Is this mold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this mold?

I am making some jerky. Some beef and some deer. It is three recipes with some additional things on different parts of the batches to try things out.
    On the straight teriyaki which is a kikkoman marinade, and only on one portion of it I have these spots when I flipped them over. It isn't on all of them but on several pieces. I am thinking that something was on the grate I used to smoke them and when I transferred to the dehydrator I created the perfect environment? That or something just got on it from the grate. I used different grates for the different types and this is the only one that looks like this?

Also, if it is mold can I just cut off the pieces or should I toss the whole thing? To that end, should I toss the ones that have no spots? Not sure what to do here
    I don't want to waste it but I don't want to make anyone sick either. I used tenderquick for about a 20 hour cure on these. About 1 1/2 TB for 2lbs of meat. As I said, NONE of the rest has any spots at all. Beef nor venison.

I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Cant say with 100% certainty, but it does look to be mold. I cannot think of anything else that color or texture that would look like that. When in doubt.....
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

I'm with IC, hard to tell. Could be mold. The only other thing I could think of is maybe you got a concentrated spot of salt right there and it crystalized as it dried? Dunno on that one though. From what I understand white mold is ok though... Think Italian dry salami. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in shortly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
        I'm with IC, hard to tell. Could be mold. The only other thing I could think of is maybe you got a concentrated spot of salt right there and it crystalized as it dried? Dunno on that one though. From what I understand white mold is ok though... Think Italian dry salami. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in shortly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
        First thing you learn in college level microbiology is that there is no way to determine the type of mold/bacteria/yeast, simply by looking at it. If you didn't innoculate it with a pure culture yourself, then you really don't know. The round shape of the suspected spots looks too much like a colony of something.

Comment

Sorry to say but best to toss it.
          Looks like mold to me too so I wouldn't risk it.
          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
            First thing you learn in college level microbiology is that there is no way to determine the type of mold/bacteria/yeast, simply by looking at it. If you didn't innoculate it with a pure culture yourself, then you really don't know. The round shape of the suspected spots looks too much like a colony of something.
            This is what I thought too. At fisrt I considered that there was some carbon or something but the shape led me to think otherwise. In addition, there are more spots now on pretty much all of it that came off of that particular grate.

I threw it all out.

So I am thinking that even though this has never happened before, perhaps if the night before I stick all the grates in the oven at say 350*? Then shut it off and go to bed? What would be the best way to do that? Anyone?

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
              This is what I thought too. At fisrt I considered that there was some carbon or something but the shape led me to think otherwise. In addition, there are more spots now on pretty much all of it that came off of that particular grate.

I threw it all out.

So I am thinking that even though this has never happened before, perhaps if the night before I stick all the grates in the oven at say 350*? Then shut it off and go to bed? What would be the best way to do that? Anyone?
              Sanitize them before hand with 1/2 capful unscented bleach in 1 gallon of water, by either spraying the solution on them, soaking them, or using a dripping rag to thoughorly soak them, and then air dry. Probably want to do the whole dehydrator too.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't throw out the rest of the jerky that was on the other racks. No spots on any of that. You think I need to even though there is no sign of mold?

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                  Yeah, I didn't throw out the rest of the jerky that was on the other racks. No spots on any of that. You think I need to even though there is no sign of mold?
                  Your call. If they were below the rack in question, its a no brainer. Were they the same marinade?

I've always been pretty leery of dehydrator jerky, especially if it wasn't cured with nitrate/nitrite. Too much time the danger zone, and always at a low heat....

Comment

hmmmm, I'll have to check it all out. I used tenderquick.

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

weird - given that there is a lot of white, not just the big spots. IN fact if you lppk closely it's in ALL the little crevices as well.

what times and temps did you use ?

It certainly looks like mold. Probably too white to be salt crystals.

what sort of texture did it have when you poked it ?

I pretty much make all my jerky in the dehydrator. Never had any kind of problem. Tend to run it at around 130 for 7 hours and 148 for 30 mins.

you did say you smoked it first ?
                      what sort of temps ?

And as surface mold is caused by airborne spores, it's not generally effected by cure.

Definitely have to ditch it.
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM.
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Well, I threw out all of the stuff in question. The rest is fine and tastes great. No sign of mold anywhere. All the stuff on that one rack is what was affected. the jerky was cold smoked for 4 hours. Well, it was over a hundred outside so..... Anyway, it goes in the dehydrator at 160* and that is where the spots showed up when I flipped it. I will take some extra precautions in the future. I have made probably a dozen or more batches with this method now and never had a problem. Obviously, something got onto that one rack so a little bleach spray the night before and I will throw them in a warm oven to dry out after a rinse. Should be good to go for the jerky process the next day.

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

I know it is late and you threw it out but it really looked like salt crystals. Next time taste it. A wet finger and touch to tongue and you will know. You can also rub down the meat with vinegar and clean it off and it will be fine. I make lots of jerky as do millions of people around the world and it works fine. The USDA wants you to cook in oven quickly and then put in Dehydrator. I absolutely will never do that. The better safe then sorry rule would have me wearing a fire suit and helmet while driving my car. Time proved methods are good enough for me. However for the record i do use cure # 1 in my jerky now. So i do make some concessions. The end result is you have to be comfortable with how you make you Jerky, sausage etc,
                          Karl
                          Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                          Disabled
                          Member American Legion
                          Life Member NRA
                          Life Member ARRL

Comment

I would not use bleach spray and let sit over night. Just let it sit for a few minutes before using and then rinse of.
                            That is according to Clorox and the USDA
                            Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
                            Disabled
                            Member American Legion
                            Life Member NRA
                            Life Member ARRL

Comment

Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
                              I know it is late and you threw it out but it really looked like salt crystals. Next time taste it. A wet finger and touch to tongue and you will know. You can also rub down the meat with vinegar and clean it off and it will be fine. I make lots of jerky as do millions of people around the world and it works fine. The USDA wants you to cook in oven quickly and then put in Dehydrator. I absolutely will never do that. The better safe then sorry rule would have me wearing a fire suit and helmet while driving my car. Time proved methods are good enough for me. However for the record i do use cure # 1 in my jerky now. So i do make some concessions. The end result is you have to be comfortable with how you make you Jerky, sausage etc,
                              Karl
                              Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
                              I would not use bleach spray and let sit over night. Just let it sit for a few minutes before using and then rinse of.
                              That is according to Clorox and the USDA
                              Well, I wouldnt recommend either one, best case is nothing happens, middle of the road, you get a bad case of the turbo shits, and worst case is you kill youself or someone else. Clean your grates well, with a toothbrush, soap and water, rinse, sanitize, and hopefully avoid any further contamination. Would you eat anything knowing that the mold was cleaned off prior to purchase?

Comment

Working...
                              X