1 TBS Bleach to 1 gal water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    So, the cold water (under 110*) does not "kill" the sterilizing properties of bleach? ..... Also, I'm guessing 1 capful is less than 1 oz. of bleach, maybe 1/2 of 1 oz.?

Good stuff gentleman
    A capfull is roughly a tablespoon.

Nothing stops bleach. cold, hot, as long as it's recently mixed it's gonna kill stuff.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
      It also does not work in water hotter than 110 F. It turns to water and chlorine gas.
      Basis for me question
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        So, the cold water (under 110*) does not "kill" the sterilizing properties of bleach? ..... Also, I'm guessing 1 capful is less than 1 oz. of bleach, maybe 1/2 of 1 oz.?

Good stuff gentleman
        Just what I learned in Boy scouts, from hunting guides, and working my way through college as a grill cook. I've heard hot water makes bleach less effective. I have no idea but was always taught hot soapy water to wash. Hottest water you can stand for rinse, and cold water for the bleach to be in. And I've measured it 1 cap on a standard gallon size bottle of bleach is one tablespoon. Also the cap on most bottles of salad dressing is also 1 TBSP makes for easy measuring if you are on a diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          A capfull is roughly a tablespoon.

Nothing stops bleach. cold, hot, as long as it's recently mixed it's gonna kill stuff.
          Ahhh I see now...yes bleach does decompose pretty quick in hotter water... it won't "not work" but it won't work for long... how long? dunno. Soo yeah keep the sanitizing stuff cool.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            well, unless it went BANG!
            Different type of sterilization method........

Water over 130 F will stop bleach very fast.. the chlorine volitalizes and you are left with hot water.

Yes cold water works, however it takes a little longer to work cold. Between 80 and 110 F is most effective.
            Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Hence I have wondered why when I left my bottle of spray bleach water solution outside in the sun for a whole day or 2 that it does not even have a bleach smell at all to it anymore, meaning I rendered it ineffective I guess... I won't do that anymore.

I use that to give the white plastic tables a once over after cleaning them.
              OKJoe's Longhorn Combo ►Traeger 575 Bronze ►Weber Q series
              ThermaPEN-Mk4 ►MEATERx2 ►FireBoard|||| and SPARK► Smokin-it Smoke Generator► INKBIRD Sous Vide► GrillGrates
              and accessories out the ying-yang

Comment

Originally posted by bbally View Post
                No it is an acid. Common misunderstanding but due to PH and the fact it is double acting is an acid not a caustic....

Sodium Hydroxide is the caustic version of Sodium... known as Caustic soda.

And a Potassium version would be Causti potash....

Thanks for the clarification. And that is why it explains why my knifes ended up with notches in them when my kid mixed up the sanitizing. Too much is as bad as too little.
                Last edited by nickelmore; 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglewing View Post
                  Hence I have wondered why when I left my bottle of spray bleach water solution outside in the sun for a whole day or 2 that it does not even have a bleach smell at all to it anymore, meaning I rendered it ineffective I guess... I won't do that anymore.

I use that to give the white plastic tables a once over after cleaning them.
                  Even in the best conditions 1.5 hours is all it is good for........ Food code requires us to mix new every hour in the commercial kitchen.
                  Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

Bleach is one of the most disgusting smells there is, unless I'm allergic to it.
                    I can only stand it outside in the air.
                    It didn't take much of it to wash my whole log house before the first stain & oil finish it got, right after building.
                    I once walked out of a restaurant, after waiting 20 minutes for a breakfast I ordered, because they decided to mop the floor (including next to my table) with Clorox in the water. Figured it was better than barfing in their restaurant!

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

According to clorox bleach is the most effective sanitizer and also great for the environment as it breaks down to nothing but salt water. I have used it straight on stainless steel and never had pitting. You are only supposed to soak it in the proper mixture for a couple minutes. There is a lot of false info regarding bleach i would suggest going to clorox.com and read all the information. Also they have a contact email one can use to ask questions.
                      Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                      Disabled
                      Member American Legion
                      Life Member NRA
                      Life Member ARRL

Comment

Working...
                      X