Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah. Haha. Manuka is a native hardwood. Pretty much the go to wood for smoking anything here in NZ. Also called Tea Tree in Australia. And feijoa is a fruit. Kinda like a guava.

Comment

Fruit trees usually are good hardwoods to use. They grow apples down your way correct? Apple wood is really nice to use on lamb(which I am sure you have). Also welcome from the Pacific Northwest. Oregon to be exact.

Comment

Yup. I know where I can get some apple wood. Apple smoked lamb sounds really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok_Smoke View Post
          Yup. I know where I can get some apple wood. Apple smoked lamb sounds really good.
          Apple is like the "universal" smoking wood. Nothing is bad with apple that I know of.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

from Utah

Just a tip, after cooking your steak to the desired temp wrap in foil and let it "rest" a little bit to distribute the juices
            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
            Weber 22.5" WSM
            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
            Weber Smokey Joe
            GMG Daniel Boone
            Pit Barrel Cooker
            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
            The Vortex

Comment

Got it. Need to get me some apple wood and tinfoil.

Comment

Way to go Jesse! I am smoking up some bacon and hot Italian sausage now!

I would totally eat those cuts!!!
                Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis Gasser
                Ugly Black Box (Great Outdoors Smokey Mt)

Comment

Mmmmm. Bacon. Yum. Had a look in the freezer before. No bacon but I found a nice scotch fillet, a bola roast and a corned silverside. All home kill. And the wife won't eat home kill, which means they are all mine to eat :-) along with about 5kg (11 lb ) of mince.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok_Smoke View Post
                    Mmmmm. Bacon. Yum. Had a look in the freezer before. No bacon but I found a nice scotch fillet, a bola roast and a corned silverside. All home kill. And the wife won't eat home kill, which means they are all mine to eat :-) along with about 5kg (11 lb ) of mince.
                    Not sure what those other cuts are, but I am assuming "mince" is ground beef? Pork? Kangaroo, Wallaby? just kiddin.... Sounds like you got some smoking lined up for the near future
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah right. I forget that we have different names for some things then you U.S fellows :-)

Silverside is boned out from the top along with the topside and thick flank. In most parts of the U.S., this cut is known as outside or bottom round; it is also known as a rump roast.

A bolar roast is a cut of beef which lies next to the ribs near the shoulder. It is a solid three-cornered piece of meat.

And yes, mince is ground beef :-)

Comment

mince is ground meat.

You'll get used to running a translation in your head tok. These guys just never learned to speak english :-)

And after a year or three you'll start to get blank looks from people you know, as you stop using english and start using american bbq term :-)

You sound like a guy who likes to make stuff.
                        So here's a couple of improved smoke generators - cheap easy to make and effective.

full size smokevark - 18 hours on 1 lb of sawdust/chippings

3 hour cheese smoker

If nothing else it'll give you some ideas. The soldering iron and tin is of limited use and bloody dangerous to boot - plus you have to plug it in.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                          You'll get used to running a translation in your head tok. These guys just never learned to speak english :-)
                          Well..we did once - a LONG time ago. And disliked it. The rest is history
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Boy am I late for this Party!!!

Welcome Jesse---Good to have you join us!!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

OK Tok..I'm closing this thread. You got yer training wheels off..start a new one with a cook

Comment

Working...
                              X