"Transylvanian" Goulash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
    if you think it looks good on the screen, dean - wait until you have a steaming plate of it sitting in front of you as you sit down to the table with grey skies and falling snow out the window. this is PERFECT food for those kind of days!
    Oh yeah, a definite winter meal there! I love goulash, especially when it's cold... nothing like a good meal that will stick to your bones! Pure comfort food there!
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
      That's the Hungarian version of Spaetzle....don't remember the name though.
      Hmmm I'll risk a gross butchering of Hungarian.. phonetically..."Nukedli" Same as what is used i paprikash and a couple other dishes.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Hmmm I'll risk a gross butchering of Hungarian.. phonetically..."Nukedli" Same as what is used i paprikash and a couple other dishes.
        easy-peasy stuff ~ if anyone wants to try it, here's how to do it:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....topic2809.html
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I think I might give this a shot and let it cook in the crockpot and see how it turns out.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

ross - this should work very well in the crock pot - a couple of things:

pre-searing the pork is optional, but at the very least, you will want to pre-cook the onions:

saute them in some kind of fat (first choice, pork fat; second choice, butter; 3rd choice olive oil; 4th choice, don't bother....) over medium heat until they just start to brown up, then add the garlic for a moment or two, then remove from the heat and add the paprika, stirring it to melt into everything. then transfer EVERYTHING in the pan to the crock pot.

you should be able to get away with adding everything else to the crock pot without any precooking (you might want to use half the amount of stock/broth/water called for in the recipe), but the step with the onions is essential, in order to get the rich colour and deep flavour that really makes this dish work.
            Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-21-2013, 03:15 PM.
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Cookin it right now with the recipe I have and will post it up and give a review….it freakin smells great!!! Gonna have it over a german speatzle tho
              Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                Cookin it right now with the recipe I have and will post it up and give a review….it freakin smells great!!! Gonna have it over a german speatzle tho
                awesome - lookin' forward to it! hope there's a pic or two, too ~

german spaetzle, hungarian nokedli ~ good stuff, either way!
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

the hungarian doesn't have nutmeg in it does it??? at least I think in the book I got it doesn't. it's amazing what nutmeg does to that !
                  awesome - lookin' forward to it! hope there's a pic or two, too ~

german spaetzle, hungarian nokedli ~ good stuff, either way!
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

my guess is that the nutmeg is a german touch, but no big deal - germany, hungary, austria, slovakia - they're all a little blurred at the borders anyway, and folks on either side of the borders would add their own little touches ~
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

ross - this should work very well in the crock pot - a couple of things:

pre-searing the pork is optional, but at the very least, you will want to pre-cook the onions:

saute them in some kind of fat (first choice, pork fat; second choice, butter; 3rd choice olive oil; 4th choice, don't bother....) over medium heat until they just start to brown up, then add the garlic for a moment or two, then remove from the heat and add the paprika, stirring it to melt into everything. then transfer EVERYTHING in the pan to the crock pot.

you should be able to get away with adding everything else to the crock pot without any precooking (you might want to use half the amount of stock/broth/water called for in the recipe), but the step with the onions is essential, in order to get the rich colour and deep flavour that really makes this dish work.
                      I think I would put everything in the crock except for the cream/flower mix and just add that maybe 30 minutes before I eat or something like. Or maybe it would be fine to cook the whole time as well. I don't know?
                      Propane Smoke Shack
                      UDS
                      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                      sigpic

Comment

aye, i should have mentioned that in my post above. i meant to, but the wheels really start to come off after 40....

the cream/flour mix should go in near the end. it adds a better touch that way, taking advantage of the flavour contrast and the silky texture that will be added ~ 30 minutes out sounds just about right!
                        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Hey Ron,
                          They call us Dutchmen who came to PA----"Pennsylvania Dutchmen".

So I guess since that Vietnam Buddy of mine is a Hunky, we could say he is a "Pennsylvania Transylvanian"????

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

well, john - i'd call him a hero (and you, too!), but i'd say that "pennsylvania hunky" works, too ~
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

well, john - i'd call him a hero (and you, too!), but i'd say that "pennsylvania hunky" works, too ~
                              Ton O Hunkys in PA. That's where my Grandparents first landed..and right into the coal mines. Then G-pa got smart..and learned welding..then aluminum welding..and built B-17's, etc. for the Arsenal of Democracy. Great generation.
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

..and right into the coal mines.
                                slovaks, too - my wife has a ton of relatives she's never met over there.
                                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                                X