Newbie at it for about 4 hours now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie at it for about 4 hours now...

Found this forum early this morning--about 4:30 Central--as I was starting my very first pork shoulder. I discovered a very lightly used Char-Broil electric smoker at my in-laws' last week and decided to give smoking a try. Started the shoulder about 30 hours ago with a dry rub from a local Kansas City BBQ Mecca and smoking with apple chunks over a 50:50 apple juice/water pan. So far, I've got a nice light smoke (in my opinion) and have been running about 225 degrees after about 3 hours on the smoker.

I've got to say, this is a great forum and I have been soaking up every bit of information I can--almost ready to get out the notepad! Thanks for the help thus far, and anymore advice is much appreciated!

-Seacat

Welcome aboard Seacat... Glad to have you here at Smoked-Meat.. One of the biggest things you will need to invest in, is some good thermos.. One for the smoker and one for the meat.. The ET-732 Comes to mind.. Cooking to temp not time is the way to go if you have not read that here yet..

Oh, We do love pics... Kinda makes those of us that are not smoking feel like we were there...

Feel free to ask questions if you have them...

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Welcome aboard seacat! Lot's of great info here, and lots of great folks!

Sounds like you're on your way to a very yummy dinner. Once the internal temp gets to 165ish, I usually foil, adding some apple juice. Once it hits 195 or so, pull it from the grates, leave the foil on and wrap it in an old towel, then place in an empty cooler for an hour or so. Guar-on-tee the juiciest pork you'll ever have!

You can probably expect a stall in the internal temp at around 150-155. That's normal. Don't adjust your smoker temp, just ride it out.

Good luck!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Nothin wrong with a note pad, I keep a leather bound cooking journal/recipe book. Sounds like you got it going good Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions. Lot of pros around here that love to help
        JT

Comment

good luck seacat !!!!!!! Let us know how it went and like Ken said we LOVE pics
          Jerod
          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
          sigpic

Comment

Question...

I'll definitely start posting some pictures here shortly, at the four hour point. Quick question: I started the seven pound shoulder at 6 a.m. (about 3 hours ago). Dinner is at 7 p.m. tonight. If I get pressed for time, when do you all recommend taking it off the smoker and throwing it in the oven and at what temperature and how long, considering resting time afterwards and pulling time?

Thanks -- Seacat

Comment

It depends if you are going for pulled pork or sliced... For PP do as Hawg suggested.. For sliced you will pull off the smoker around 170 - 180* wrap in foil till time to slice..

Oh On Edit:::

You could be pushing the 7pm for dinner in a watt burner if your going PP.. So you may want to pop the foiled butt in the O... O.. Oovennnn.. Damn that was hard to type.. Temps around 275 - 300* if you are short on time..
              Ken

Comment

You may want to bump up your cooking temp if you can. Like Hawg and Ken were saying cook it to temp, not time. No sin in getting it done early. Foiled and in an ice chest it'll stay piping hot for several hours.
                JT

Comment

You're gonna like it here.

You should be good-to-go for dinner at 7PM. When you hit the 5 hour mark I would start watching the internal temps. Are you going to hit it with some finishing sauce? That's the way I do it but either way, best of luck with the first smoke.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks guys. Let me get this straight: I will start watching at the five hour mark on the temperatures, pushing for 195. After 165, I could theoretically take it out and oven it for the next few hours, correct? How long does this typically take?

I thought about starting about midnight so this wouldn't be an issue, and now I wish I had! Oh well, rookie mistake!

Oh, and I won't be adding any finishing sauce to it. I've noticed that everyone has their own opinions on this, and since its my first go around (with about 25 guests) I don't want to get too crazy. Just some good ol' Kansas City BBQ sauce on the side!

Thanks again -- Seacat

Comment

Welcome Seacat.... I use an electric smoker also for butts/shoulder and @ 225* smoking 1 at a time, can take upwards of 15-16 hours..... As mentioned, you are imparting the smoke on it early on and if you are in a time pinch, its ok to finish in the oven at 275-300*.... And as noted, when foiled/toweled in a cooler will stay HOT for several hours.... Good Luck
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by seacat View Post
                        Thanks guys. Let me get this straight: I will start watching at the five hour mark on the temperatures, pushing for 195. After 165, I could theoretically take it out and oven it for the next few hours, correct? How long does this typically take?

I thought about starting about midnight so this wouldn't be an issue, and now I wish I had! Oh well, rookie mistake!

Oh, and I won't be adding any finishing sauce to it. I've noticed that everyone has their own opinions on this, and since its my first go around (with about 25 guests) I don't want to get too crazy. Just some good ol' Kansas City BBQ sauce on the side!

Thanks again -- Seacat
                        Theoretically you could pull it and shove it in the ooooooooooovvvvvennnn (ouch) at any point but you wanna keep it in that smoke as long as you can. Do you have, and if so what kind, an internal temp thermometer?
                        Last edited by Mark R; 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM. Reason: opps
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

@ 275-300 it won't take long at all to climb that last 30-40 degrees, Dunno maybe an hour
                          Ballsy move tryin your first PP on guests, you're gonna be a rockstar
                          JT

Comment

Oh I forgot,!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by seacat View Post

Thanks again -- Seacat

Yes! Also if you wish, when you are close to the magic temperature you can unfoil so the outside of the butt will crust back up and give you some nice bark before pulling... JMO
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X