No announcement yet.

Is this mold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt crystals tend to be a lot more transparent, and won't form those round splodges.

Pretty sure that wasn't salt.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nah, wasn't salt for sure. The grates have been cleaned, sprayed with bleach water, rinsed and dried. They will be sprayed again and rinsed and set to dry again before use. I never intended to let the bleach water sit on them and dry. Sorry for that confusion. I have made plenty of jerky with no issues. The rest was fine.
      As far as eating off of something that previously had mold on it? As long as things are cleaned properly, do not hold any odor, and don't produce any new mold, I don't see the problem.
      I really feel like this was a one-off situation where something happened with one of the grates. I would never let anyone eat anything I thought even had any chance of making them sick. Certainly never give food that I make to anyone else withought eating it myself first.
      I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Mold on meat

I guess i am not to old or dumb to learn something new. I tell people to check up on info before giving advice and i did not follow my own Advice. Just checked with the http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Molds_On_Food/ Regarding mold on meat and the correct answer is to discard it.
        Live and learn.
        Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
        Disabled
        Member American Legion
        Life Member NRA
        Life Member ARRL

Comment

it's a judgement call, and in the end you gotta do what you're comfortable with. i've made jerky in the oven, in the smoker and in the dehydrator many times, and haven't had that happen, so i coudn't say for sure.

>>>You can also rub down the meat with vinegar and clean it off and it will be fine.<<<

this is what i, personally, would do for a small amount - either that or just cut off the affected parts. but as i said, do what's right for you.

i might have missed it, but how dry was this jerky? to get mold like that takes a moist, non-salty environment, i would think.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
          Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Working...
          X