1st Try at Dutch Oven Cooking - Store Bought Biscuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Try at Dutch Oven Cooking - Store Bought Biscuits

Yes, I said store bought. I decided this was the year to learn how to use a 10" DO that I have had a couple of years, and do some outdoor cooking at the farm. I decided to start with something simple but I left all my information I had about DO cooking at home and I wasn't sure how many coals to use. So I put 10 under and 10 on top. I know that was not correct but my biscuits baked OK...just took them a little longer than normal. Next time I will not leave the temp chart at home and I will also put the coals on the bottom in a ring.

Sorry if this bores you DO pros, but again, I'm just a beginner.

Is it OK to put this directly on the ground or should I have a piece of metal under it?

Fried potatoes and country ham in foil on Little Joe

Didn't turn out bad at all.

And the leaves are starting to change...

Thanks for viewing my experiment. Lid lifter and lid holder on my shopping list. I'm open to any criticism, suggestions and / or tips. And ideas for what to fix this weekend.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Awesome Becky! I recently purchased a tri-pod for my DO. Just waiting until it cools off enough to do a little experimenting meself. What book do you have?

Comment

Looks really good Pioneer Becky.
      sigpic

Comment

Looks delicous....

Most of my D.O. experiences is with stews....My brother real good at the biscuits and dessert...

Big old chuckie with taters, carrots etc...a perty set and forget,but you obviously need a lot more heat for a stew...I use a tripod that has chain that holds D.O. over a fire/coals...

Keep pics coming Pioneer Becky....

Neat thread...Hopefully some of the pro's chime in with techniques etc..
        Last edited by ALX; 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

2 cool looks great
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Re:

Anyone here who would like some good Dutch Oven recipes may want to
            check the Boy Scout site as there are many tried and true good recipes there.

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

This may be helpful for those who are new and wanting to master this skill.
            The heat by number of briquettes chart will be a big help for first timers.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml

As a suggestion, if you have a old metal wheelbarrow place a shovel or three of sand in the bottom of it and use it as a platform for your oven(s). It will help to save your back.

A lid lifter can be made from a piece of "re-bar" or "all thread" rod you could pick up on a scrap yard. Take a hacksaw and cut off a four or five inch piece to weld to the curved hook on the bottom. Then have a friend with some welding equipment heat the end and bend the hook. Once done weld the five inch piece to the back of it. For a handle you can improvise about anything. I've got a piece of garden hose on the end of mine and it works just fine. The hook can insert under the lid

Like you see here. It could also lift the wire handle of the oven too.

Ps. If you have new ovens or old ones which need to be re-seasoned. Flax seed oil does a fine job and doesn't go rancid. But some folks still use lard or bacon grease.
            Last edited by eDJ; 09-20-2011, 06:48 PM.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Looks great Becky.. And no this is not boring.. I have been cooking in D.O's for a very long time and never tried biscuits.. So there you have it.,..

Now.. I think I need to find me a head hunter and let them find ncdodave.. Where are you Dave...
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

You get after it Cat Momma!...I got a 55 gal. drum I sliced in about a 3 foot height & got it on bricks to keep it from rustin ...whacked the bottom in the center with a ball peen hammer & made a drain hole....coals on the bottom & get after it...just me redneck cookin table...
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  You get after it Cat Momma!...I got a 55 gal. drum I sliced in about a 3 foot height & got it on bricks to keep it from rustin ...whacked the bottom in the center with a ball peen hammer & made a drain hole....coals on the bottom & get after it...just me redneck cookin table...
                  As if we expected something else

Becky I wish I had one to play with too...looks like a cool deal
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    As if we expected something else

Becky I wish I had one to play with too...looks like a cool deal
                    Aight...I'll get some pic's...been loose with me Dad...It works...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I think I read one time that a good rule of thumb is every briquette= 14 degrees,I have also read that a good starting point is 10 on the bottom and 14 on top 24X14=336 degrees.and that be about all I know

it looks like you have it down pat there Becky
                      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                      members mark upright propane smoker
                      kingsford bbq
                      23"weber kettle

Comment

My humble opinion...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          Looks great Becky.. And no this is not boring.. I have been cooking in D.O's for a very long time and never tried biscuits.. So there you have it.,..

Now.. I think I need to find me a head hunter and let them find ncdodave.. Where are you Dave...

I have to agree with the Boss ... Never done biscuits in mine ...

to ya for a great post ...

Comment

Becky,
                            I think it is awesome that you're trying this! I've had some great meals (prepared by other folks!) outta DO's. Definitely a lot of skill involved. on your biscuits!

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                              What book do you have?
                              Book....?? Haven't bought any books yet. I have the little booklet that came with the DO but have been mostly reading the internet and lurking some DO forums and taking notes. Do you have a good book in mind to suggest? Dutch Ovens for Dummies, perhaps?

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                              ...Pioneer Becky.
                              Originally posted by ALX View Post
                              Keep pics coming Pioneer Becky
                              Wait until you see my Daniel Boone 'coon skin hat!

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                              http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

This may be helpful for those who are new and wanting to master this skill.
                              The heat by number of briquettes chart will be a big help for first timers.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/campfire-cooking.shtml
                              Thanks for the links and suggestions, eDJ! Some great info right there!

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              Looks great Becky.. And no this is not boring..
                              Thanks, TH...I hesitated to post this yesterday because it was something pretty simple.

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              Aight...I'll get some pic's...been loose with me Dad...It works...
                              Hope you're Dad is still fighting! Would love to see some pics when you get a chance.
                              Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                              Weber Smokey Joe
                              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                              Pink Thermapen
                              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                              X