This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show and Review your enameled Dutch Oven - A buyers guide

A while back, Taz went through the process of trying to find the best enameled dutch oven for his needs...I did the same thing when I bought mine. I thought it may be useful if we put some reviews of our various dutch ovens in one place. If you have one, please take a few pics and post your thoughts.

I will start us out...I bought one at Costco. I have used it quite a bit and I love the way it heats, holds heat, cleans, and also how it looks...it is a very attractive color and I have carried it over to the neighbor's house for Christmas dinner and felt good about the presentation.

It has a stainless steel knob on the top of it, and the lid has little nipple bumps on it so moisture doesn't drain to the side walls and down, it will drip all over what is underneath...a true self baster. I think I paid about $60 bucks for mine a couple years ago. I have liked this so much, that I recently saw a skillet and bought that on the spot.

Here's the Dutch Oven. it has plastic pieces that keep the lid separated from the body for storage.

Stainless Steel Knob versus some other pheonelic knobs. This does get hot...I can attest to that.

The lid has bumps that make moisture drip from those places...a true self baster.

I wanted to get a weight...but it maxed my scale out. The lid for the dutch oven weighs 4 lbs, 5 5/8 ounces. The oven is HEAVY!

Here is the matching skillet I bought. Love it too! Link is here. Currently at $60.00 too.

Inside the skillet...

Same self basting design to the skillet lid.

I enthusiastically recommend this if it meets your budget and other criteria. Now show me yours!
    Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Really nice looking cookware BBE. Quick question on both pieces...what is the interior diameter, top and bottom? Looks to be a fairly steep taper. Probably production oriented for packaging/nesting/shipping purposes.

Thanks,
    Rudy
    Rudy

sigpic
    GOSM Big Block
    SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
    22.5" Weber Kettle
    Smokey Joe for the RV
    Assorted Digital Thermos
    and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

My Kroger has the Lodge brand ones for sale right now @ $39.99. Thx for the Costco heads up. I do like the looks of those

Comment

Mine is a Lodge 6 quart model that I bought years ago after reading the reviews in Cook's Illustrated. As I remember it was about $39.00 as is still serving me well. Could not be happier with it.

Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:01 AM.
        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

I might have missed it but what are the sizes of the Dutch Oven and skillet?
          sigpic

Comment

Here's mine..... It's a Martha Stewart model..... Wife got it for me for Christmas aboot 5-6+- years ago from Macy's..... Honestly, I have only used it maybe 8-10 times since I got it..... But I have no complaints.... Made Mad Hunky chicken & ham chowder in it tonight, but have done a few stews & it's great for whole chickens...... It's pretty heavy, as most I have looked at are & has the dimpled basting lid..... 11" wide X 5.25" deep..... I threw away the box, so I'm not sure of the actual size rating, but I would call it "Just Right"....BUTT, I think it was made in China .... I'm not sure on the cost but so far I would highly recommend it. I can see it lasting my lifetime & perhaps my kids also.

sigpic

Comment

Bump...anyone got any enameled cast iron to share?
              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Fontignac for sure. Made in France but extremely durable and even cooking. Never had one stain or crack. Well worth the investment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405633710.760772.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1405633725.043661.jpg
                sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                  Bump...anyone got any enameled cast iron to share?

This is now a sticky..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                    Mine is a Lodge 6 quart model that I bought years ago after reading the reviews in Cook's Illustrated. As I remember it was about $39.00 as is still serving me well. Could not be happier with it.

I have the same pretty blue Lodge and love it!
                    Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:02 AM.
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

A couple of years ago I bought one from Aldi's. (Grocery chain) I got it on sale so I either paid 19.99 or 24.99 things are very seasonal there and a lot of items they don't repeat!

Right now they have a Dutch oven at Sams Club for $39.99. Check it out! (Sorry, no pics)

Comment

Mine is the same as Hoser's except it is red like BBQ Engineer's. Lodge, was about 40 bones several years ago. I use it all the time. Used it yesterday to make home made chicken noodle soup.
                        A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Sorry no pictures, but we were given Le Crueset when my wife and I got married. Not the China made but the stuff made in France. I'd never spend the money if I was buying it. We have a 1 1/2 quart pot and a 5-6 quart (I think). We also bought the Martha Stewart one from Macy's as we had some gift card stuff to use and the thing was $25 on sale (5-6 quart). I use that 1 1/2 quart guy all the time. Just looked at a 2-3 quart Le Crueset, $225!!!! Yeah that won't be under the Christmas tree! We use the two larger ones all the time, both work great. Wife made chili last night for us in the Martha one. I think they are one of the best pots to use when making tomato, or cream based soups and chowders.

I have been warned that they are not for outdoor use and if found to be outdoors I will be bludgeoned to death by said enameled pots!
                          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                          iGrill Therm

Comment

I just picked up the same one Hoser has over the weekend. $49 if I remember right. Normally $89 (which I would never pay for what it is) or some stupidly high number like that. Have to find something good to make for it's maiden voyage.
                            Mike
                            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Show and Review your enameled Dutch Oven - A buyers guide

Okay so I was close. Got home and the Martha S is a 8 quart

Le Creuset is a 5 1/2 Quart

And the little guy is as stated above 1 1/2 quart

Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                              iGrill Therm

Comment

Working...
                              X