal might be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease was first proposed there have been numerous conferences on aluminium and health. The medical research community, international and government regulatory agencies and the aluminium industry all review the evidence at frequent intervals. The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made − at least at present (Massey and Taylor 1989).

It has proved extremely difficult to devise studies to resolve this problem one way or another. Alzheimer's is a common disease with multiple causes, while aluminium is widespread in the environment, and there are no methods that allow us to measure an individual's 'body burden' or lifetime exposure to this element.

In the future, it is possible that suitable 'transgenic' animal models (which develop the pathological features of Alzheimer's disease in animals' brains) will enable scientists to determine if such changes are accelerated or exacerbated by aluminium at levels that correspond to normal human exposure.

For details of Alzheimer's Society services in your area, visit alzheimers.org.uk/localinfo
              For information about a wide range of dementia-related topics, visit alzheimers.org.uk/factsheets

References

Crapper D R, Krishnan S S and Quittkat S (1976) 'Aluminium, neurofibrillary degeneration and Alzheimer's disease'. Brain 99: 67-80

Flaten T P and Odegård M (1988) 'Tea, aluminium and Alzheimer's disease'. Food and Chemical Toxicology 26 (11-12): 959-60

Gitelman H J ed (1988) Aluminium and health, a critical review, London: CRC Press

Gomez M, Esparza J L, Domingo J L, Singh PK and Jones M M (1998) 'Comparative aluminium mobilizing actions of deferoxamine and four 3-hydroxypyrid-4-ones in aluminium-loaded rats'. Toxicology 130 (2): 175-81 (7)

Klatzo I, Wisniewski H and Streicher E (1965) 'Experimental production of neurofibrillary pathology: 1. Light microscopic observations'. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 24: 187-99

Massey RC and Taylor D eds (1989) Aluminium in food and the environment. London: Royal Society of Chemistry Netter P, Kessler M, Gaucher A and Bannwarth B 'Does aluminium have a pathogenic role in dialysis associated arthropathy?' Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 49 (8): 573-75

Rao J K S and Rao V G (1995) 'Aluminium leaching from utensils - a kinetic study'. International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition 46: 31-38

Terry R D and Pena C (1965) 'Experimental production of neurofibrillary pathology: electron microscopy, phosphate histochemistry and electron probe analysis'. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 24: 200-10

Trapp G A, Miner G D, Zimmerman R L, Mastri A R, Heston L L (1978) 'Aluminum levels in brain in Alzheimer's disease'. Biological Psychiatry 13 (6): 709-18

Factsheet 406

Last updated: September 2008
              Last reviewed: September 2008

Reviewed by: Dr Ayesha Khan, Scientific Liaison Officer, Alzheimer's Society

Comment

Put this shit to bed. My mother is 97, she does not have Alzheimer's! She was cooking daily with aluminum cookware for the last 60+ years! Bullshit! I've been eating food from aluminum cookware all my life - no Alzheimer's, yet! Let me repeat - Bullshit!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Alzheimer's Society

"but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely. This factsheet looks at the circumstantial evidence and current medical and scientific views."

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_diseas...alzheimers.asp

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...y-proof-that-a

http://www.alznyc.org/aboutalz/myths.asp

Yeah, all this got started in the 60's and 70's. More and More "Experts" are moving at a high rate away from this myth, 40 -50 years of studying the theory, absolutely no evidence exist. Time to Move on to the next fear based, half cocked, knee jerk reactionary theory...

Ditto Mark R!

~Dale

Comment

Re:

I have WearEver I grew up with and cook with it daily. It was purchased
                    long ago and has a hammered finish and wood handles with a bakelite
                    insulator.

No one in the family has had Alzheimers, and I'd bet my grandmother
                    was raised with these, before she gave them to mom.

Sometimes I wonder if these "scares" are planted by Marketing people
                    to get consumers to scrap their old stuff and buy new, you know ? Just to
                    get sales ?

Aluminum cooking ware was introduced before WW1 and so well made it was quite a value and prized for it's virtue. So what are Cooking Ware companies to do when they saturate their market ? By the 1960's the copper bottom Revere Ware made of stainless had some issues called to question for it leeching chromium & nickle into the food, but nothing was shown to be toxic with it either.

In my Opinion, I'd rather use it than something from China made out of ???.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

"Sometimes I wonder if these "scares" are planted by Marketing people to get consumers to scrap their old stuff and buy new, you know, Just to get sales ??"

Yeah the latest is the BPA scare, they are whipping up fear in new mothers just to sell a bunch of "just as safe" crap...

~D

Comment

Working...
                      X