2 Day Chicken Soup With The Renowned 'Universal Stock Cube Substitute'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Day Chicken Soup With The Renowned 'Universal Stock Cube Substitute'

So I had this chicken carcase to dispose of: Chicken Soup time !

Now there are as many recipes for chicken soup as there are jewish mothers. This is just how I make it. I'm not claiming any definitive version here, just my own recipe :-)

We start with some veggies:

Chop and add to large saucepan with a couple tbs hot olive oil - can't shake the feeling I've forgotten something

Add my universal stock cube substitute - 3 tsps in this case.

cook the veggies untill you remember what you forgot !

Now we're cooking lol
    stick the lid on and let the veggies steam for 10-15 minutes.
    then turn up the heat and add the chicken bits.

Treat it like a stir fry for 10 minutes or so. Until most of the pink is gone.

Add enough water to comfortably cover the chicken carcase and then simmer with the lid on for 1.5 - 2 hours.

After about 2 hours turn off the heat and leave to cool overnight. This is why it's called 2 day chicken soup - takes 2 days to make it :-)

The next day carefully fish all the bones out into a bowl and then seperate any attached meat into another bowl.

Now take your stick blender - don't have one ? Why the hell not, they're cheap and incredibly useful - go buy one now !
    Done that ? Good - carry on

Blend the veggies to a smooth consistency. There are people in this world who who like lumps in their soup (some even add noodles - there's a special circle of hell reserved for them) - I'm not one of them :-)

Now add the meat back into the soup and bring to a low simmer(lots of steam, no actual boiling) (meat does not count as lumps).
    You want to reduce by 1/4 - 1/3. during this time add salt and pepper to season to your own taste.

Serve with homemade buttered bread - and that's lunch !

I had enough soup left over for three more lunches. So that went into soup bags and into the freezer.

You can also use it as a kick-arse chicken stock.

And that's how I make chicken soup :-)
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

You use Mad Hunky for a bullion base? Huh... had you mentioned that before? Maybe I missed that. Interesting...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

yep also use it in my butternut squash and stilton soup

works a treat.

Less salt, more flavour and a little bit of heat.

bouillion cubes are simply salt and hydrolysed yeast. mainly salt.

MH works great, adds less salt and more overall flavours.
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sounds like a tasty soup, nice tutorial though I'm one of those bound for Hell I suppose cause for me it's chicken noodle soup all the way, unless it's cream of chicken soup but that's a whole different discussion.
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Nice job Alex

I use the Mad Hunky as a base flavor for me chicken corn chowder too
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
            Sounds like a tasty soup, nice tutorial though I'm one of those bound for Hell I suppose cause for me it's chicken noodle soup all the way, unless it's cream of chicken soup but that's a whole different discussion.
            lol I figger we're all bound for hell one way or another - but chicken noodle soup should always be served without the noodles
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              You use Mad Hunky for a bullion base? Huh... had you mentioned that before? Maybe I missed that. Interesting...

You are making note of all the uses for your rub right??
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                lol I figger we're all bound for hell one way or another - but chicken noodle soup should always be served without the noodles
                Oy Vey! And I thought it was the taxation thingie that got us Colonials up in arms...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice!!

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                  ... though I'm one of those bound for Hell...
                  Yep, me too!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

I'll take a bowl of that please. for going noodleless Don't get me wrong, love me some homemade noodles in me broth, but sometimes, especially if the broth is off the chain I want to slurp the crap out of it. I do really like the fried wontons to dip in a good bowl of chicken soup too. Yummy.

Comment

I like to add fresh chunk chopped veggies after the stock is pureed with the flavoring veggies and cook em. Butt that looks good.I

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                        I'll take a bowl of that please. for going noodleless Don't get me wrong, love me some homemade noodles in me broth, but sometimes, especially if the broth is off the chain I want to slurp the crap out of it. I do really like the fried wontons to dip in a good bowl of chicken soup too. Yummy.
                        Wontons for dipping, I will accept :-)

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                        I like to add fresh chunk chopped veggies after the stock is pureed with the flavoring veggies and cook em. Butt that looks good.I
                        But you sir are going to hell !
                        Of course after cooking the chunked veggies you could always blend it again - that'd get you back up at the pearly gates, no problem
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

9 times out of 10 I gots to have noodles in my soup, but if not then I use either rice or dumplings.
                          I guess at least it going to be warm where I'm headed.

ut then on the other hand since you're using MH in it already you could always add a little chili powder to kick up the heat and add some fried tortill strips to it too!

Comment

Heh heh, you said rice. See you in hell John, after you sir

Originally posted by . MichCh ef View Post
                            9 times out of 10 I gots to have noodles in my soup, but if not then I use either rice or dumplings.
                            I guess at least it going to be warm where I'm headed.

ut then on the other hand since you're using MH in it already you could always add a little chili powder to kick up the heat and add some fried tortill strips to it too!
                            IT giGi bu

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                              Heh heh, you said rice. See you in hell John, after you sir
                              I'll have chilled drinks for ya both... see, I got a deal...

Comment

Working...
                              X