Aluminum Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Dutch Oven

I know it's not a cast iron question (mods feel free to move), but I'm wondering if any of the dutch oven afficianados have used or do use aluminum ovens at all. I'm by no means a dutch oven expert, but do know my way around them some. For some time I've contemplated getting an aluminum dutch oven to minimize weight on our pack trips and float trips. They weigh about a third as much as a cast oven. Aluminum can be a touchy material for cooking, prone to hot spots, etc. Appreciate any help.
    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Interesting question MP..... Looking forward to some thoughts..... I used to have a Teflon or something coated aluminum skillet & would pack in place of the CI skillet.... HUGE weight difference.

So what would be the criteria for considering an aluminum pot with a lid a DO? ..... Thickness? ..... Just curious?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Interesting question MP..... Looking forward to some thoughts..... I used to have a Teflon or something coated aluminum skillet & would pack in place of the CI skillet.... HUGE weight difference.

So what would be the criteria for considering an aluminum pot with a lid a DO? ..... Thickness? ..... Just curious?
      Well, I'm referring specifically to actual aluminum dutch ovens. GSI and Camp Chef make them, among others. These are the ones I've considered;

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...ed_dutch_oven/
      http://www.campchef.com/dutch-ovens/...tch-ovens.html
      sigpic

Comment

I've seen them on REI.com, pretty slick and pricey...if you pull the trigger, I'll be interested in hearing what you have to say.

One plus: no worries on rust!

I'm sure that if you rotate the top, and the bottom, 1/4 turns every so often you'll minimize hot spots pretty well...that's what I do with my CI anyway.

here are some good reviews, but I don't have personal experience:

http://www.rei.com/product/732083/gs...utch-oven-5-qt
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Weber 22.5" Silver
        Weber Performer Platinum
        Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
        Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
        [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

I'm also thinking I like the GSI's higher lip...be a bit harder for ash to spill in when you lift the lid. Make fun of me if you want...I've had it happen before.
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Weber 22.5" Silver
          Weber Performer Platinum
          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

Nice looking gear
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fat_Head_Carl View Post
              I'm also thinking I like the GSI's higher lip...be a bit harder for ash to spill in when you lift the lid. Make fun of me if you want...I've had it happen before.
              Nice catch Why would I laugh, I could see that happening to me sure as hell
              sigpic

Comment

more I think about it...I have a bunch of GSI's camping gear, and its all top notch stuff. it also looks as if the lid loop is steel, and I think that's a plus, as the thin aluminum loop on the Bayou could be subject to breakage in transporting.

(maybe...and maybe I'm talking out of the wrong orifice)
                Weber Smokey Joe
                Weber 22.5" Silver
                Weber Performer Platinum
                [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

If weight is the deciding factor for packing or float trips, they are great.
                  Hard anodized is the way to go on an aluminum oven.

A few adjustments will be needed if you are used to cast iron ovens.
                  Preheating happens much faster with aluminum than cast iron, so much so that I typically wind up over preheating, especially when baking breads.

I also have trouble when factoring in hold over cooking times that I get used to in my cast iron. The aluminum cools off much faster, and occasionally I have had trouble, having everything else for the meal, coming together at the same time. My iron holds serve-able temperatures long enough to not worry about the time, where as the aluminum needs close attention to prevent luke warm or cold food.

Biggest difference is that if you are used to utilizing coals from a campfire, as opposed to utilizing charcoal briquets, the aluminum ovens are not as forgiving. Counting out a given number of briquets, will ratio out to a given cooking temperature, and the aluminum ovens do well. Hot coals from a log fire, however, can apply more heat than the aluminum can tolerate. I find that over heating is very easy to do when using a campfire, as opposed to counting out briquets. No need to ask how I can give you a great deal on a warped one! I've been using iron for well over 40 years, and yes have occasionally applied more heat than was necessary, and had to eat a slightly scorched meal, but never, have I ever, warped a piece of my cast iron.

I think it is all in what you get used to. If I only owned aluminum, it would be easy to learn the ovens. I just have to carefully remember to treat them as completely different animals. I like my aluminum (#2, the un-warped one) for canoe camping only.
                  Louisiana by birth, stayed for the FOOD

Comment

I looked at a Camp Chef one at Sportsman's Warehouse recently and it looked like it was made well. I contemplated buying one but decided I like the CI better because it holds heat longer. But I do not go on camping trips like you and I can see why you may want something lighter to take along.

So in other words, I'm no help!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
                      Well, I'm referring specifically to actual aluminum dutch ovens. GSI and Camp Chef make them, among others. These are the ones I've considered;

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...ed_dutch_oven/
                      http://www.campchef.com/dutch-ovens/...tch-ovens.html

i am sure you are thinking of weight saving when packing in to elk camp... i thought about getting one too but bro in law wont hardly drink out of an alum can... so i just passed on it.
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

I use my Club aluminum Dutch Ovens (1950's) all the time. I have a complete set (I think). I do use them camping but on a traditional type stove or on a fire. They have Bakelite handles on the top so I don't think I try putting coals on the top. They also do not gave a ridge around the top to hold the coals on. I know both Wagner and Griswold both made them, but I have not tried one.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

bear in mind that aluminium cookware is linked to an increasing chance of early onset alzheimers.
                          Aluminium is acool metal - but you don't want it in your bloodstream.

Personally I try not to use ANY aluminium cookware - ever.

Ah (looks at actual cookware in question) - ok that side of things has been sorted, anodised and non-reactive.
                          In that case - sure, why not :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

WHAT C.A. said. I avoid all aluminum cookware especially pots and pans.

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            bear in mind that aluminium cookware is linked to an increasing chance of early onset alzheimers.
                            Aluminium is acool metal - but you don't want it in your bloodstream.

Personally I try not to use ANY aluminium cookware - ever.

Ah (looks at actual cookware in question) - ok that side of things has been sorted, anodised and non-reactive.
                            In that case - sure, why not :-)

Comment

Lots of good information here folks ,thanks. Not too worried about aluminum and Alzheimers. I've not seen any good studies to support this, only correlatives and theories. Last I saw the current thinking was that Alzheimers pts. sequester larger amts. of aluminum in brain tissues and plaques, but it wasn't felt the aluminum caused the disease. We know for an absolute fact that cholesterol, and fat in our diets contribute significantly to heart disease, but we are all knowingly eating it every day, as do I (I am a cardiology nurse by profession mind you) but thanks for the concern. I'm not going to touch on nitrites, nitrates and cancer
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X