Smokin joe's BBQ-SPRAYER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokin joe's BBQ-SPRAYER

I picked up a brand new sealed smokin joe BBQ sprayer for Christmas and unpackaged it to use this weekend. Upon unscrewing the top I noticed a strong smell like diesel oil in the reservoir. I washed it out and let it air dry all weekend, never used it because the odor was so bad. Due to the odor I do not feel comfortable using this product on my food so I contacted the manufacturer.

Upon contacting the manufacturer:

Hi Tim the smell is in all of them when they make them, we have not found a way to make it go away but time. The smell or taste will not leave it and go to your food. When you are done with it leave open and air out but the smell will stay with it for some time but will not hurt you.

Not sure how I feel about this, I mean this thing stinks way too bad to use IMO.

Anyone else have any experience with this product?
    sigpic

I've had plastic containers kind of stink when they are new and when I put water in them they will taste like plastic for quite a while but usually it will eventually go away. If it can make your water taste bad I would be worried that it would give an off flavor to your meat as well. Can you put some water or maybe even vinegar/water it in and randomly keep changing out the water until the smell is gone. Just thinking out loud here.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Comment

I would try Vinegar----Maybe even heated straight Vinegar.
      Leave it in a few days.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

That sure does not sound right to me - Like the others said give some vinegar a try but my guess is that the manufacturer already did with no change in the odor
        Scarbelly

Comment

My wife runs into this problem from time to time. She alternately uses vinegar and lets it sit in there for a day, then air dry. After a day of air drying, she'll put some coffee grounds in and let that sit for a day or two, then rinse out and sit for a day. That usually gets rid of odors in plastic containers (old non used fridges and freezers).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
            My wife runs into this problem from time to time. She alternately uses vinegar and lets it sit in there for a day, then air dry. After a day of air drying, she'll put some coffee grounds in and let that sit for a day or two, then rinse out and sit for a day. That usually gets rid of odors in plastic containers (old non used fridges and freezers).
            Acids and...yup...try some voddie too. Cheap of course. Could prolly use isopropyl really... it will evap quickly after emptying.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I don't know guys. Is this sprayer even food safe, never mentioned it on the website and I guess that detail passed by me when I ordered since I assumed it was? This is not a new plastic smell, it smells like diesel fuel inside the liquid container. No amount of vodka or time will remove that smell. Maybe from the oil in the pump or something, but I'm not going to use this thing on food at this point. Should have stuck with the cheapie sprayers, buyer beware I suppose.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinTim View Post
                I don't know guys. Is this sprayer even food safe, never mentioned it on the website and I guess that detail passed by me when I ordered since I assumed it was? This is not a new plastic smell, it smells like diesel fuel inside the liquid container. No amount of vodka or time will remove that smell. Maybe from the oil in the pump or something, but I'm not going to use this thing on food at this point. Should have stuck with the cheapie sprayers, buyer beware I suppose.
                Hmmm try heat. 130 or so...let it "cook" out?
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Acids and...yup...try some voddie too. Cheap of course. Could prolly use isopropyl really... it will evap quickly after emptying.
                  I think I can find a better use for vodka, if I just do a little looking around here, probably have some little itty bitty glasses that might fill up nicely with just a little bit
                  sigpic

Comment

Had some bad smelling pork once - next time I'm going to try the vinegar wash and hope for the best.....
                    www.nopigleftbehind.com
                    -----------------------------

Comment

I recently ordered some plastic spray bnottles also. Question came up if they were food grade from here on the forum. Something I didn't even think aboot til then. They should be here soon and I will find out first before using. Hopefully no diesel smell either?
                      sigpic

Comment

Tim, take a look at this thread.. LINK and see if yo have any of these markings on your bottle..
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Hi Tim,

I have one of these and I got it at Home Depot for About 6 bux.

I just looked and it has the 2 triangle on it...from Blowin Smoke's post about plastics...

HDPE (high density polyethylene) is used in milk, juice and water containers in order to take advantage of its excellent protective barrier properties. Its chemical resistance properties also make it well suited for items such as containers for household chemicals and detergents. Most five gallon food buckets are made from HDPE. Examples: Milk bottles, shopping bags

Based on that, I believe it to be acceptable. It works great, was cheap (and therefore disposable), and hold enough for an entire weekend of heavy smoking. I think I would send the diesel smelling thing back.
                          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post

Based on that, I believe it to be acceptable.
                            The following is also quoted from Blowin' Smokes' thread...

Not All HDPE Containers Are Food Grade
                            ....There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the symbol are food grade containers. This is not true.

If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade
                            Rudy

sigpic
                            GOSM Big Block
                            SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                            22.5" Weber Kettle
                            Smokey Joe for the RV
                            Assorted Digital Thermos
                            and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Originally posted by Rednose View Post
                              The following is also quoted from Blowin' Smokes' thread...

Not All HDPE Containers Are Food Grade
                              ....There is a common misconception that all containers made of white plastic or HDPE plastic bearing the symbol are food grade containers. This is not true.

If you are considering the purchase of a container from some place other than a kitchen or restaurant supply store, and the container is not clearly labeled as "food safe" or being made of food grade plastic, then you should assume that it is not food grade
                              Thanks Red...missed that part. Scratch what I said...except sending the diesel smelling one back.
                              Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM.
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                              X