1st comp help and advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st comp help and advice needed.

I have entered team Whisky Fish in our first BBQ comp, the only thing we know is that we are gonna have fun with it. I'm here in Victorville now visiting with the gang and I've already been getting great advice from Kelly and Ryan. We are entering everything we can, Brisket, PP, Ribs(St louie), Half Chick, Tri-Tip and peoples choice. Any and all comments and advice is welcome and if any of you has pics of turn in boxes, I'd love to see them.
    I've got one more weekend to prep for it and then it's Game On.

http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?..._West_BBQ_Bash
    Since the grill is part of my rig, I am thinking about using both the smoker and the grill on some items, like finishing the ribs and Chicken over the grill for some char. Any thoughts or experience with this?
    Thanx

JT
    JT

Good Luck JT, I have no experience in them, but could see the competition becoming somewhat of an addiction or obsession once started?.....
    sigpic

Comment

Good luck on your first comp JT, my advice is have fun, enjoy and have a beer. All the best to ya Bud...
      ---------------------------------------------------
      I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      KCBS CBJ

Comment

My word of advice is...Do what ya know...Stay with what ya have been doing for the first comp...Or I would think...The plating should be interesting tho. I personally don't have the patience for that part, but I will sit in front of a smoker for hours go figure....I wish ya the best of luck..and this advice comes from a person that has no comp experience so take it for what it's worth.
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Whisky Fish View Post
          I have entered team Whisky Fish in our first BBQ comp, the only thing we know is that we are gonna have fun with it. I'm here in Victorville now visiting with the gang and I've already been getting great advice from Kelly and Ryan. We are entering everything we can, Brisket, PP, Ribs(St louie), Half Chick, Tri-Tip and peoples choice. Any and all comments and advice is welcome and if any of you has pics of turn in boxes, I'd love to see them.
          I've got one more weekend to prep for it and then it's Game On.

http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?..._West_BBQ_Bash
          Since the grill is part of my rig, I am thinking about using both the smoker and the grill on some items, like finishing the ribs and Chicken over the grill for some char. Any thoughts or experience with this?
          Thanx
          JT
          Jt, been doing comps for a couple of years but only one KCBS comp so far. All of mine have been SCBA comps. We usually do one or maybe two meats in our comps. A couple of things, make sure you are done a little early, don't want to have to rush your cook, another is to fill your turn in box. some judges think if you only give the required amount you did such a bad job on the cook that's all you could find that was good. Talk to some of the more experienced cookers. they will help you if they don't think your just trying to find out what they do. I've been helped alot and try to help when I can. As you said have fun with it!!! Take good notes.....something I'm bad about! But I know it helps! Have a time table when you put the meat on, add charcoal if needed, sauce, foil, etc. Let us know how you did....doug
          www.nopigleftbehind.com
          -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
            My word of advice is...Do what ya know...Stay with what ya have been doing for the first comp.
            Excellent advice. Ryan and Kelly had similar comments. Will do, thanx

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
            fill your turn in box. some judges think if you only give the required amount you did such a bad job on the cook that's all you could find that was good.
            I would have never thought of this. Great tip. Thanx.

JT
            JT

Comment

Working...
            X